AFL LIVE 2011 - 360, PS3 & PC - Part 11 - READ FAQ BEFORE POSTING

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFL 2007 is so bad, but it allows you to change socks AND pick who kicks the ball in. Seems weird, don't you think? It's mind-boggling.

The mind does boggle a bit about not being able to select who kicks the ball in. It boggles lot actually.

Then the same could be said for tattoo's. Am I right?

I think Ross is great for coming on here and giving us information on the game. The game looks fantastic (graphics wise, can't say anything for gameplay yet, but I'm sure it'll be great) but you have to admit it's a bit weird that it's not in it. That's all.

So you can identify Dane Swan in a pack by looking at his socks instead of his tattoos? Kudos to you sir

I highly doubt you can buy games directly from the developer unless its game that is downloadable only

They are the developer, not the distirbutor, they get lackies to worry about dispatching it

Cheers mate i thought this would be the case but was hoping maybe they were given a couple hundred copies to obtain a direct cash profit, as i do like eb games but in this case want BigAnt to profit greatly so all this hasnt been a waste of time.. People really need to just forget the history of AFL games and relax this game WILL be a NEW standard!!

Then the same could be said for tattoo's. Am I right?

I think Ross is great for coming on here and giving us information on the game. The game looks fantastic (graphics wise, can't say anything for gameplay yet, but I'm sure it'll be great) but you have to admit it's a bit weird that it's not in it. That's all.

Sorry but you're being ridiculous

Firstly. i never even noticed the socks. i don't know what players have socks up/down. it's not an issue for me. didn't even notice it with the Gary Ablett pic. and wouldn't know if Judd wears them up or down.

Tattoo's on the other hand are a distinguishable feature of a player. PERMANENT drawings on a persons body... MUCH more important than bloody socks.

Sock height is not at all important. And kicking out, while it may be disappointing, comparing it to AFL 2007 isnt the best, since it was the 6 iteration of the series so they had already had a chance to take everyones feedback on board. I'm not sure 2003 has it, I'll investigate that if i ever bother playing it again.

Sock height is not at all important. And kicking out, while it may be disappointing, comparing it to AFL 2007 isnt the best, since it was the 6 iteration of the series so they had already had a chance to take everyones feedback on board. I'm not sure 2003 has it, I'll investigate that if i ever bother playing it again.

What iteration it is doesn't matter. BigAnt surely would have gotten some ideas from the other games. Just because it's the first of THIS series of games doesn't mean it can't take ideas from the other versions, as terrible as they were (doesn't mean I didn't play them a ridiculous amount of times :p ).

Fair call on everything except the last bit.
Who would go Collingwood except Collingwood supporters?
They would be the last team i'd play as.
I don't intend to play as any team bar West Coast (ok maybe allstars etc) but I'd happily play as Collingwood if it meant versing others online was easier which is what the original poster was getting at.

Seeing ALL Collingwood online or balancing the team ability a bit so people DON'T play as the highest ranked team which was something Bigant had to consider & implement throughout development.

Does anyone really think I am going to have someone research every player and see what the sock height is of each leg? Anyone that's played knows it varies over the game and by left/right footedness and whether your coach gives you a backhander for not having your socks taped up :)
I don't care if something this trivial ever makes it into the game or not but,
you'd just code the option to have sockgate up or sockgate down in player editor and leave it at that. Then the user can do whatever he/she pleases.
If this has been in a previous AFL game I guarantee I've never looked twice at it. I do recall seeing a guernsey short/long sleeve option however.

I also agree this sock stuff is ridiculous, I think all posts involving sockgate should be deleted and people to bring it up from here on in get an infraction.
I think Ant and I will be more than willing to follow this up.

What iteration it is doesn't matter. BigAnt surely would have gotten some ideas from the other games. Just because it's the first of THIS series of games doesn't mean it can't take ideas from the other versions, as terrible as they were (doesn't mean I didn't play them a ridiculous amount of times :p ).
Maybe so but it doesn't change the fact its an entirely new game built from scratch. They have taken plenty away from previous games but you can't expect them to get everything into the game. If they managed to get every little thing that people wanted in the game we'd be waiting another 5+ years. I do know what you mean though and i am also guilty of playing prior AFL games an excessive amount lol.

The last I am going to say about socks at all - the problem is you *cannot* get the reference from the photoshoot. You *must* watch find reference video of every player and see if their socks or sock, be it left or right or both are down and to what level, and it's no good watching them at the bounce of the ball or qtr time or start of the qtr as the buggers might just pull them up, I know I used to pull mine up at stoppages! Please understand we need to use the resources as we see best.

That said, I will make sure that sock height is in future releases, even though you can't see it in game, and if someone would kindly supply me with every AFL player and rookies preferred sock heights then I will make sure that data makes it into the next iteration too.

On the full-back situation kicking out, I understand the thinking, and it is something we will consider next time.

The last I am going to say about socks at all - the problem is you *cannot* get the reference from the photoshoot. You *must* watch find reference video of every player and see if their socks or sock, be it left or right or both are down and to what level, and it's no good watching them at the bounce of the ball or qtr time or start of the qtr as the buggers might just pull them up, I know I used to pull mine up at stoppages! Please understand we need to use the resources as we see best.

That said, I will make sure that sock height is in future releases, even though you can't see it in game, and if someone would kindly supply me with every AFL player and rookies preferred sock heights then I will make sure that data makes it into the next iteration too.

On the full-back situation kicking out, I understand the thinking, and it is something we will consider next time.
Every AFL player and rookie? Does that mean Rookies are in the game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be clear about our process with regard to previous versions.

We disected every option from all previous games and evaluated how much time/effort each would take and benefit to the player. We then added the things that we wanted in the game.

We took into account my imperatives that the game had to flow, have as few "cuts" as possible, and be fun to play.

We then ranked these tasks in order of importance (our opinion) and worked down the list.

Sorry if I am wrong but if people want the socks in get them to write a code and send it to you?

Sorry I dont know too much about coding. :p

This sock business is ridiculous, if your gonna worry about things like that you'll be let down by the game, worry about a quality afl gameplay game first. Which is what I'm sure Ross has delivered.

hey ross could you make a forum sim in the game so we can argue about sock height if not maybe next time.

I think the fact that there is so much discussion about sock height is a credit to how much detail has gone into the game already. It wouldn't even be mentioned if the game was missing things that are actually important.

A question (as far as I know!) hasn't been asked:

I read there is weather/wind. How much can wind affect gameplay? Sometimes there are real games where there is an extremely strong breeze to one end, and the team kicking with the wind can easily kick 70m+, while the other team struggles to kick it 40m, and it can be near impossible to score against it. The port v coll game last year comes to mind where port kicked something like 6 goals to 0 in the first, and then pies kicked 7 goals to 1 in the second. Will this happen in some games, or is the wind a minor thing that really just affects aiming for goal?

And the wet weather aspect, does it make things like taking marks, and kicking goals harder?

Would be good if you had to change tactics depending on the weather.

I think the fact that there is so much discussion about sock height is a credit to how much detail has gone into the game already. It wouldn't even be mentioned if the game was missing things that are actually important.

A question (as far as I know!) hasn't been asked:

I read there is weather/wind. How much can wind affect gameplay? Sometimes there are real games where there is an extremely strong breeze to one end, and the team kicking with the wind can easily kick 70m+, while the other team struggles to kick it 40m, and it can be near impossible to score against it. The port v coll game last year comes to mind where port kicked something like 6 goals to 0 in the first, and then pies kicked 7 goals to 1 in the second. Will this happen in some games, or is the wind a minor thing that really just affects aiming for goal?

And the wet weather aspect, does it make things like taking marks, and kicking goals harder?

Would be good if you had to change tactics depending on the weather.

The wind will effect the length of kick, and direction, it's more discernable with set shots on goal.

Wet weather makes everything more difficult with regard to passing/marking, players will touch the ball on the ground instead of bouncing, the stuff you would expect.

You might want to change your tactics based on a strong wind and lock the ball into your forward/backline.

Richmond-Heritage-2004.gif

Wow, Ross I gotta say, you guys have done an amazing job with the varieties of jerseys!
West-Coast-7.gif

Praying this is in :D

Ross mate just a curious questions about player creation.

Many of us here are going to create players that are no longer in the AFL ie Cousins, Aker etc. Is it possible for BigAnt to release recomended stats to use for these players so they slot in nicely to game and are not unrealisticly good/bad?

I can't help but find sockgate a bit comical, and feel for Ross on his frustration.

I am trying to think of something equivalent that only us Canadians would panic about if it were to happen in the NHL series, but can't off the top of my head.

Watching hours upon hours of NAB Cup games has me right jacked up to start playing this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back