Competitions AFL Fantasy Elite Signup/Expressions of Interest - AKA Real Fantasy Football

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 21, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
So, thankfully whoever runs this AFL Fantasy stuff has decided to introduce a proper AFL fantasy football game, instead of the borefest also known as DreamTeam (in case you can't tell, I really hate DreamTeam).

But what is 'proper' fantasy football you ask? If you've ever played any sort of the American fantasy sports games, you know exactly what it is, but for those who haven't, here's a run down:

Just like DreamTeam, you set up a league. However, instead of everyone being able to pick every possible player (with the salary cap restrictions obviously), the league holds a draft. If the person with the first pick decides to get Gary Ablett, that's it, no one else gets Gary Ablett. So at the end of the draft, every team owner will have a unique team.

Throughout the year you trade with other teams (finally the Big Footy strategy of bundling a bunch of crap players for a gun can be put to the test), or picking up players from the waiver wire (basically, any player not picked up in the original draft is put on the waiver wire).

After playing NFL Fantasy Football for about 5-6 years now, I really think this is the best way to play fantasy football. There's more strategy, more satisfaction when a player does well because you know you're the only one who has him, and laughing at people who draft poorly is good. The only disadvantage from the regular DreamTeam set up is you aren't competing with every single person playing the game.

So, who's in?

Definitely in.

Much better format, struck gold this year in the NFL fantasy game with RG3 and Adrian Peterson!

Okay so far:

legend166
S120
bonzaburgers
Razorblad3
Danair
Grimlock

6/12.

People are obviously welcome to start up other leagues if there's enough interest. Once this league gets full we can start discussing how we want it to be set up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe I haven't spent as long as you guys on a computer but Im struggling to comprehend the term 'Real Fantasy' football, but Ill agree the format sounds interesting being different to SC and DT.

legend166
S120
bonzaburgers
Razorblad3
Danair
Grimlock
swansfan51
Shotties
SkankDanker
GotTheGoodes
alanlau34

One spot left in the initial league.

Alan, even if the draft is live you can still set it to autodraft for your team, so from your perspective it won't matter

Okay so far:

legend166
S120
bonzaburgers
Razorblad3
Danair
Grimlock

6/12.

People are obviously welcome to start up other leagues if there's enough interest. Once this league gets full we can start discussing how we want it to be set up.

I'm keen.

Sorry SM, one post too late, we've got 12 now. Obviously you're more than welcome to start a second league, I'm sure there will be more people interested.

legend166
S120
bonzaburgers
Razorblad3
Danair
Grimlock
swansfan51
Shotties
SkankDanker
GotTheGoodes
alanlau34
winga26

Okay folks, time to start discussing how the league is structured. The main things are:

1. Draft - I'm up for a live draft if we get enough interest. You don't have to participate if you're unavailable, the computer will just picked based on your pre-draft rankings, so there's no real downside. I think the best order is the snake order.

2. Team structure - not sure what to do here. The options are 12, 15 or 22 player squads. With 12 teams, 22 players means we'll probably go pretty deep in terms of picking up guys, which could be fun.

If you want to have a look at all the options go here: http://fantasyelite.afl.com.au/league_creator

Let me know what you think.

Sorry SM, one post too late, we've got 12 now. Obviously you're more than welcome to start a second league, I'm sure there will be more people interested.

legend166
S120
bonzaburgers
Razorblad3
Danair
Grimlock
swansfan51
Shotties
SkankDanker
GotTheGoodes
alanlau34
winga26

Okay folks, time to start discussing how the league is structured. The main things are:

1. Draft - I'm up for a live draft if we get enough interest. You don't have to participate if you're unavailable, the computer will just picked based on your pre-draft rankings, so there's no real downside. I think the best order is the snake order.

2. Team structure - not sure what to do here. The options are 12, 15 or 22 player squads. With 12 teams, 22 players means we'll probably go pretty deep in terms of picking up guys, which could be fun.

If you want to have a look at all the options go here: http://fantasyelite.afl.com.au/league_creator

Yeah I noticed, boo. If more people are interested feel free to post here but otherwise I probably won't do it.

legend166
S120
bonzaburgers
Razorblad3
Danair
Grimlock
swansfan51
Shotties
SkankDanker
GotTheGoodes
alanlau34
winga26

Yeah I say go with the live snake draft, sounds like the type they have for NFL fantasy.

Live drafts are the best but it is almost close to impossible to arrange a time that suits everyone. Having pre-rankings will do but I think it puts you at a disadvantage when it comes to the structure and balance of your squad although how important those factors are in this new AFL fantasy game remains to be seen.

Yeah, having never completed a fantasy "draft" style game it seems like it would be very difficult in getting everyone online at the same time for a live draft and as Grim said, utilisiing pre-selection only would put you at a disadvantage re: structure/balance/flexibility etc. I think this would be more-so in an AFL based game given the flexibilty of some players (i.e. the "fwd" who is actually a "mid" etc). However, in saying that I'd vote for a live draft with the snake order. Sounds like it'll be a bit more exciting than standard DT/SC with a bit more brain power required this year that'sfor sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Competitions AFL Fantasy Elite Signup/Expressions of Interest - AKA Real Fantasy Football

Remove this Banner Ad

Back