Game Day AFL Grand Final - Matchday Discussion Collingwood v West Coast (MCG – 2:30PM)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had our opportunities but our forwards couldn't win the clear ball at ground level to convert or stick the tackle inside f50 enough to build the pressure.

Some of delivery fed into the hands of the West Coast defence.

Need a massive lift from Cox, Sidebottom, Grundy and Thomas.

West Coast are as dirty as they come.

Anything to try and give us an injury.

I can see us being 2 or 3 players down by the end.

Please don't be the case.

Yup going the man and also lots of knees/shins to heads after tackling a player and getting up.

Lots of gut pinches and elbows. The extra physicality is working for them we went into our shell a bit that quarter and they started walking taller.
We need a few enforcer types to start giving it back when the opportunity arises.

Umpires must of put their house on the Eagles one of the mos5 one sided umpiring display I've seen all year
Gave them 2 goals in the first and helped keep them in it.

Cox back to being useless as **** on a bull. Is giving up on the contest at times too, he is expecting to be spoiled and dropping effort due to it (noticed a few moments in 2nd half).

Pendles bit fumbly and also needs to start cracking in the contested balls alot harder, couple of soft efforts that quarter.
He was good first quarter but WC have lifted physicality and we aren't matching it currently.

Kicking to McGovern when going fwd makes my eyes bleed repeat of the qualifier. Lads can do it just need to lift intensity physicality and hit up the mediums and smalls inside 50. Make Cox dummy lead as he is about as usefully as clear liquid paper atm.

Greenwood doing a great job on Yeo.

Grundy, Cox, Phillips, Maynard, Treloar... LIFT!

Put some physical work into McGovern Bucks FFS! Grand final coaching 101 or are you above that kind of thing?

I'd kill for some Valium right now

Cox needs to get angry, stop looking to the umps for frees, stop trying to get around the players in front of you, run straight at the mark and if you take some bodies with you so be it.
Will help if we get back to giving him a run at it.
We can't expect a lot of marks against this back line - get it to ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cox needs to get angry, stop looking to the umps for frees, stop trying to get around the players in front of you, run straight at the mark and if you take some bodies with you so be it.

Getting Frustrated and Think why am I not doing what I did last week.

though Weagles getting away with a lot on Cox

Liam Ryan no eyes on the ball, cannons into Maynard...play on.

“Umpiring isn’t that bad”
Yeah I didnt think that was legal... because Maynard doesnt have the ball, it was going to him, Ryan with no intention to contest the ball, shoulders Maynard WITHOUT the ball.... I dont think thats legal surely... thats blatant

We had our opportunities but our forwards couldn't win the clear ball at ground level to convert or stick the tackle inside f50 enough to build the pressure.

Some of delivery fed into the hands of the West Coast defence.

Need a massive lift from Cox, Sidebottom, Grundy and Thomas.

Agree. Delivery been poor and the Defender been Stronger and Cleaner then our Forwards

We are in alright shape just need to stop kicking it lace out to McGovern.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Despite the numbers looking relatively even the eye test points to our midfield getting smashed right now - as a group they collectively need to lift as they're getting far too much clean ball moving forward out of the stoppages and it's our back line doing an incredible job that has kept us in the game.

We're right in this up to our necks but we need to work far harder in the second half than we did in that second quarter and keep running to have a second and third option when the ball breaks loose of the contest.

As an aside if Cox just had the presence of mind to have a second grab at the ball he'd have taken 2 or 3 marks inside 25-30m from goal. I can recall at least two occasions on which the ball ballooned up after hitting his hands and dropped down directly in front of him which he would have snatched under no pressure after the initial body pressure from the West Coast defenders fell away.

He also needs to learn to punch when someone has dropped in front of him as be could have easily broken up a couple of intercept marks with team mates lurking in the area. Maybe that's a couple of things to work with him on over the off-season, but for now he needs to keep bringing it to ground if he's unable to mark it and have smalls pushing to the front and centre (the latter is what hasn't been happening enough so far).

If we keep working we can win this one - come on boys!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back