Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom McCartin is handy, but not great.

Tom McCartin is handy, but not great.
Goes through patches of form, and as with any defenders they tend to look better when the mids aren't letting the ball come in without any pressure, or turning it over needlessly.

Some good spoiling on the weekend, like with Melican, but (unlike Melican), Tom has had a patch where his positioning and composure hasn't been great.

Still he's 24, so not the finished product either.

This one might be a doozy, because it's unpopular even with myself, but I believe it, and this is the thread for it.

Opposition fans who picked on the club were right last week: the "poor Heeney" rhetoric was overkill.

There are players who go into every game, every year, knowing they've got buckleys of winning a Brownlow. But they still have to front up and be great players every single week. Nick Smith did it his whole career without receiving so much as a single vote. They're the ones I feel sorry for.

Many great players as good as Heeney have their own form of Brownlow ineligibility, and it's called their positions. Every defender, ruckman and forward in the AFL would surely know that no matter how exceptional they are at what they do - the best and fairest player in the competition, even - they can forget about winning a Brownlow.

Heeney is now in that boat for this year, and we're supposed to feel terribly for him?

I'm disappointed from the perspective of a fan who would like to have seen a Swan win something, particularly as an Eff You to the Victorian media who seemed desperate to prevent it from happening.

But Heeney can join the queue of great players who the Brownlow isn't an option for this year. It's a long one.

This one might be a doozy, because it's unpopular even with myself, but I believe it, and this is the thread for it.

Opposition fans who picked on the club were right last week: the "poor Heeney" rhetoric was overkill.

There are players who go into every game, every year, knowing they've got buckleys of winning a Brownlow. But they still have to front up and be great players every single week. Nick Smith did it his whole career without receiving so much as a single vote. They're the ones I feel sorry for.

Many great players as good as Heeney have their own form of Brownlow ineligibility, and it's called their positions. Every defender, ruckman and forward in the AFL would surely know that no matter how exceptional they are at what they do - the best and fairest player in the competition, even - they can forget about winning a Brownlow.

Heeney is now in that boat for this year, and we're supposed to feel terribly for him?

I'm disappointed from the perspective of a fan who would like to have seen a Swan win something, particularly as an Eff You to the Victorian media who seemed desperate to prevent it from happening.

But Heeney can join the queue of great players who the Brownlow isn't an option for this year. It's a long one.

For me it was more just feeling bad he copped a ban for crap. The brownlow yeah who cares in all honesty, unlikely he polls enough anyway .

It hurts but you're right.
Still feel for him though, as I feel for them.

For me it was more just feeling bad he copped a ban for crap. The brownlow yeah who cares in all honesty, unlikely he polls enough anyway .

yeah, this ... i wasn't even sure it was worth appealing, just cop it on the chin (sorry for the pun) as a club ... and carry on dominating the competition and winning the premiership ... fck the national vfl

That Mike Cannon-Brookes or some other rich person should step in and create a super league, minus the Vic clubs who would revert to the VFL.

I like fast players.

Who would you have ahead of him?

Richards and Bolton I think you could argue but no way Grundy was better than Leo. McCartin is good but not in the same level (yet). Who am I missing?

Smith is a lock for top 5 but not an apples for apples comparison. Lloyd would make top 5 if we are including all positions and that pretty much rounds out my 5

Bolton
Richards
Leo
Smith
Lloyd
Andrew Dunkley.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

I hate equalization. The fact a mediocre football team is going to win the premiership this year makes me feel sick. Would far prefer to be further back in the pack with a special team to aspire towards than watch a team that would finish 6th-8th 5 years ago take the prize.

Essendon probably make the 8 let alone win a flag , don't worry about it

I hate equalization. The fact a mediocre football team is going to win the premiership this year makes me feel sick. Would far prefer to be further back in the pack with a special team to aspire towards than watch a team that would finish 6th-8th 5 years ago take the prize.
Hopefully we win and your mediocre fear will be gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your key forwards are Joel Amarety, Hayden McLean and McDonald, your key defenders are McCartin and Melican. There hasn't been a premiership team without an elite key position player since Bulldogs and we are staring down the face of one. On the back of 3 elite mids and a couple of quality flankers.

Be happy at winning one but don't be delusional.
I couldn't decide when I read your original post if you were having a go at us or another team.
Seems you were having a shot both ways....

Your key forwards are Joel Amarety, Hayden McLean and McDonald, your key defenders are McCartin and Melican. There hasn't been a premiership team without an elite key position player since Bulldogs and we are staring down the face of one. On the back of 3 elite mids and a couple of quality flankers.

Be happy at winning one but don't be delusional.
Glad you think we are winning it, but we have to get to the GF first. Fortunately, all the other teams are crap so it is a good time for us.

At least you may not have to suffer the indignity of losing another final this year.

Be happy at winning one but don't be delusional, this is far from a demonstration of quality list building and it wouldn't even exist without academies giving you a massive leg up. Carlton would be more deserving.
Stop it, You made me spit beer out of my nose…..I did need a good laugh though.

So you care so little that you have to initiate posts complaining about it on our forum?

**** thought this was the main board. just searched the main board. Was wondering why you were all getting so animated.

Like in the NRL, the home teams at AFL games should be the only ones allowed to play their team songs at the start or if they win.

That, and the removal of all away club paraphernalia from the ground if they're usually a home tenant at that stadium. Drives me mad when I see the 'away' team have their huge banners up in the race. But that's just me having a sook :p

Like in the NRL, the home teams at AFL games should be the only ones allowed to play their team songs at the start or if they win.

That, and the removal of all away club paraphernalia from the ground if they're usually a home tenant at that stadium. Drives me mad when I see the 'away' team have their huge banners up in the race. But that's just me having a sook :p
Who left the door open?

Opinion What unpopular AFL opinions do you have ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back