AFL "integrity rule" re Freo and North resting players

Remove this Banner Ad

what would the betting be if North didn't rest a player?
As far as i know the teams are not even picked yet.
And what should betting agencies have to do with it anyway?
Any team has the right, no, they have an obligation to look after their players, if they think they are fatigued/sore, then they have a right to rest them, no other team gets to pick opposition squads, if you have a problem with that, write to the AFL and tell them to reduce squads.

It was $1.70 Tigers $2.10 Roos before we said we may rest. Tigers are now $1.08 and the Roos $7.50.

I am tipping it will be as bruise free as it gets if the Tigers lead by 10 goals going into the last.

They also have the right to try their best to win every game they play. Every player is fatigued and sore by this time of the year. So don't use that "obligation" to look after the players bs. Rest the few that are really sore. Have the rest play.
You think it's bullshit to rest players if you think it might improve your finals chances then?

You know you don't need to rest players to tank yeah?

Am I talking about other ways of trying to lose games? Am I engaging in an in-depth discussion of ways to tank? Or am I using it as an example of ways teams can break the rules?

Sheesh, the lack of comprehension from the people on this board is deplorable.

When it all boils down to it, resting players doesn't guarantee anything come the finals.

Just imagine if Sydney didn't rest players last year, we wouldn't have been able to laugh at Richmond in week one of the finals?

Am I talking about other ways of trying to lose games? Am I engaging in an in-depth discussion of ways to tank? Or am I using it as an example of ways teams can break the rules?

Sheesh, the lack of comprehension from the people on this board is deplorable.
You seem to have trouble understanding the rules.
If the AFL made teams play players that were ruled out by a Doc, then the AFL open up a can of worms, every team has a list of players for a purpose.

When it all boils down to it, resting players doesn't guarantee anything come the finals.

Just imagine if Sydney didn't rest players last year, we wouldn't have been able to laugh at Richmond in week one of the finals?
Lmao. What a fail of a cheap shot. Your first sentence was supposed to set up the second one yet they had nothing to do with each other. Might want to think about first next time, bud.

The issue people have - and the difference between North's situation and Freo's - is that North effectively forfeiting a game (or at least not naming a side that's likely to win) will have a negative effect on a team that's performed better and finished higher. I agree that you must be able to rest players before finals and it would be hard for the AFL to officiate how many can be reasonably rested, etc. but it's very unfair on Adelaide.

That's really not our problem though is it? Our job is to get our list in the best shape for a tilt at a flag.

Add this to the long list of inequities in the draw, draft, finals, byes, etc.

Are Tiges fans aware us beating them introduces the chance of playing in Adelaide, and no chance at an unlikely shot at a top 4 spot?
This is exactly why North's proposal is comp-rigging and the AFL should have banned/should ban it. Everyone is sore and carrying around niggles/tired bodies at this time of year. That's a constant. It doesn't matter if you enter into selections to manipulate the table and rest up your players so they're cherry-ripe for the finals. If one of your purposes is ladder manipulation, that's enough. Of course no club says, 'one of our purposes is to manipulate our finals draw'. The AFL needs to make a judgment call based on the objective situation and what a club, that is in fact planning to do something that increases its risk of losing a match, could gain by losing that match.

And the situation is: North are manipulating the result of a match because, on the ladder as it stands, provided their opponent this week wins, it is impossible for them to have to travel to Adelaide for their EF. As a ladder-manipulation exercise, they'll happily take the risk of GC Suns beating Sydney at the SCG—the odds of disaster if they lose this week (provided the combined Rich win over them plus the GCS win over Sydney is about 7 goals)—over the odds of Brisbane Lions at the Gabba upsetting a WB side who has had some struggles against low-ranked opponents this year, plus Adelaide beating Geelong in Geelong—the odds of disaster if they win.

The bookies suggest they are right: current odds of GCS over Sydney are $10 (presuming the Rich vs Syd percentage catch-up is a given, which it wouldn't be if NM was fielding its strongest team, so the 'competitive scenario' odds would be higher); Brisbane winning into Adelaide winning is $5.25 x $1.53= $8.03.

Last edited:
I have no problem with what North is doing, at the end of the day I think they are more doing it to rest their players before finals rather than improve their finals position. Only way for them to play crows with a win would be dogs losing to lions. They have as much chase as playing the swans in sydney with a loss.

there's nothing wrong with what north is doing. north have nothing to gain by winning. so why would you risk injury to goldstein, dal santo, harvey & co?

Seriously as Chiwigi said we are using players who are on an AFL list. They have been drafted and it is why teams have a list.

Seriously that is a ridiculous argument. If you made the GF you would pick the bottom 22 available players on your list !!! Why ... because you drafted them and they are on an AFL list ?

You said they should rest any players they think are fatigued or sore. Which would make up a large amount of the team. Most if not all could still play. Only should be resting the ones that are on the verge of not being able to play.
No, i said they have a right to rest them, not they should.
If resting players improves their playing capacity over the weeks to come, what is wrong with that?

You seem to have trouble understanding the rules.
If the AFL made teams play players that were ruled out by a Doc, then the AFL open up a can of worms, every team has a list of players for a purpose.

....I'm talking about the integrity rule, the rule in the thread title and the rule that I quoted a page or two back that says you can't manage players to improve your finals draw.

I just, cannot see how you've missed this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

....I'm talking about the integrity rule, the rule in the thread title and the rule that I quoted a page or two back that says you can't manage players to improve your finals draw.

I just, cannot see how you've missed this.
But are they manipulating it?
How long is it going to take to wipe the egg off your face if they win?

The AFL have given it the all clear, so whinge/argue do whatever you want, Norf have been given the right to 'rest' or not select a group of players against the Tigs on Friday night.

All this argument around integrity etc is bullshit, especially the part around match fixing.

See, this is well argued. But you're missing the possibility that the AFL has got this horribly wrong, and need to overturn their decision.

We don't just accept everything the AFL does and move on. That's why this board is here. Because they are a joke of an organisation and need to get a hell of a lot better.

They should have never given it the all clear and things need to change.

But are they manipulating it?
How long is it going to take to wipe the egg off your face if they win?

The fact that you still have the possibility Norf winning the match as part of your argument means that we are really finished here. You're beyond seeing reason, or even seeing what the actual debate is about. You're just bringing up weird little side-notes that have nothing to do with anything.

If they actually were they wouldn't be resting half the team. Actions speak louder than words.
On the flipside, we've also got some players who have been banging the door down in the VFL, who have been just absolutely waiting for an opportunity and they get their opportunity this week.

"We started the year with 39 players on our list who have played AFL footy so this Friday night we will go out with a team without a single debutant (and) two-thirds of our list and our team on Friday night will have played over 50 games.

I though you were finished?
Do you know it is possible that 22 players can be injured at the same time, unlikely, but possible.
Anyway, we are done, it seems the AFL agree.
Whats the most players out from reasons other than resting. Im going to go and say its never been 8.
AFL agree on a lot of things that are wrong. Why a teams being rewarded for finishing 8th is beyond me.

On the flipside, we've also got some players who have been banging the door down in the VFL, who have been just absolutely waiting for an opportunity and they get their opportunity this week.

"We started the year with 39 players on our list who have played AFL footy so this Friday night we will go out with a team without a single debutant (and) two-thirds of our list and our team on Friday night will have played over 50 games.
If you needed to win this game to make top 4 would a single player be rested?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back