AFL Draws biggest surprises

Remove this Banner Ad

Here we go again, what a surprise. The draws out & people are bitchibg about Anzac Day & the dawks sooking about having to play teams on their home grounds, instead of the MCG. :rolleyes:

Anzac Day makes the game, not Essendon, Collingwood or anything else that you mentioned.
Odd then that before we made it an event, crowds on ANZAC Day were nothing special...

But let's not let facts get in the way :)

60,000+ for Geelong v St Kilda, even at the height of their form would be a massive struggle. 80-90,000 is just plain pipe dream material.

And the AFL doesnt give them any sort of leg up. Collingwood v Essendon would still attract 55-60,000 on a bad day, more than Geelong and St Kilda could manage on an outstanding day.

I half agree with your other proposal to ensure one of them played on the day, but even then I feel it couldnt really be considered a blockbuster. I mean, a blockbuster involving the Cats? Or the Dogs or Roos? I dont mean to offend, but the idea to me is laughable.

Are you the worst poster on Big Footy?

Honestly, I do not think I have read a thread of yours which has not been an embarassment to you.

While you are bagging Geelong, please tell me the last time Carlton pulled 85,000 to a home and away game, or 98,000 to a final. Even including your games against Collingwood.

The broadcasters specifically wrote into this contract that Collingwood and Essendon on Anzac Day is a key part of the deal. It's why they pay 780 mill and not 650 mill, when they get to write in requests like this one, like the fact that the Friday night match must involve one Victorian team, like the fact that the Showdowns must be split between the two free to air broadcasters in SA, like the fact that Derbies must be split between the two free to air broadcasters in WA etc etc etc
The broadcasters 5,6,8, whatever number requests are put in exactly the same way as the clubs put in their requests, and the venues put in their requests.
Then, the AFL sits down and says we will try and meet your club's most important requests.
They also sit down and say we will try and meet the broadcasters 5-6 key requests because the money they pay UNDERPINS HALF THE COMPETITION AT LEAST.

Simple rule as Geelong (my boys) have found out this year, is that if you win and the broadcasters like your style of footy, they start asking for you on Friday night.

Collingwood keeps turning up on Friday nights because a truck load of people go to their games (whatever you think of them) and a truck load of people watch their games.

Also, the other nine Victorian clubs keep asking every single year, year after year after year, to play Collingwood at the 'G in round one or two.

Richmond meet North once for the 7th consecutive year. Also play Brisbane once for the 6th time in 7 years, and haven't played them at the MCG since 2001.

Ca v Co, Ca v Es, and Co v Es feature twice each, for the 16th successive year.

Honestly, I do not think I have read a thread of yours which has not been an embarassment to you.

While you are bagging Geelong, please tell me the last time Carlton pulled 85,000 to a home and away game, or 98,000 to a final. Even including your games against Collingwood.

Essendon V Carlton rd 20 2000. Crowd 91,571.

You only got 98,000 to the prelim because you played against Collingwood

I haven't got a problem with the Essendon v Collingwood game being at the MCG on ANZAC Day, they invented it and should get the right to play it every year.
There hasn't been too many years when both sides have been up the top at the same time in the last 12 years, yet it is invarably a close game.

I'm happy that Geelong have been given a chance to play on Anzac Day (night) against the Dockers.

A suggestion could be, why not have a game say Geelong v St Kilda on Anzac Day night every year at Telstra Dome? You would be certain to get around 50,000 to that one every year i'd reckon.

Perhaps, it might detract a little away from the MCG game if neutrals prefer to go to that one or not, but i think an idea like that is worth considering in future seasons.
If you can get two sides playing on Anzac night with membership bases over 30,000, you should be able to fill TD for that game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yay, I have a fan!

Seriously though, the arrogance eminating from you Geelong supporters is blinding. You are deluded to think Geelong is suddenly a powerhouse. Please tell me the last time you got 90,000 to a home and away game? Or 100,000 to a final? Considering you have a mere eight H&A crowds over 70K, where we have 31, should be enough to shut you up, but it wont. 16 premierships to seven should shut you up, but it wont. 36K members after a last finish year to 30K in a flag year should shut you up, but it wont.

If it had have been Carlton up against Collingwood, we would have maxed out the MCG. You aren't in our league support wise. Dont bother.

Yay, I have a fan!

Seriously though, the arrogance eminating from you Geelong supporters is blinding. You are deluded to think Geelong is suddenly a powerhouse. Please tell me the last time you got 90,000 to a home and away game? Or 100,000 to a final? Considering you have a mere eight H&A crowds over 70K, where we have 31, should be enough to shut you up, but it wont. 16 premierships to seven should shut you up, but it wont. 36K members after a last finish year to 30K in a flag year should shut you up, but it wont.

If it had have been Carlton up against Collingwood, we would have maxed out the MCG. You aren't in our league support wise. Dont bother.

Boring:thumbsdown: Boring:thumbsdown: Boring:thumbsdown:

Yay, I have a fan!

Wow, you really are a tool! As has just been mentioned, it has been 7 years since Carlton got a hoe and away crowd bigger than Geelongs this year.

Considering our GF crowd was the biggest in years as well, perhaps thecapacity of the MCG has decreased slightly????????? 100,000??? Just because we dont get 100,000 we are not a big crown puller? Please tell me when was the last time an AFL crowd was 100k? Please tell me if that was before or after the MCG redevelopment.

You say Geelong fans are arrogant. Your posts reek of arrogance, always.

I can imagine what you will be like when Carlton eventually climb the ladder, after 5 years of sustained failure and disgraceful tanking.

Why rotate it when clubs like Melbourne, St Kilda, Geelong, etc. quite obviously dont have the support to justify giving them a big game? I'd rather see a so-so Coll-Ess ANZAC Day game playing in front of a full house than a tight game played between Melb-StK-Haw v Rich-Geel-WB or whoever in front of a half full crowd. And heres the killer- YOU CANT HAVE A BLOCKBUSTER WITHOUT A BIG CROWD. That means that clubs like Geel, NM, WB, StK will never have a BB game and neither should they. They should shut up and accept it.

Rotation is a stupid idea. It completely devalues the concept of an annual event and I for one wouldn't bother watching it if anyone other than Carlton or Collingwood and Essendon were playing.

You're full of it you reckon Geelong wont draw a crowd. Factor in ANZAC Day for any club and you're already adding a bunch of neutrals. Maybe we wont get 90,000 consistently like Collingwood and Essendon, but put us up against another high flying Vic team and hype the shit out of it like they do for Collingwood and Essendon and we'll pull a crowd, don't worry about that.

You're full of it you reckon Geelong wont draw a crowd. Factor in ANZAC Day for any club and you're already adding a bunch of neutrals. Maybe we wont get 90,000 consistently like Collingwood and Essendon, but put us up against another high flying Vic team and hype the shit out of it like they do for Collingwood and Essendon and we'll pull a crowd, don't worry about that.

I hate that the quote has stuffed up haha. i agree with you but it looks like you are quoting me saying that shit!

Quite happy with our draw. Don't mind playing teams like Carlton and Essendon at the Dome - after all, it is their home ground.

However, I still get annoyed when two MCG tenants play at the Dome particularly when the Western Bulldogs play Brisbane at the MCG in the same round.

3 friday nights for hawthorn is an interesting call

had the hawks v st. kilda "shocker" been hiding away on fox sports and not been one of our 8 games on FTA then i reckon we could have got 4 or 5

but it was opportunism at its worse i guess

Hawks don't play Carlton until Rd 22.
North play Hawks twice by Rd 13.
North don't play Carlton until Rd 20.

why is this sort of fixturing a surprise or problem for people?? Its done all the time in the NFL (who btw have a rolling draw so teams know who they're playing and where at least 4 years in advance), and this isnt the first instance where the afl have borrowed an american pro-sport concept.

The fact is, you cant do it by yourself. You need a Carlton, Collingwood or Essendon for the fans to come. Simple as that. And if you have to rely on another team to provide the bulk of the crowd, can you really be said to deserve the game?

You'd pull a reasonable crowd, yes, but not enough to justify giving you arguably the second biggest game of the year. The television networks wouldnt want it that way either. I know I for one wouldnt bother to watch a neutral game involving Geelong.

With a 22 round draw, it will never be equal. 30 weeks is too long, 16 weeks is too short. Get used to it.
if the AFL want to continue with its preferred return match-ups per season, and bring a bit more equity to the draw, then it can pilfer another idea from the NFL - divisions.

Hypothetically:
- 4 divisions;
- an 18 matches per club season;
- each club plays club within its division home & away (6 matches);
- each club plays club outside division once (12 matches);
- division winners proceed to finals (ranked 1 to 4 determined by overall win-loss record);
- next four best teams proceed to finals (ranked 5 to 8 based on overall win-loss record).

east division
brisbane, kangaroos, sydney, bulldogs;

melbourne 1 division
carlton, collingwood, essendon, richmond;

melbourne 2 division
geelong, hawthorn, melbourne, st kilda;

west division
adelaide; fremantle; port adelaide; west coast

the big 2 times a year fixtures remain, clubs will know years in advance who they play and where, and the clubs who play each other twice are intially compared to each other for top 4 finals qualification. all clubs can still meet in the gf.

Wow, you really are a tool! As has just been mentioned, it has been 7 years since Carlton got a hoe and away crowd bigger than Geelongs this year.

Considering our GF crowd was the biggest in years as well, perhaps thecapacity of the MCG has decreased slightly????????? 100,000??? Just because we dont get 100,000 we are not a big crown puller? Please tell me when was the last time an AFL crowd was 100k? Please tell me if that was before or after the MCG redevelopment.

You say Geelong fans are arrogant. Your posts reek of arrogance, always.

I can imagine what you will be like when Carlton eventually climb the ladder, after 5 years of sustained failure and disgraceful tanking.
One thing that amazes me about Geelong supporters is how selective they are with statisitics and what not. Its not how many top 10 picks they have, its how many top seven picks they have. Its not how many flags they have won in the last half a century, its the fact they won the flag this year, so they are therefore better than everyone else. Its not how many crowds they have pulled over the last 10-15 years or so, its how they finally got a people through the gates this year, and they still needed most of that crowd to be Collingwood.

Patheitc. You think after one extremely fortuitous year you are suddenly the greatest team of all, and deserve ANZAC Day, a concept you had nothing to do with creating and promoting? Please. Geelong can go and get ****ed.

if the AFL want to continue with its preferred return match-ups per season, and bring a bit more equity to the draw, then it can pilfer another idea from the NFL - divisions.

Hypothetically:
- 4 divisions;
- an 18 matches per club season;
- each club plays club within its division home & away (6 matches);
- each club plays club outside division once (12 matches);
- division winners proceed to finals (ranked 1 to 4 determined by overall win-loss record);
- next four best teams proceed to finals (ranked 5 to 8 based on overall win-loss record).

east division
brisbane, kangaroos, sydney, bulldogs;

melbourne 1 division
carlton, collingwood, essendon, richmond;

melbourne 2 division
geelong, hawthorn, melbourne, st kilda;

west division
adelaide; fremantle; port adelaide; west coast

the big 2 times a year fixtures remain, clubs will know years in advance who they play and where, and the clubs who play each other twice are intially compared to each other for top 4 finals qualification. all clubs can still meet in the gf.

Hmm. I misread something. Ignore this.

Not a huge fan of this system - I mean, why should Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon and Richmond be in the same group?

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Draws biggest surprises

Remove this Banner Ad

Back