AFL "integrity rule" re Freo and North resting players

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions beating dogs is irrelevant for North if they lose. They still finish 8th, Richmond still finish 5th.

So taking in your logic, are you saying we're losing to avoid playing the Bulldogs instead avoiding Richmond?

See the thing is, your point makes sense if you apply it consistently.
For example: do you believe that Freo is 1.5 games better than all other teams? Include 2+ games better than Hawthorn, Sydney, Richmond etc?

No. Teams have ups and downs in the season. Freo wanted to get on the front foot with a tough opening half to the year, and put 120% in to achieve that. Hawthorn had some injuries, some issues with form, remnants of two long seasons in a row, and a self-belief that they can get to the GF from anywhere on the ladder: as such they didn't perform at 100% for most of first half of year.

If you are happy to criticise Hawthorn for its first half of the year, and for the players not focussing 100% (incl some pretty poor decisions that have led to suspensions eg Hodge Lewis) then your point has more validity.
If you can criticise Sydney for going off the boil midyear, as it has in a number of years (before shaping up for excellent runs in September), again be my guest.

But if you are only criticising a team that with a tough draw has earned a clear top spot, and who will need to travel in the last round of the season off a 6 day break, and who is playing a game of no consequence to the finals makeup, then get over it!

samffc you have missed my whole point , once again you people take everything so personally and bring up teams who do this and do that.
Firstly I have criticised Hawthorn for some very crappy out of character performances an d suspensions, and I have wondered about Sydney in terms of them falling backwards at times, now I'm not sure , Richmond great but maybe they are a North Melbourne, up and downer. Geelong I've praised , gee they are gone!

Now to the point of playing to your full potential. We play a 23 round sport. The whole concept of sport is to play to your absolute potential and field your strength at full capacity, that's what sport is... you play to your best.
If a player is fit he plays, if he has a serious injury he doesn't play, if he is tired and sore like every other AFL player running around but he is fit then HE PLAYS.

Its called competition. I believe in that totally I don't give a crap what club does the tanking or cheating to rest players , its fraudulent, and its a cop out of a fixured game, that people go to see , and PAY for.

I don't care if its North tanking or Fremantle tanking , it is NOT playing your team to its full capacity and its not playing your team with the risk that other clubs have to take, that may play your team in a finals thats unfair , even level playground folks , that's what the AFL promised.

The risk to senior first selection players in round 23 will be greater than the risk Freo or North takes, dropping ten players for a day off, North???. BULLDUST! , its taking advantage of a position like Freo are in, when sides under Freo have beaten them, so your point as to whether who is on top deserves it , is not even a point, the GF winner makes that point.

State of origin became flawed because coaches didn't want their best to play, and what happened even though the game may have been brilliant, was that the best against the best?? Never happened, in the end, the S of O was flawed small but flawed. Splitting hairs , no wanting an even playing field.

The minor premiership means nothing. The Cup/flag is EVERYTHING!

Now I have gone on a bit , but sheesh, its hard to explain to people who take it all as some massive criticism to their team.

I just don't believe in it.

If you play any sport, each match is a challenge , you don't piddle around being a trickster, you either win or you don't, when you are playing the best players,

If you have genuine dangerous soreness then maybe one or two get a break, Ten is a joke and cheating, why would North do it? Do you think , maybe they are too frightened to go to Adelaide , so they drop a game for it.
Freo/Lyon, drop a game so they can swap their rested side around , and take massive advantage of its opponent in the following week.

AND BE PLAYING AT HOME?

Wow how worried are you guys? That was just a crack you'll do fine, but round 23 is a full on round of football to me!

Anyway that's what I believe , continuity and any false drop out, is cheating.

I am interested to see the team named, i wouldn't be surprised if it performs better than the current team if he rests the dead wood players as well. We are atm carrying more passengers than a Greyhound bus.

So where is the outrage about Freo manipulating the draft if North are manipulating finals spots?

Port are 9th and a loss against the top team could see them finish as low as 12th. GWS play Melbourne, Collingwood v Essendon and Geelong v Adelaide.

If Geelong hadn't butchered the last 2 games, the H&A would not be a deadish rubber.

samffc you have missed my whole point , once again you people take everything so personally and bring up teams who do this and do that.
Firstly I have criticised Hawthorn for some very crappy out of character performances an d suspensions, and I have wondered about Sydney in terms of them falling backwards at times, now I'm not sure , Richmond great but maybe they are a North Melbourne, up and downer. Geelong I've praised , gee they are gone!

Now to the point of playing to your full potential. We play a 23 round sport. The whole concept of sport is to play to your absolute potential and field your strength at full capacity, that's what sport is... you play to your best.
If a player is fit he plays, if he has a serious injury he doesn't play, if he is tired and sore like every other AFL player running around but he is fit then HE PLAYS.

Its called competition. I believe in that totally I don't give a crap what club does the tanking or cheating to rest players , its fraudulent, and its a cop out of a fixured game, that people go to see , and PAY for.

I don't care if its North tanking or Fremantle tanking , it is NOT playing your team to its full capacity and its not playing your team with the risk that other clubs have to take, that may play your team in a finals thats unfair , even level playground folks , that's what the AFL promised.

The risk to senior first selection players in round 23 will be greater than the risk Freo or North takes, dropping ten players for a day off, North???. BULLDUST! , its taking advantage of a position like Freo are in, when sides under Freo have beaten them, so your point as to whether who is on top deserves it , is not even a point, the GF winner makes that point.

State of origin became flawed because coaches didn't want their best to play, and what happened even though the game may have been brilliant, was that the best against the best?? Never happened, in the end, the S of O was flawed small but flawed. Splitting hairs , no wanting an even playing field.

The minor premiership means nothing. The Cup/flag is EVERYTHING!

Now I have gone on a bit , but sheesh, its hard to explain to people who take it all as some massive criticism to their team.

I just don't believe in it.

If you play any sport, each match is a challenge , you don't piddle around being a trickster, you either win or you don't, when you are playing the best players,

If you have genuine dangerous soreness then maybe one or two get a break, Ten is a joke and cheating, why would North do it? Do you think , maybe they are too frightened to go to Adelaide , so they drop a game for it.
Freo/Lyon, drop a game so they can swap their rested side around , and take massive advantage of its opponent in the following week.

AND BE PLAYING AT HOME?

Wow how worried are you guys? That was just a crack you'll do fine, but round 23 is a full on round of football to me!

Anyway that's what I believe , continuity and any false drop out, is cheating.

Exactly, just because the OFFfAL have ok it doesn't mean it's right, they have no integrity

Richmond haven't beaten those "old men" since 2011. Maybe us playing our reserves will make the game competitive for once? :)
considering that since 2011 its been at shithad or tasmania in all but 1 game? and that one game was a team of boys wow, ****ing CLAP CLAP :thumbsu:

Try facing 90k Richmond fans in the cauldron that is the MCG, oh wait i forgot, you campaigners would all die of ****ing heart attacks from seeing more than 10K supporters. Richmond that the 'G is an entirely different ball game ;););););););););)

North have the right to rest players I guess but I believe that it is a poor attitude for them to have. I feel like it's indicative of a losers mentality. They are essentially afraid of the 7/8 placed crows and facing them in Adelaide in the finals. A team isn't going to achieve anything by doing this ultimately. Them being afraid just shows deep down they know they are not good enough, you wouldn't see this Hawks team afraid to face the crows in Adelaide. They will get found out in finals for the pretenders that they are.

I know I support the most pathetic team in the comp but if we do eventually make our way up the ladder, I'd be ashamed if they approached finals with this pathetic attitude. Scared of losing rather than anticipating victory. Just my opinion, no need for North supporters to be offended.

So taking in your logic, are you saying we're losing to avoid playing the Bulldogs instead avoiding Richmond?
Im saying you're tanking because the best winning can give you is an opponent you would prefer less. Losing gives you the opponent you want to play aswell as the opportunity to go hard at them so they are sore when you play the week after.

If Adelaide didn't make the 8 I wonder if this still would have happened. Always seems to be Adelaide involved, like the media forcing Dangerfield out and so much more. Betcha some will be celebrating if the Crows were to choke away their EF vs the Bulldogs by less than a kick, and the less than a kick loss is most likely going to happen. All fixed, esp when it comes to Adelaide it seems.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Adelaide didn't make the 8 I wonder if this still would have happened. Always seems to be Adelaide involved, like the media forcing Dangerfield out and so much more. Betcha some will be celebrating if the Crows were to choke away their EF vs the Bulldogs by less than a kick, and the less than a kick loss is most likely going to happen. All fixed, esp when it comes to Adelaide it seems.
After whats happened this year, I would have thought everyone would be barracking for Adelaide behind their own team.

Yup, and that is why Melbourne rotated players when they were tanking. Doesn't mean it's legal or not breaking any rules, now does it? Maybe a bit more critical thinking and comprehension required from some North fans.
It shouldn't be, that's the point. Teams should have as much right to lose a game as to try and win one. It's a silly control issue by the AFL.

Theres still 1 round to be played anything can still happen mate.

considering that since 2011 its been at shithad or tasmania in all but 1 game? and that one game was a team of boys wow, ******* CLAP CLAP :thumbsu:

Try facing 90k Richmond fans in the cauldron that is the MCG, oh wait i forgot, you campaigners would all die of ******* heart attacks from seeing more than 10K supporters. Richmond that the 'G is an entirely different ball game ;););););););););)

Essendon said the same thing last year - Big crowd was meant to spook us........

Surely it could not happen again that a "big 4" vic side get tossed out of the finals by us minnows.........

If Richmond lose they will drop to 7th, if Adelaide win they go up to 6th. North finishes 8th and faces the Western Bulldogs in an EF. Adelaide plays Richmond at home. So North will probably finish 8th no matter what happens, assuring Adelaide beats Geelong.

But I don't think Adelaide should even bother trying against Geelong if North loses on Friday. Adelaide may finish 8th, and could play Richmond first up which I believe is a better match-up for them. But no game is easy. The Western Bulldogs when at their best are a brilliant side.

You're guaranteeing a home final
We're not though. If Sydney lose then we'll have to go to Sydney. If the Dogs lose and we win (and Crows win) we'll go to Adelaide. Win or loss, us travelling for a final relies on an unlikely result. Logic dictates that we'll likely play at the G regardless of a win or a loss. Therefore this game doesn't effect our finals position very much at all. It only negatively effects Adelaide, and why should we play our full team and risk injury the week before finals just so Adelaide are happy?

Last edited:
Essendon said the same thing last year - Big crowd was meant to spook us........

Surely it could not happen again that a "big 4" vic side get tossed out of the finals by us minnows.........
and yet look at where Essendon are at, they are an entirely different team to us. The last 2 games against us, we lost moreso than you's won - 2014 we went to sleep in the 2nd half, and down in tassie our defence was non-existant (had an off day, it happens) not taking any credit away but both those games should have turned out different

considering that since 2011 its been at shithad or tasmania in all but 1 game? and that one game was a team of boys wow, ******* CLAP CLAP :thumbsu:

Try facing 90k Richmond fans in the cauldron that is the MCG, oh wait i forgot, you campaigners would all die of ******* heart attacks from seeing more than 10K supporters. Richmond that the 'G is an entirely different ball game ;););););););););)

North have won 3 of the last 4 against Richmond at the G, with the other game being a draw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back