AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

Was anyone playing or training on them?

I see them all the time too. But I dont see them used.
I drove past the grounds in Maroochydore on a Sunday (Fishermans Road) and both grounds had games on, with over a hundred watching (adjoining netball courts had heaps too).

Drove back to NSW on a Monday. All grounds empty.

People having been talking their doom since before GCS existed yet they are still growing and no debt.

If GCS relocated to Tasmania how many people would actually care ?
About ****in time with North, it’s only taken them over a hundred years, yet people are giving up on Gold Coast after a decade? Move them to Tassie and they don’t get their own team in state colours? Get the **** outta here…

Just a little anecdotal observation.

A couple of weeks ago I drove from central NSW to the Sunshine Coast.

On the way up I thought I noticed more AFL posts in parks than NRL driving through Toowoomba, Sunshine Coast hinterland and Caloundra-Maroochydore.

On the way home I counted them. 22 AFL grounds, 10 Rugby/League grounds.

Peter V doesn't believe you though, he reckons the AFL are counting arms and legs.

Yeah they are all just equivalents to Potemkin villages, funded and maintained by the AFL purely for propaganda purpose! Likewise all the clubs and listed players AFL Queensland 2023 grades for AFL Queensland Leagu | PlayHQ

All conspiracy to mask failure!
It’s the same story in WA, or SA for that matter.

Only Vic’s care about footy! Bring back the VFL and we shall return to our state leagues that only 100 people watch, which while admittedly is bad is at least on par with the mighty North Melbourne.

Peter V doesn't believe you though, he reckons the AFL are counting arms and legs.
The loud mouth bogan braggard V'Landys is easily pricked and I'm loving it -the 2023 AFL ave 36,000 to the NRL 18.000 = no contest!

AFL is played at huge stadiums with massive crowds and the RL is played a lot on pissy suburban grounds!
The AFL owns Marvel Stadium (replacement cost $1 Billion) what does the RL own?

The loud mouth bogan braggard V'Landys is easily pricked and I'm loving it AFL ave 36,000 to the NRL 18.000 = no contest!
AFL is played at huge stadiums with massive crowds and RL mostly played on pissy suburban grounds!
The AFL owns Marvel Stadium (replacement cost $1 Billion) what does the RL own?

This has been the case for a century. As a fan of both, I really don’t care and most other fans of league don’t either. Clubs like the Tigers, Sharks, Eagles, Dragons absolutely love their suburban grounds. Leichhardt on a Sunday afternoon is an amazing sporting experience, the Dogs are playing the odd game at Belmore and their fans love it.

Both games are entrenched with what they have. AFL has always been played on grounds with at least twice the area of the rugby codes. They HAVE to be bigger, much bigger, and as such in the history of the code it has always been incredibly spectator friendly as even the smallest grounds historically have made the biggest league grounds look small by comparison as far as capacity and viewing area goes. A single or two deck afl ground can house tens of thousands of fans. A single deck league ground can handle 10-15k. It’s always been predisposed to big crowds.

The nature of the sport also makes it a fantastic spectator game.

As an AFL fan I’m proud that it stacks up against any comp in the world for average attendance. As a league fan I love that it’s retained it’s roots as a tribal game where every side has their home in some capacity and I hope that never ever changes

The AFL has poured huge amounts of money in to NSW and QLD.

And that's a great place to put it otherwise it would be largely wasted.
They could pour (more) money into AFLW and perish the thought - grassroots and overseas.

It wouldnt surprise me at all that they waste.

First of all the AFL would be missing a lot of extra media rights money by not having the expansion teams
and secondly there is ample evidence of return on investment.
It may be arguable as to the degree of return of investment but to suggest it has been a compete waste is absolute stupidity.

The AFL has poured huge amounts of money in to NSW and QLD. It wouldnt surprise me at all that they waste. It can be incompetence not conspiracy.

Surely it takes immense competence to maintain fake websites full of dozens of fake competitions with hundreds of fake clubs and thousands of fake players without having this grand fraud exposed?

And that's a great place to put it otherwise it would be largely wasted.
They could pour (more) money into AFLW and perish the thought - grassroots and overseas.

First of all the AFL would be missing a lot of extra media rights money by not having the expansion teams
and secondly there is ample evidence of return on investment.
It may be arguable as to the degree of return of investment but to suggest it has been a compete waste is absolute stupidity.

Yes, the 38,000 people who watch games in Brisbane every weekend are hugely important.

There is no way the cost of the expansion clubs is made up for by the additional revenues. You really think Ch 7 and Foxtel pay that much more money for the 9th game each weekend?

Surely it takes immense competence to maintain fake websites full of dozens of fake competitions with hundreds of fake clubs and thousands of fake players without having this grand fraud exposed?

Spending hundreds of millions on sports played by thousands sure sounds like sensible business to me !

Or they could have poured it in to actual Aussie Rules states and strengthened those local competitions instead of sitting by while they die off one-by-one.

You really think Ch 7 and Foxtel pay that much more money for the 9th game each weekend?

That was the plan.
Or they could have poured it in to actual Aussie Rules states and strengthened those local competitions instead of sitting by while they die off one-by-one.

Name one competition that the AFL has strengthened.
I can name plenty that they've decimated.

Spending hundreds of millions on sports played by thousands sure sounds like sensible business to me !

What? The AFL has spent "hundreds of millions" funding football departments overwhelmingly.

If they hadn't have established those two clubs where do you think that money would have gone (i.e. to the extent they would have got the same amount in the first place)?

It would have gone to AFL players salaries and football department salaries anyway.

The AFL is probably spending a few million extra each year in NSW and Queensland to develop and grow the game.

The end game is obvious to all but idiots. Persistent growth in those markets to cement australian football as the national game it is and ought to be.

Or they could have poured it in to actual Aussie Rules states and strengthened those local competitions
What does that even mean? The AFL (WAFC and SANFL in those states) has established governance arrangements and supportive investments across grass roots football competitions. Ultimately though they are going to rely, like they always have, on volunteerism and locals wanting to play.

instead of sitting by while they die off one-by-one.

Where do you think this is happening?

What is the AFL meant to do in the few places it is happening? Subsidise the salaries of part time footballers?

You really have no idea.

You are just a stream of angry nonsene thinking it is thinking

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know, I can understand the supporters of smaller Vic clubs when anyone such as myself has suggested relocating being upset. I don’t have any sympathy for supporters of those clubs who suggest that the Giants or Suns fold, though. That’s hypocrisy. If expansion clubs aren’t allowed protection, neither should relic Vic clubs.

You know, I can understand the supporters of smaller Vic clubs when anyone such as myself has suggested relocating being upset. I don’t have any sympathy for supporters of those clubs who suggest that the Giants or Suns fold, though. That’s hypocrisy. If expansion clubs aren’t allowed protection, neither should relic Vic clubs.

Protect the new ahead of the old?

That's a pretty ridiculous argument to make.

Protect the new ahead of the old?

That's a pretty ridiculous argument to make.
Then you must be furious about what they did to Fitzroy and what they tried to do to North. The AFL has made their intentions clear that they will protect the new ahead of the old when it comes to the smaller Vic clubs.

Embarrassing comments by Gill. Nothing wrong with talking up the positives with growth in QLD, but saying it will be the biggest sport is silly and not needed. Tv ratings are an important metric, since not everyone can afford tickets or to participate in organised sport. NRL dominates this in QLD.

Growth has been fantastic, but keep the embarrassing comments in check.

Embarrassing comments by Gill. Nothing wrong with talking up the positives with growth in QLD, but saying it will be the biggest sport is silly and not needed. Tv ratings are an important metric, since not everyone can afford tickets or to participate in organised sport. NRL dominates this in QLD.

Growth has been fantastic, but keep the embarrassing comments in check.

Did you listen to the interview?

He didn't declare anything like the article said, he just clapped back at the host who was shitting on the Suns.

This is the problem with media and clickbait. Most people just read the headline and then go off on a rant.

Exactly. I checked out r/NRL and they'd all taken the bait and were getting riled up.

I don't blame people reading it, even beyond the headlines it read as a declaration. The media had pretty cleverly spliced the comments together to read like it. Unless you listen to the interview, you don't get the full context.

The line that got everyone going was "becoming an AFL state". Which he meant in comparison to catching up to the other AFL states, not as Queensland overtaking as an AFL-dominant state.

The line that got everyone going was "becoming an AFL state". Which he meant in comparison to catching up to the other AFL states, not as Queensland overtaking as an AFL-dominant state.

Yes, every time you mention that AFL is apparently doing well somewhere someone has to make comparisons with the dominant sport or a global sport.
It's quite pointless.

Yes, every time you mention that AFL is apparently doing well somewhere someone has to make comparisons with the dominant sport or a global sport.
It's quite pointless.

That's when you respond with 'yeah similar to the NFL, a domestic sport that is the biggest sport in the country'.

Funnily enough the soccer numpties in the U.S are the same, whingeing about the NFL saying it should be called 'hand egg' and it isn't international. American's couldn't care less though, a section of Australian's seem to really suffer with having to be internationally relevant, typically people that have barely ever been outside of Australia themselves I've noticed.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back