AFL LIVE 2011 - 360, PS3 & PC - Part - 27

Remove this Banner Ad

I should have probably prefaced all this by saying that I'm really only speaking of the Multiplayer facet of the game. I've probably wrongly assumed that everybody already knows and accepts that the AI in single player on this game is atrocious. In a nut shell, SP is boring ad very easy.

Multiplayer on the other hand...:thumbsu: (only negatives are the 1v1 restriction and the near-unbeatable super custom teams)

Ah so half of the game is atrocious, cool.

That was in regards to you calling it "pretty shit", not your skills.

Lol, I'm not going post hunting from 2 years ago, I just don't remember you being one of the very few who were bagging it in it's main thread at the time.

I definitely rubbished the NRL game.

Nut kicker alert.

...and that's all it is, your opinion. Don't go telling me that that's what the majority think (unloved red headed stepchild), because it's not.

Did I say majority? I said many. And what is 'unloved red headed stepchild'? You come across as hysterical, you should calm down.

Not sure whether or not there was a thread on this, but saw on the hawks website today that they were taking photos for a New AFL video game. Does anyone know any details? Surely it would have to be better than the unloved red headed step child that AFL live was...

It's made by the same mob, has a similar budget, will no doubt use the same engine.

If you didn't like the first game I'd strongly recommend playing the demo (if there is one) before buying.

Well I prefer mine from Eagle Boys personally...

But seriously, just because two games are made by the same dev doesn't mean people have to love or hate both of them, does it? They are still two separate games.

Both were shit.:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shit! what is wrong with some of the people posting on this most recent page? I myself have been playing AFL games since 2005 and have bought and played religiously every AFL game since including that pile of rubbish that was AFL Challenge and played and own AFL finals fever through to AFL Live. I can say that AFL Live is easily the best AFL game ever made and i don't understand how anyone could criticise it. Bigant (and Tru Blu) are clearly people who love the sport and have been amazing in first taking up this project and supporting it with dlc to fill in the 12 months with no new game aswell as Ross coming on here and answering questions and releasing screens before and after release. So i have nothing but respect for these guys and their hard work to deliver an AFL game that for the first time in a long time (maybe ever) actually feels alot like the sport( not perfect but not too far off) and to whoever said before that the graphics are ps2 like that is ridiculous as this game, in my opinion looks as good as atleast FIFA 10 which is terrific for such a small budget.

(And if you think this semi-rant was too long then don't get me started on those bloody super teams online lol)

The situation that BigAnt found themselves in is something not faced by developers since the days of the NES/SNES - being expected to create a AAA title from scratch on a miniscule budget. In today's development scene, the studios that are attempting to develop the big have access to a copious amount of money, a solid engine (or elements of the engine), or both.

It's only ever indie developers that lack both of these, and they are only making small, simple games - not trying to tackle a massive project like this. Not only do they find themselves in this restrictive situation, but the actual game itself would be extremely difficult to code, even for the big development studios like EA that have access to a lot of resources. There is no other sport that has as many possible gameplay variables as AFL; it makes soccer, basketball, rugby et al. look as simple as noughts and crosses.

And to think that Bigant are not only doing AFL but RL and Cricket amongst other projects shows how good they are. AFL Live was great, RLL2 looks terrific and a huge improvement on RLL1, Cricket simulator looks and sounds good and tabletop cricket looks terrific and is a interesting idea that looks to have some great acade fun. All signs point to AFL Live 2 being absolutely huge and this studio keep taking on the big guns of aussie sports and hitting them for six!!
Also while talking about cricket i reckon bigant will be getting my money as opposed to that ashes game as i've loved what bigant has done so far and i reckon trickstar have had enough chances to prove themselves with cricket.

The situation that BigAnt found themselves in is something not faced by developers since the days of the NES/SNES - being expected to create a AAA title from scratch on a miniscule budget. In today's development scene, the studios that are attempting to develop the big have access to a copious amount of money, a solid engine (or elements of the engine), or both.

It's only ever indie developers that lack both of these, and they are only making small, simple games - not trying to tackle a massive project like this. Not only do they find themselves in this restrictive situation, but the actual game itself would be extremely difficult to code, even for the big development studios like EA that have access to a lot of resources. There is no other sport that has as many possible gameplay variables as AFL; it makes soccer, basketball, rugby et al. look as simple as noughts and crosses.

This here is the toughest element. Given the shape of the ground, quick changes in direction, and numerous other factors, there will always be more variables to contend with than soccer or basketball. I think the problem with AFL Live is the hype was so huge that the game couldn't possibly keep up. Do I think they did well for what they had? Certainly, and given the game is going into a market that is dominated by massive companies, it actually held it's own well.

To use the sales line though, this game was always going to sell well. It was a game that, given the demographic it was intended for, was always going to be successful in that category.

To be fair, it was the small things in AFL Live (if you weren't on multiplayer) that made the biggest difference to the game. These issues, in particular, were lack of career mode, the commentary, gameplay (in general, goal kicking, tackling, general feel), customising of the game, etc. Harsh criticism perhaps, and hopefully some could be rectified with the new installment, which I will be buying regardless of how I felt towards AFL Live.

Last game was pretty terrible, not sure why it's being disputed, thought it was accepted. I'm hoping the series can take off and end up making something like FIFA, Madden or NBA2K.

Last game was pretty terrible, not sure why it's being disputed, thought it was accepted. I'm hoping the series can take off and end up making something like FIFA, Madden or NBA2K.

The game was "terrible" relative to what, exactly; all the other AFL games out there? A dirty, half rotten piece of bread would be terrible for us, but a God-send for a starving person in a developing country.

You're trying to compare the AFL game to an EA/2K title, which simply isn't fair. Not only have those two studios had several years to iron out any difficulties in their series of sports games (which have had many, many terrible titles), but they've been able to do so with a much bigger team and with a budget at their disposal that makes BigAnt's budget look absolutely laughable.

Something can only be "terrible" when there are several things in a similar situation that are clearly much better than it. I do not see any other AFL games out there, which would be much harder to code than Soccer/Basketball/Gridiron, and not only that, but I do not see any other new series of official, hardcore sports titles being developed on a shoe-string budget.

Let's see why this game was terrible compared to one of EA/2K's games.

Big Ant Budget: [$][$]
EA/2K Budget: [$][$][$][$][$][$][$][$][$][$][$][$][$][$][$][$][$][$][$][$] (And the rest)

Big Ant Target Audience: [Australia]
EA/2K Target Audience: [Worldwide]

Do you understand now?

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL LIVE 2011 - 360, PS3 & PC - Part - 27

Remove this Banner Ad

Back