AFL "integrity rule" re Freo and North resting players

Remove this Banner Ad

Uhh...because a loss absolutely guarantees you no chance of having to travel to Adelaide.

It's not the main reason why you're doing it and it's only one of the reasons why it's so wrong, but it's the only one required to prove that you're contradicting the rule.

Is this so hard to understand or are North fans just being deliberately obnoxious and one-eyed?
So you are guaranteeing they lose then?

Giving some players a chance to prove themselves before finals as well as giving players with niggles a week off is against the rule??

What a shame I did not jump on the $1.70 for the Tigers at the start of the week!!
Sure you can do that with SOME players. 8-10 is not some. That is nearly half your team. If you were fighting for top 4 would you still be resting those players with niggles? Yeh no.

It would be extremely unlikely that a North win would result in an Adelaide v North first final at Adelaide, so I don't believe you could call it tanking. Having said that, it does have an effect on ladder positions, so it doesn't sit comfortably with me. Would love to see it completely backfire and North finish of the year with a belting and three losses in a row.

And of course the AFL are allowing it, because it pretty much guarantees another final in Melbourne. If Adelaide were to have a home final, there would only be one in Melbourne for the first week of finals....you can't have that! :rolleyes:

It's a brave call on Brad Scott's part, in a way. If they do this and then get rolled the following week, it'll be blamed on this and he'll cop a lot of stick. Would it be too hysterical to suggest such a scenario would put his position at risk? I'm guessing with Carlton, Essendon and Adelaide all looking for/appointing new coaches he might be safe but it will certainly start a fire burning.

I have no problem with what North is doing, at the end of the day I think they are more doing it to rest their players before finals rather than improve their finals position. Only way for them to play crows with a win would be dogs losing to lions. They have as much chase as playing the swans in sydney with a loss.

That is the nicest thing you have said about richmond in say 5 years mate.

:thumbsu:
Well, it is true. Worst % of the top 8 teams by some margin, worst finals team for points conceded, multiple 10 goal thrashings throughout the year.

The worst thing for me in Week 1 of finals is one of North and Richmond have to win. God I hope Dogs snatch 5th so you can both lose.

Giving some players a chance to prove themselves before finals as well as giving players with niggles a week off is against the rule??

What a shame I did not jump on the $1.70 for the Tigers at the start of the week!!

Are you just...blind to the point here? Part of the reason you're doing this is to throw the game and guarantee a rematch

So you are guaranteeing they lose then?

This is a really silly comment not even referring to the main issues, but I'll put it to bed.

1. If it's not guaranteed, it's hugely likely. No team has ever rested more than 6 players and won, and betting agencies now have Richmond at $1.06. Does that tell you something.

2. Whether it's guaranteed is irrelevant. Melbourne tanking didn't guarantee they would finish bottom of the ladder, but it was their intention that mattered, and that was against the rules, as this is.

I can't believe the Norf fans in here throwing shit around and getting all defensive.

Get some sense about you, and answer this question. Do you think what your club is doing is legal or against this rule?

" To Perform on one’s Merits: means at all times to perform honestly and to the best of one’s ability in the pursuit only of legitimate competitive objectives. For the avoidance of doubt “legitimate competitive objective” includes the development of the team or players or management of player fatigue or injuries but does not include improving a club’s draft position, improving a club’s position with respect to a potential player exchange or manipulating a club’s position on the ladder for the purpose of improving its draw within the Finals Series. "

You can only argue that it is fair on the competition, Richmond and Adelaide if you think your actions don't contradict this rule by guaranteeing you a loss and setting you up for a favourable draw in the finals. Fremantle is nothing close to a direct comparison as their position on the ladder cannot change.

Maybe it is and maybe it isn't. Depends on what we actually do. If we rest up to 10 players, I'd say it is (against that rule, that is).

However we've applied to AFL HQ for permission to do it and got that permission. So the discussion about whether it is or isn't against the rule is moot.

By the way I don't think we've guaranteed a loss at all...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this speaks volumes about the esteem in which we hold the Richmond "Football" Club and rightly so.
Haha, that's really funny, irrespective of the result this week, or next for that matter, do you really believe that anyone at Richmond, or supports Richmond, cares about North Melbourne, or what they think.
One team has 70,000+ members, Australia wide support, plays home games at the G and regularly attracts massive crowds (AFL leading I believe), has a young and developing list and who's best players are not on the wrong side of 30 and will be a force for many years, the other team is North.

Uhh...because a loss absolutely guarantees you no chance of having to travel to Adelaide.

It's not the main reason why you're doing it and it's only one of the reasons why it's so wrong, but it's the only one required to prove that you're contradicting the rule.

Is this so hard to understand or are North fans just being deliberately obnoxious and one-eyed?

Unless someone in the North management stated it there's no way the AFL can prove the North was trying to manipulate their ladder position. At this time of year there are always fatigued and injured players.

Are you just...blind to the point here? Part of the reason you're doing this is to throw the game and guarantee a rematch

This is a really silly comment not even referring to the main issues, but I'll put it to bed.

1. If it's not guaranteed, it's hugely likely. No team has ever rested more than 6 players and won, and betting agencies now have Richmond at $1.06. Does that tell you something.

2. Whether it's guaranteed is irrelevant. Melbourne tanking didn't guarantee they would finish bottom of the ladder, but it was their intention that mattered, and that was against the rules, as this is.
what would the betting be if North didn't rest a player?
As far as i know the teams are not even picked yet.
And what should betting agencies have to do with it anyway?
Any team has the right, no, they have an obligation to look after their players, if they think they are fatigued/sore, then they have a right to rest them, no other team gets to pick opposition squads, if you have a problem with that, write to the AFL and tell them to reduce squads.

Any team has the right, no, they have an obligation to look after their players, if they think they are fatigued/sore, then they have a right to rest them, no other team gets to pick opposition squads, if you have a problem with that, write to the AFL and tell them to reduce squads.

Okay, so given that right, do you think it's okay to tank for bottom spot and the number 1 pick?

They also have the right to try their best to win every game they play. Every player is fatigued and sore by this time of the year. So don't use that "obligation" to look after the players bs. Rest the few that are really sore. Have the rest play.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL "integrity rule" re Freo and North resting players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back