Analysis AFL Forcing 6th Placed Saints to Play Their Home Final at Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

At the end of the day they get paid multiple hundreds of thousands of dollars a year to kick around a ball with a bit of air in it. They can deal with a couple of hours flying to a neutral venue.

Is it fair? Not really. But there are greater injustices in the world and better to shut up than carrying on like a West Coast flog about how the league is a conspiracy against the side they support.

Last edited:
This is disgraceful.

The AFL made their position clear. Victorian teams can elect to play their home final at either Metricon, Adelaide Oval or The GABBA. The Eagles won the right to host a home final, they get to choose. Yet the Saints have been forced to play theirs at Adelaide Oval.

Brett Ratten confirmed on AFL360 tonight - The Saints nominated the GABBA. Staying in the one state, most likely the one ground would give them the opportunity to build consistency and familiarity on a surface the Grand Final will be hosted on.

This inconsistency will be met with supporters of other clubs venting their prior frustrations about their own club, but how would you ever expect the AFL to genuinely change, focus on integrity when the narrative is always deflected and the current issue isn't brushed aside by opposition supporters cause its not their club?

I genuinely feel for St Kilda and their supporters. The AFL released a statement confirming Victorian teams could choose and they've backflipped.

Game is fine... we have all the cash we need

Their is a big thread on it in the Rumors board

Geez strong 2004 prelim vibes kicking in for me. I can’t believe that they wouldn’t consider using Metricon if they’re trying to spread games out, as I’m sure it won’t already be in use for any other sport yet. What a joke.

Play the EF and QF at the GABBA....It'll essentially be like the 2018 finals series, just exchange 'MCG' for 'GABBA'
Similar situation to clubs like Geelong who have to play their home finals at the bigger ground in the state when asked (which is bullshit by the way).

I don't really care tbh although the faster track is a bonus. We should be able to handle the dogs anywhere, anytime and if we don't for whatever reason, no doubt it will be the leadership group doing SFA as they have in many games this year led by captain spud.

I see the venue as a non issue.

I don’t understand the actual logic here?

It is completely unnecessary to send two teams and 20+ support staff interstate when there are numerous suitable grounds a short drive away. Port are already playing a game at at AO so it’s not like Adelaide aren’t getting a game. Surely whatever $$ the AFL would receive is negligible given it would be an enormous cost to fly everyone over.

I don’t understand the actual logic here?

It is completely unnecessary to send two teams and 20+ support staff interstate when there are numerous suitable grounds a short drive away. Port are already playing a game at at AO so it’s not like Adelaide aren’t getting a game. Surely whatever $$ the AFL would receive is negligible given it would be an enormous cost to fly everyone over.

Well the Collingwood game could of been in front of 25k last night at Adelaide Oval.

It’s a ‘fix’ture each year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL are intent on giving Brisbane a premiership this year.

Richmond will beat Brisbane comfortably, so Brisbane will be playing the winner of WB vs Saints.

This extra travel will give Brisbane more chance of going through to the prelim.

And neither team gets the experience of a night final in Queensland with the slippery ball. Operation save Brisbane from straight sets again.

Well if maximising attendance is the only criteria being used (which it must be as none of the other criteria would place the game in Adelaide) surely St Kilda vs Bulldogs should be played in Perth.

Lets look at the other criteria.

- Ranking - 6 v 7 both Victorian sides currently based in Queensland - Play the game in Queensland
- Preference - Obviously St Kilda would rather forgo additional travel and play at the Gabba or Metricon - Play the ******* Game in Queensland
- State Gov Requirements - both clubs already in Queensland hub - Play the bloody ******* game in Queensland
- Availability - Gabba only has one match same as Adelaide Oval and Metricon is free. - Play the bloody ******* game in Queensland you ******* numpties.

Nice, succinct summary.

Yea I'd take it if I were a Sainter they've played well here this year.
We didn’t play well vs Adelaide there at all. Umpires ****ed us and we only just fell over the line. Then the following week umpires gave us a good run against you guys...

Besides, it’s not the point. It’s just AFL bashing on the small clubs. Eddie wouldn’t let this stand, I garuntee it

you reckon we should just say nothing? let them dictate the terms....... I don't really care about the venue tbh, but it gives the Lions/Tigers a leg up the following week, considering their game will be over, and they're all in bed before Saints/Dogs get home, hope we screw some money out of the AFL, they sure as hell wouldn't do this to some other teams.

Look I think its a bit shitty we have been moved. But in regards to brisband and richmond they deserved the leg up by finishing where they did if we didnt choke in so many games this year we probably would of finished top 4 and reaped the benefits of a leg up

This is bizarre, but it doesn't help or hinder the Bulldogs or Saints any more than the other one.

It might impact the winner going in to the SF, so that's a fair frustration, but for this game it doesn't give one the edge over the other in this contest because they'll both be playing at a nuetral ground under the same travel load and quarantine.

In saying that, it's incredibly bizarre. Just keep the teams in the state where most of the finals will be played and avoid unnecessary travel.

Last edited:
Disgraceful. What makes it even more disgraceful is that apparently if Collingwood had won last night, they weren't going to make Collingwood go to Adelaide Oval. But they're happy to make two 'little' clubs like the Saints and Bulldogs go.

The AFL has always favoured the big teams, but it feels like over the last 5 years ago they've given up on even bothering to try to hide it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis AFL Forcing 6th Placed Saints to Play Their Home Final at Adelaide Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Back