AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

The Queensland government pulling the rug from under the Lions on funding for the replacement venue (RNA) and offering no compensation for losses incurred during their 4 year displacement has the potential to stuff footy in the QLD capital and send the Lions broke.

This is apolitical as the opposition haven't made any promises either as far as I know, but you can help out footy in QLD by emailing your dissatisfaction if you like:

QLD sports minister (scroll to bottom):

And premiers office:
premier@ministerial.qld.gov.au

The Queensland government pulling the rug from under the Lions on funding for the replacement venue (RNA) and offering no compensation for losses incurred during their 4 year displacement has the potential to stuff footy in the QLD capital and send the Lions broke.

This is apolitical as the opposition haven't made any promises either as far as I know, but you can help out footy in QLD by emailing your dissatisfaction if you like:

QLD sports minister (scroll to bottom):

And premiers office:
premier@ministerial.qld.gov.au
In these austere times NO SPORT should rely on taxpayers money

What a strange comment. It's not relying on it, it's being kicked out to the street and being told to make do.

Also Albanese just committed 600 million to an overseas nrl team, 1/5th of that to the Australian teams the lions and cricket for their temporary facility would ensure both sports don't go broke in Brisbane.

You do, but you chose to ignore, but that's your choice
How is your post related to mine that said there are no NRL players from Melbourne other than those who parents are from outside of Vic/SA/Wa/Tas and therefore we’re likely playing RL due to their parents, which contrasts to NSW/QLD where dozens of AFL players whose parents played/followed RL yet they took up AFL?
I posted this to illustrate how NRL has not had the same impact in Vic as AFL has had in QLD, which is what the poster I replied to had stated.

What a strange comment. It's not relying on it, it's being kicked out to the street and being told to make do.

Also Albanese just committed 600 million to an overseas nrl team, 1/5th of that to the Australian teams the lions and cricket for their temporary facility would ensure both sports don't go broke in Brisbane.
I agree with you NO SPORT should receive taxpayers money and that should apply to the Tassie stadium as well, which when i last looked was going to cost taxpayers more than any PNG NRL Team.
Soccer clubs in England don't receive taxpayers money for stadium builds or rebuilds so why should sports teams here receive taxpayers money?

I agree with you NO SPORT should receive taxpayers money and that should apply to the Tassie stadium as well, which when i last looked was going to cost taxpayers more than any PNG NRL Team.
Soccer clubs in England don't receive taxpayers money for stadium builds or rebuilds so why should sports teams here receive taxpayers money?

600 million to an overseas nrl team in albos self declared favourite sport v 250 million for a Tasmania stadium that creates Australian jobs, benefits the economy, multiple sports, concerts and ensures Tasmania gets its long awaited footy team, it's a big difference.

Also the QLD government made promises to the lions that they wouldn't be out of pocket due to the gabba demolition, then backflipped the other day.

I'd be happy if no government money is spent on anything in the future too, although your mates in the nrl and soccer would go broke, they've never contributed to a stadium build like the AFL typically do.

600 million to an overseas nrl team in albos self declared favourite sport v 250 million for a Tasmania stadium that creates Australian jobs, benefits the economy, multiple sports, concerts and ensures Tasmania gets its long awaited footy team, it's a big difference.

Also the QLD government made promises to the lions that they wouldn't be out of pocket due to the gabba demolition, then backflipped the other day.

I'd be happy if no government money is spent on anything in the future too, although your mates in the nrl and soccer would go broke, they've never contributed to a stadium build like the AFL typically do.
I'll you'll find more than $250 million at the final count for the Tassie stadium is way short.
I'm glad you agree that taxpayers money shouldn't be used to build or rebuild sports stadiums.
On that note i wish you good day

I'll you'll find more than $250 million at the final count for the Tassie stadium is way short.
I'm glad you agree that taxpayers money shouldn't be used to build or rebuild sports stadiums.
On that note i wish you good day

We are comparing the federal government commitment. Overseas nrl team 600 mill, local Australian Tasmania (stadium which results in afl team) 240 mill.

NRL commitment for 18th licence $0.00
AFL commitment for 19th licence, $15 million for the stadium, over $300 million for development of the new team.

So you'd be totally against the government funding any PNG entry into the NRL.
I guess you were totally upset when the feds funded townsville stadium to the tune of $400 million.
I guess you were totally upset when Brisbane got the Olympics on the promise of using existing infrastructure
and promptly announced the complete demolition and rebuild of the Gabba requiring $250 million to upgarde RNS
as a temporary measure.

A PNG RL team will be a disaster and a total waste of Australian taxpayers money as the place is a very poor broke run down third world dump prone to violence esp in Port Morseby and yes I have been there a few times for work!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A PNG RL team will be a disaster and a total waste of Australian taxpayers money as the place is a very poor broke run down third world dump prone to violence esp in Port Morseby and yes I have been there a few times for work!
Hard to believe PNG was an Australian territory for close to 70 years (1906-75). Maybe there's some guilt about the state its currently in and the government wants to help out a former Australian territory for that reason? There's also the growing relations between PNG and China that are of concern. Bit weird that the NRL is being used as a political tool for the Prime Minister to maintain alliances within the Pacific but I guess that just goes to show the power of sport. If a PNG team does succeed in the NRL then I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a push to start an AFL team there as well considering footy is the second most popular sport there. PNG technically falls under the Suns academy zone but the AFL might take it more seriously and start their own academy if the NRL can make it work.

In that case, it's good to see that you agree that PNG shouldn't join the NRL.
In that case, it's good to see that you agree Brisbane should go back to the original plan of using existing infrastructure
and certainly not rebuild the Gabba.
In that case, maybe it's a good idea for the NRL to repay stadiums it had built for NRL like Townsville.
In that case, maybe it's a good idea to stop all funding to the Olympic sports.

In that case, it's good to see that you agree that PNG shouldn't join the NRL.
In that case, it's good to see that you agree Brisbane should go back to the original plan of using existing infrastructure
and certainly not rebuild the Gabba.
In that case, maybe it's a good idea for the NRL to repay stadiums it had built for NRL like Townsville.
In that case, maybe it's a good idea to stop all funding to the Olympic sports.

BOOM!

oh oh oh but but buy how many professional AFL teams are there outside of Australia?

As some one who's lived in Queensland all of my life, I can only laugh at the delusion that AwFuL is taking over NRL in the Sunshine State.

Look at the TV ratings on FTA in Brisbane:

Broncos 170k
Cowboys 131k
Titans 131k
Dolphins 126k
Non-Queensland NRL Teams 98k
Overall NRL Average 111k

Lions 48k
Suns 22k
Non-Queensland AwFuL Teams 26k
Overall AwFuL Average 30k

To get an idea of how big NRL is in Brisbane, compare it with the terrible FTA ratings for AwFuL in Perth:

Eagles 74k
Dockers 69k
Non-Perth AwFuL Teams 45k

Keep in mind that all Lions, Suns, Eagles and Dockers games are broadcast live on FTA in their home markets. Not all Broncos, Dolphins, Cowboys and Titans games are broadcast live on FTA.

Once the Brisbane Tigers get an NRL licence it'll be the beginning of the end for the Lions. Tigers have an asset base of $135m and four junior clubs in Logan, including two in the area surrounding the Lions@Springwood Social Club.

Last edited:
As some one who's lived in Queensland all of my life, I can only laugh at the delusion that AwFuL is taking over NRL in the Sunshine State.

Look at the TV ratings on FTA in Brisbane:

Broncos 170k
Cowboys 131k
Titans 131k
Dolphins 126k
Non-Queensland NRL Teams 98k
Overall NRL Average 111k

Lions 48k
Suns 22k
Non-Queensland AwFuL Teams 26k
Overall AwFuL Average 30k

To get an idea of how big NRL is in Brisbane, compare it with the terrible FTA ratings for AwFuL in Perth:

Eagles 74k
Dockers 69k
Non-Perth AwFuL Teams 45k

Keep in mind that all Lions, Suns, Eagles and Dockers games are broadcast live on FTA in their home markets. Not all Broncos, Dolphina, Cowboys and Titans games are broadcast live on FTA.

Once the Brisbane Tigers get an NRL licence it'll be the beginning of the end for the Lions. Tigers have an asset base of $135m and four junior clubs in Logan, including two in the area surrounding the Lions@Springwood Social Club.

Nobody realistically thinks the AFL is going to overtake the NRL in Queensland any time soon.

But the Lions are going strong. They sold out the Gabba seven times this year. The Dolphins' inaugural season clearly had zero impact on the Lions.

Brisbane is half the size of Sydney, with only a quarter as many AFL/NRL teams. There's plenty of room in Brisbane for the Lions, Broncos, Dolphins and a third NRL team.

But it doesn't matter, Perth's getting the 18th NRL team anyway.

You lost me with your childish and not necessary AwFul tag - I suggest you grow up and stick with insecure Australian Football haters on LU!

Most of the points you make are not valid = just wishful thinking and dreaming.
I provided the source of my information. You're in denial, my friend.

ive lived in qld for 10+ years now, moving from perth.
i know nrl gets higher ratings, but whenever i am with local qlders (or nsw folks who have oved up here), and the nrl is on, they seem to watch it like most people watch cricket - its just on in background while they do other stuff. unlike i think most afl tv watchers who like watch it like its a movie, concentrate on the game, only get up a after a goal to grab a drink,food or take a piss

so maybe thats why nrl gets high ratings, people have it on, but there is little engagement. much less talk about the game the next day or at work etc

IMHO

just my observations

PNG is getting the 18th NRL licence.

Perth has no chance of getting an NRL team. Fumbleball is too ingrained in Western Australian culture.

Perth only has 4k registered rugby league players.

NRL FTA ratings in Perth are just 8k. In 2017 when Foxtel provided a metropolitan breakdown of the NRL ratings they indicated just 5k watched in Perth.

A Perth NRL team doesn't need to compete with the AFL crowds.

A third Perth AFL team will need to get ~30k to not be embarrassing next to West Coast and Freo, but a Perth NRL team only needs to get 10-15k crowds to match the NRL. And I reckon it'd be a pretty safe bet.

A new time-zone, an underserviced market, a Perth NRL team seems like such a homerun.

Everyone on here will go into a meltdown when PNG enters a team in the National Rugby League. Australia's premier football competition.

A PNG NRL team affects the AFL least of any option. Next to no competition for any AFL team. I'm not a fan of that much government money going to a team, but I think a PNG team would be pretty cool if they could pull it off. Go for gold.

Nobody realistically thinks the AFL is going to overtake the NRL in Queensland any time soon.

But the Lions are going strong. They sold out the Gabba seven times this year. The Dolphins' inaugural season clearly had zero impact on the Lions.

Brisbane is half the size of Sydney, with only a quarter as many AFL/NRL teams. There's plenty of room in Brisbane for the Lions, Broncos, Dolphins and a third NRL team.

But it doesn't matter, Perth's getting the 18th NRL team anyway.
Some posters on here do.

a little anecdote given the earnest efforts of our 'brisbane lions' friend above

• i raised some questions about a rugby league crowd figure on LU Xitter last year (may have even been early this year - there is a record of the exchange on another big footy thread but cant be bothered checking) - within minutes of the Xitter post i had people accusing me of trolling (fair enough i thought - prosecute a viewpoint in hostile territory you should expect to be challenged) .... within minutes of these exchanges i was blocked from the LU account (a little sensitive .... but there ya go)
  • contrast that with exchange here ..... think its fair to see most here are amused at the effort and mildly curious to see how this conversation will proceed

[edit] aussie in denial has arrived lol

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back