AFL LIVE PASS - WHAT A JOKE!

Remove this Banner Ad

Just discovered that the updated AFL Live app downloaded from the Windows Store allows for full match replays (and all other videos) to be played on your computer with the Live Pass. HDMI cable from laptop to the TV, and you've got full screen HD footy! No wanky VPNs or other dodgy crap needed. Exactly the development that everyone has been waiting for!

The best part - As I'm a Telstra mobile customer, it's completely free!
but you can just go on the AFL website and play the match replays, If the app allows you to watch live games then it would be something new

If the app allows you to watch live games then it would be something new

Well hopefully it works like the phone app, once there are live games to show. It's actually got a window for Live Pass where you login, not just a link to match replays.

It's probably very optimistic to think they'd just be offering it that way too, though, as it would cannibalise a fair portion of their Foxtel market if people could just link their laptop to the tele and watch for free.

Last edited:
They sent a debt collection letter to my Dad who was 10 cents short on a bill. 10 cents!

He rang and asked if he could be put on a payment plan, they said no.

lol that's hilarious hope your old man gave them an ear bashing on the phone.

I'm pretty certain they would have arranged for the 10 cent cost to be waived without any fuss once he contacted them, rather than still demanding payment.

but you can just go on the AFL website and play the match replays, If the app allows you to watch live games then it would be something new

Hasn't the afl website taken down the smart replay option this year? I thought I heard it's only available with the pass now.

Plus the quality was shithouse, cannot compare to HD Fox Footy.

Well hopefully it works like the phone app, once there are live games to show. It's actually got a window for Live Pass where you login, not just a link to match replays.

It's probably very optimistic to think they'd just be offering it that way too, though, as it would cannibalise a fair portion of their Foxtel market if people could just link their laptop to the tele and watch for free.
Pretty sure if you try to watch live games through live pass on a pc or laptop, it just says that the device isn't compatible.

It states on their site you can only watch live games on a mobile device.

Just discovered that the updated AFL Live app downloaded from the Windows Store allows for full match replays (and all other videos) to be played on your computer with the Live Pass. HDMI cable from laptop to the TV, and you've got full screen HD footy! No wanky VPNs or other dodgy crap needed. Exactly the development that everyone has been waiting for!

yep

I just connect the phone to the tv but remember to turn the wifi on and the calls off. to avoid the pesky phone calls!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just tried to open some of the 'premium' content and got this message...

upload_2017-2-1_15-13-44.png

FYI - received an email from Telstra advising the AFL Live package will be offered free to their mobile customers on $30+ plans this year.

Motherf**ckers :(
Just installed the update and it no longer recognizes my yearly AppStore subscription after trying to restore. Gives me a 24hr subscription and then I have to renew.
Apparently only now works on an iPhone 5c and above. I have an iPhone 5. Didn't tell me that when I renewed last December. Never a problem before until now.
Also lack any options for customer support since I'm not a Telstra customer (because they're a bunch of khunts). Anyone have any ideas on who I can contact to get this fixed?

How is it the AFL's fault if you've modified your phone so it doesn't work?
Completely agree, the risks of rooting are pretty obvious and the terms on a lot of apps specify it wont work on rooted phones
It's a Google phone, which allows rooting. Rooting is rarely a negative thing.

EDIT: More to the point, I don't see why a rooted phone would stop them from allowing their app to work, especially when Telstra offers Google phones which allow rooting.

It's a Google phone, which allows rooting. Rooting is rarely a negative thing.

EDIT: More to the point, I don't see why a rooted phone would stop them from allowing their app to work, especially when Telstra offers Google phones which allow rooting.
Rooting makes it possible to bypass the checks for paid-for/premium content. It's much easier to do a blanket ban than it is to work out a way to determine who has legitimate reasons to root their phone and those who are just too cheap to pay for something they want.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL LIVE PASS - WHAT A JOKE!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back