AFL MVP 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn't. The fact that an umpire patrols the ENTIRE field and is pretty much involved in every contest, I think they would have more idea than a player that sits down one end of the field would care more about getting the ball rather than what had impacted on them getting the ball.

Can't remember a time that I've watched the Brownlow without shaking my head as a certain player gets 3 votes in a game when they were clearly not the best player on the field. Voting for the Brownlow is fundamentally flawed.

Swans minus Buddy got beaten by Richmond.
Just let that sink in then think who is more valuable to their side

Yes, that was the one and only reason that Sydney lose that game. Not because it was a dead rubber. Not because the Sydney player were mentally preparing for the final next week when the real season begins.

You could say that the Brownlow and Coaches' Award are biased towards more durable players though. Let's say the favourite (Selwood) wins the Brownlow. Him and Gray both played 22 games and won those awards when everyone knows Fyfe and Ablett have been the best two players this year, but just missed too many games. That's why I reckon the MVP is more relevant, 1st and 2nd (Fyfe and Gaz) >>>> Gray and Selwood on this year's output.
I reckon you're right to an extent. Just an absolute bizarre hypothetical but lets just say Fyfe and Ablett played 3-4 games at the start of the season and had 45 possessions in each of those games. They get their teams over the lines in those games but once they are out for the rest of the season, their teams drop off significantly. Would they still be MVP because of their output being more significant to those of others in the games they played in?

And the fact that they still could get votes on their reputation or because they are good mates with other players, just wouldn't sit right with me.

Fyfe thanks you all for your recognition of his greatness

nathan-fyfe-of-the-dockers_9x4ko0jv2ab61mhpmyjqa32mr.jpg

302370_gp.jpg

1_P2FrSy13MW1573.jpg

279704_gl.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't remember a time that I've watched the Brownlow without shaking my head as a certain player gets 3 votes in a game when they were clearly not the best player on the field. Voting for the Brownlow is fundamentally flawed.
Yes there will be times that a player will get votes where they probably shouldn't have but the umpires have a completely different perspective than that of spectators. They don't use stats to judge their votes, they just call it how the see it.

I wouldn't. The fact that an umpire patrols the ENTIRE field and is pretty much involved in every contest, I think they would have more idea than a player that sits down one end of the field would care more about getting the ball rather than what had impacted on them getting the ball.

I'd hope not and I'm sure they do have some favourites. But if one of there favourites play a couple of stinkers, they obviously won't be getting votes for that game.
Agreed, I'd say the majority of footballers aren't die hard football supporters and would maybe watch 1 match each weekend. Most are just too preoccupied with their own club and their social lives (understandably) to form an educated opinion about the rest of the competition.

Congrats to Fyfe! But I have never really rated this award at all, most players wouldn't give a shit when voting.
Agree. Fyfe is a great winner, but I reckon a lot of the voting is based on the general media/talk of who is the best. Players dont watch 9 games a week analysing who was the best player. Most wouldnt watch other teams outside of their opposition analysis clips.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL MVP 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back