AFL Evolution - Out May 5 - (Cont in LAUNCH THREAD - link in OP)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just came across this -

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-to...tihad-stadium-tournament-20170501-gvwixm.html
If nothing at least it shows the AFL is aware that video games are big business and they are looking to sink more money into that industry which hopefully means we will get AFL video games more frequently.

Yeah this is interesting, and pretty positive news, I think.
Just heard a news report on the radio about it too.

I remember there was talk , maybe 18months/2 years ago, that the AFL was wary about kids being pulled to soccer solely by FIFA. As well as every AFL player and their dog mentioning they play FIFA flat out in their down time.

We haven't really ever had any real confirmation about what (if any) funds the AFL had poured into Evolution but from the noises they made at the time of that discussion and now this esports stuff, they're clearly interested and hopefully putting their money where their mouth is.
I've long thought a really good AFL video game would be a fantastic tool for breaking in deeper to NSW/QLD markets, more than Auskick clinics run by players the kids don't even know.

So if the AFL is serious here it can only bode well for AFL video games.

Last edited:

Yeah this is interesting, and pretty positive news, I think.
Just heard a news report on the radio about it too.

I remember there was talk , maybe 18months/2 years ago, that the AFL was wary about kids being pulled to soccer solely by FIFA. As well as every AFL player and their dog mentioning they play FIFA flat out in their down time.

We haven't really ever had any real confirmation about what (if any) funds the AFL had poured into Evolution but from the noises they made at the time of that discussion and now this esports stuff, they're clearly interested and hopefully putting their money where their mouth is.
I've long thought a really good AFL video game would be a fantastic tool for breaking in deeper to NSW/QLD markets, more than Auskick clinics run by players the kids don't even know.

So if the AFL is serious here it can only bode well for AFL video games.

Big Ant has been saying for years to fund a game, and then give them out to markets unfamiliar to AFL. It didn't say The AFL are going to fund a Football game. Clearly, if The AFL put money into Evolution, it wasn't all that much. It has an arcade look to it, like most low budget games do. Not to say that means it's automatically bad, but you can tell by that it's low budget. I'd say Live 1 has a bit of a AAA look for it's time, or at least attempts to have it.

Big Ant has been saying for years to fund a game, and then give them out to markets unfamiliar to AFL. It didn't say The AFL are going to fund a Football game. Clearly, if The AFL put money into Evolution, it wasn't all that much. It has an arcade look to it, like most low budget games do. Not to say that means it's automatically bad, but you can tell by that it's low budget. I'd say Live 1 has a bit of a AAA look for it's time, or at least attempts to have it.

Yep that's all true.
I'm thinking and hoping though that the AFL takes it more seriously and has deeper pockets post AFL evolution. We know how precious its own brand is to the AFL.

As sceptical as everyone is, I reckon this is only the start of some great shit in terms of AFL video games. If this is even relatively successful I think the AFL are smart enough to inject money into the next release.

I still get depressed thinking what this game should have been. Imagine the AFL's support of Evolution with Big Ant behind the scenes on their 3rd shot at the game. :'(

Still, it's clear now that WW are the horse the AFL are betting on so hopefully they can pull something moderately enjoyable out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still get depressed thinking what this game should have been. Imagine the AFL's support of Evolution with Big Ant behind the scenes on their 3rd shot at the game. :'(

Still, it's clear now that WW are the horse the AFL are betting on so hopefully they can pull something moderately enjoyable out.

I'm sure if there were endless memes, call ups, irl campaigning in support of Big Ant developing the next footy game, The AFL would actually take notice.

Today would be the day that most stores receive their stock. As a former Good Guys employee, even though they aren't a 'dependable' games retailer, games usually did arrive 2-3 days prior to release.

Good luck to those calling and harrassing every retailer in the country! Your efforts, if successful, won't go unnoticed!

How do you know? The Brisbane Lions got their old guernsey back just by fans campaigning for it. Making a lot of noise does open up dialog from the higher ups.
The AFL is a business that has increased its intake revenue by tenfold in the last 2 decades. It does everything for itself first, the fans come a distant second and that's where they won't fold to intimidating tactics.
The only reason the old jumper came back is so the AFL can make money selling merchandise.

The AFL is a business that has increased its intake revenue by tenfold in the last 2 decades. It does everything for itself first, the fans come a distant second and that's where they won't fold to intimidating tactics.
The only reason the old jumper came back is so the AFL can make money selling merchandise.

Lol, suggesting where they could invest in is a intimidation tactic? This isn't just some fan service, it could be done as a marketing strategy. It's already been successfully trialled by FIFA, who know one even heard of before they basically handed their games out, early on. This would be very influential, as they're looking to expand overseas, as well.

Lol, suggesting where they could invest in is a intimidation tactic? This isn't just some fan service, it could be done as a marketing strategy. It's already been successfully trialled by FIFA, who know one even heard of before they basically handed their games out, early on. This would be very influential, as they're looking to expand overseas, as well.
Lol. That's like saying your ex girlfriend could of been a Victoria Secret model. Its nice to dream but we all know your full of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back