AFL Falling Crowd Numbers

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon there is enough demand to fill stadiums. My sense is the prices are wrong. It's like $38 for a GA ticket here in Canberra - why would I pay that as a neutral to sit on a grass mound? Greedy VFL.
The pricing is awful!
Especially bad for season tickets.

Everyone loves a winner.

Port winning and playing great footy... crowds at Footy Park: 35k+
Port losing and/or meh.... crowds at Footy Park: tarpy

Port winning and playing great footy...
crowds at AO: 35K+
Port losing and/or meh....
crowds at AO: 12-30k (non tarpy though)

Same with most teams

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Everyone loves a winner.

Port winning and playing great footy... crowds at Footy Park: 35k+
Port losing and/or meh.... crowds at Footy Park: tarpy

Port winning and playing great footy...
crowds at AO: 35K+
Port losing and/or meh....
crowds at AO: 12-30k (non tarpy though)

Same with most teams

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

If the SMA could sell some tarps they would.

I reckon there is enough demand to fill stadiums. My sense is the prices are wrong. It's like $38 for a GA ticket here in Canberra - why would I pay that as a neutral to sit on a grass mound? Greedy VFL.
It's stupidity by the VFL. If ticket prices at Stadiums was the only or even main revenue source of the AFL then, sure, go classical economics of supply/demand. Ticket prices aren't the only source of stadium revenue. They get plenty from catering, where obviously a crowd of 50k brings in a shit load more than 25k (especially when you factor in how many are season tickets).

Stadium revenue isn't the most important revenue for AFL (and clubs). It's TV rights and sponsorships. It should be a no brainer that it looks better on TV with bigger crowds. This translates to sponsors look better and TV rights hence worth more. Leaving aside reduced ticket / season ticket holder prices would actually get more fans able to go to games (something the AFL doesn't really care about), having the AFL step in to get ticket / season ticket prices down via payments etc. would more than pay via increased sponsor value and TV rights worth.

Keeping prices down should be a win-win-win for the AFL, for fans and sponsors, but nah. They aren't SANFL actively trying to kill their clubs bad, but accidently stabbing someone instead of intentionally is still stabbing them.

If by greedy VFL you mean the administrators at Docklands offices then you are wrong.

The clubs and stadiums have a big say in setting the game day ticket prices. The VFL administrators set the minimum price and the clubs in consultation with the stadiums can charge more than that. Its all about clubs' stadium yields.

From page 932 of the 2022 AFL Record Season Guide the following are the minimum prices the clubs can charge before fees and levies by ticketing agencies;

Adult $27.00
Concession $18.00
Junior $5
Family - 2 adults + 2 children U/15 $54.00
Children under 6 Free

The MCG and to a lesser extent Docklands lends it to having cheap general admin process because of capacity and a culture of walking up to the gate and getting tickets no worries for most games. Those grounds have $27 tickets.

WA and SA clubs have for years had more expensive GA tickets to protect 11 game members and in Subiaco's case excess demand over supply meant they could add an extra premium. Unlike Victoria the walk up market is very different in WA and SA.

At SCG its just ****in expensive like everything else in Sydney, but at one point combo SCG members and Swans members meant there was minimal GA tickets. At the Gabba in 2003-04 when I lived in SE Qld and Brisbane were dominating GA tickets were expensive and shit position.

The AFL minimum 3,000 tickets to be purchased by the public only sets minimum prices and doesn't have any say in how many seats in the 5 or so category most grounds sell. So at some grounds you can only 1,000 seats/tickets might be available in the lowest 2 categories and 2,000 in the highest 3 price categories. Its the clubs not the administrators that do this.

Post-covid, vs GC on a Sunday afternoon, that isn't a bad crowd.
On face value that is true, but without the discounted $30 adult tickets and kids free it would have been a much smaller crowd. The club probably knew it was looking bad which is why they ran the flash sale on Friday afternoon.

On face value that is true, but without the discounted $30 adult tickets and kids free it would have been a much smaller crowd. The club probably knew it was looking bad which is why they ran the flash sale on Friday afternoon.
A few hundred maybe not a few thousand difference due to those cheapies.

That 26,241 was the 2nd best crowd against the GC we have had in SA.

Best crowd was final game Rd 23 2017 when we were pushing for potentially 4th spot. We played Saturday night and Richmond on Sunday. We win they loose we jump to 4th on %.

R23
H​
Gold Coast
2.3 9.6 14.12 20.15​
135​
2.1 2.1 2.1 3.2​
20​
W​
115​
8-0-1​
Adelaide Oval​
34288​
Sat 26-Aug-2017 7:10 PM​

Those few hundred cheapies probably helped us get our 2nd best crowd over this one which was in the other shitty Sunday time slot 12.40pm.

R9
H​
Gold Coast
3.1 6.3 9.9 13.11​
89​
4.4 6.7 7.8 7.9​
51​
W​
38​
10-0-1​
Adelaide Oval​
26129​
Sun 19-May-2019 12:40 PM​

These 2 games and yesterday's were the only games at AO. We played 2 games at Footy Park 21k in 2012, and 18k in 2013, 2 games in Shnghai, and 7 at Carrara.

There 's a headline on the Tiser website which I dont pay for stating that AO is slashing membership prices for AO memberships. Haven't been to a game all year but the Western Stand (where I normally sit) does look pretty barren on TV. I think a lot of of Boomers are staying away due to COVID still (this particularly hurts the Crows) and I think only Boomers are stupid enough to buy those AO tickets as they are shockingly bad value for money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There 's a headline on the Tiser website which I dont pay for stating that AO is slashing membership prices for AO memberships. Haven't been to a game all year but the Western Stand (where I normally sit) does look pretty barren on TV. I think a lot of of Boomers are staying away due to COVID still (this particularly hurts the Crows) and I think only Boomers are stupid enough to buy those AO tickets as they are shockingly bad value for money.
I have heard that they have sold a bit over 6,000 of the 8,000 memberships this year and turnout rate is very low for games for both clubs. Will have a look at the article a bit later and see if it provides more figures.

Adelaide Oval memberships slashed in push to bring fans back to the footy​

In a bid to reverse spiralling crowd numbers, Adelaide Oval has slashed its football memberships by more than half in the hope it will encourage fans to come back to the footy.

Adelaide Oval has more than halved the price of football memberships to help lift the ground’s dwindling crowd figures over the remainder of the AFL season.

With the venue’s average attendances having dropped by about 9600 since pre-Covid, as part of a competition-wide downturn, Adelaide Oval is selling memberships for $300 – 60 per cent off – ahead of the last eight minor rounds.
All 8000 of the passes, providing access to the western stand to Crows and Power games, were taken pre-pandemic but subscription had dipped to 80 per cent.

This season is the first since 2019 to have had no coronavirus restrictions on stadium capacity.
After 14 games at the ground, the average crowd is 29,586, a dip from 39,232 from 22 matches three years ago.

Adelaide’s attendances are down more than 13,000 from 44,514 for the whole of 2019 to 31,491 so far this season, while the Power’s have fallen about 6200 – 33,949 to 27,680.

Adelaide Oval memberships slashed in push to bring fans back to the footy​

In a bid to reverse spiralling crowd numbers, Adelaide Oval has slashed its football memberships by more than half in the hope it will encourage fans to come back to the footy.

Adelaide Oval has more than halved the price of football memberships to help lift the ground’s dwindling crowd figures over the remainder of the AFL season.

With the venue’s average attendances having dropped by about 9600 since pre-Covid, as part of a competition-wide downturn, Adelaide Oval is selling memberships for $300 – 60 per cent off – ahead of the last eight minor rounds.
All 8000 of the passes, providing access to the western stand to Crows and Power games, were taken pre-pandemic but subscription had dipped to 80 per cent.

This season is the first since 2019 to have had no coronavirus restrictions on stadium capacity.
After 14 games at the ground, the average crowd is 29,586, a dip from 39,232 from 22 matches three years ago.

Adelaide’s attendances are down more than 13,000 from 44,514 for the whole of 2019 to 31,491 so far this season, while the Power’s have fallen about 6200 – 33,949 to 27,680.

Ah so its only for the remaining games. Nobody is buying those.

I have heard that they have sold a bit over 6,000 of the 8,000 memberships this year and turnout rate is very low for games for both clubs. Will have a look at the article a bit later and see if it provides more figures.
Speaking to my mate who runs the food and beverage they had 3000 in the entire western stand for the past 2 crows games. That membership just isn’t working.

Speaking to my mate who runs the food and beverage they had 3000 in the entire western stand for the past 2 crows games. That membership just isn’t working.
The Boomers are staying away. My Crows mate told me this 2 months ago. It is effecting them way more that it is effecting us.

Cut and paste of the numbers in the article.

With the venue’s average attendances having dropped by about 9600 since pre-Covid, as part of a competition-wide downturn, Adelaide Oval is selling memberships for $300 – 60 per cent off – ahead of the last eight minor rounds. [isn't full membership $700?? 60% off for 36% of games. Ok From AO website Adult $710.00 Concession $560.00 Junior $345.00 so $410 discount for full membership is 58% discount to watch 36% of full season]

All 8000 of the passes, providing access to the western stand to Crows and Power games, were taken pre-pandemic but subscription had dipped to 80 per cent. [ie about 6,400]

A Stadium Management Authority spokesman said football membership figures had held up well through the coronavirus uncertainty. It was hoped the latest deal, which included a $50 food and drink voucher, could help numbers climb.

The venue’s largest crowd so far in 2022 is 39,190 at the round 3 Showdown, a Crows home game. In 2019, 12 of the ground’s 22 matches had at least 40,000 fans. The form of Adelaide and the Power, sitting 13th and 12th on the ladder respectively this year, would be influencing the smaller crowds.

Across the league, the average attendance in 2022 is about 31,000, down from more than 35,000 after 15 rounds in 2019. Last weekend boasted the third-highest total attendance this year, as 299,545 people went to games. In an AFL move to incentivise going to matches, children up to the age of 14 can go for free at any stadium until round 17.

There are 14,000 seats in the western stand, approx 26% of capacity. Their last 2 crowds have been 22,859 v WCE so that's not surprising then for that game, but game before that was 28,783 v St Kilda which 3,000 in there is low.

From my seat in 335 looking across to the western stand, I would say the last few Port games we probably have had about 4k-6k in that stand. I reckon our Essential Power/Western Stand members are still rocking up in ok numbers.

Low crowds aren't really hurting the crows greatly financially as they nearly max out their 11 game memberships they can sell at AO, compared to how much its affecting the SMA/SANFL.

The crows can sell a bit more than the 3,000 minimum tickets the AFL says all major stadiums have to leave for the general public to buy, so they are missing out a bit there as well as the $2.40 per attendee rebate the SMA gives both clubs.

The SMA ie SANFL is down $1mil if only 6,400 footy memberships have been sold as the SANFL keeps 100% of this revenue. And given the average spend per game is about $15 per attendee, the SMA are probably missing out on about $150k when the crowd is down by 10k per game and the SANFL is then missing out on $35-$40k commission on these reduced sales.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Falling Crowd Numbers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back