AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon you'd find the city of Geelong (approx 250k) alone produces more AFL players than the state of Tasmania (approx 550k).
Geelong falcons maybe. Not all of the players are from Geelong.

I don't want to derail the thread happy to be kicked out but just a question why do NRL clubs have so many more followers on social media compaired to AFL? Any idea's opinions?

My guess, at least partially, is that a large chunk would come from the UK.

If you're following rugby league in England, you'd be more inclined to follow a team in the NRL, too, and it doesn't take much commitment to follow a team on social media.

If you're following rugby league in England, you'd be more inclined to follow a team in the NRL, too, and it doesn't take much commitment to follow a team on social media.

Or perhaps even more likely, PNG.

Another possibility is the NRL has more actively pursued this outcome (i.e. I am pretty sure there have been facebook like = free tickets promotions in the past)

It is at odds with all other more object activity (website, number of tv viewers, google trends etc)

Another possibility is the NRL has more actively pursued this outcome (i.e. I am pretty sure there have been facebook like = free tickets promotions in the past)

It is at odds with all other more object activity (website, number of tv viewers, google trends etc)
I agree the NRL are at odds with the AFL as you call it (with all other more object activity). Eg I don't get how the Rabbitohs have so many more followers than the Magpies even after they one the flag.

I agree the NRL are at odds with the AFL as you call it (with all other more object activity). Eg I don't get how the Rabbitohs have so many more followers than the Magpies even after they one the flag.
Russell Crowe.

Would have many celebrates, who would have many random tag alongs.

Yeah about 2 million people in png have the internet, I'm sure that's where the bulk come from as you see them commenting on r.l stories on Facebook etc.

The problem is though, because png has no commercial returns those accounts are basically worthless to sponsors, advertisers etc. As seen by the fact that in a lot of cases, AFL clubs get double the sponsorship dollars of an nrl team.

Have a look at post engagement.... Collingwood, despite having significantly less followers, gets a lot more likes and comments on its posts than South Sydney does.

Beware fake followers.

Yes I had a look at that the Magpies have a heap more likes and comments.
My experience from living in Qld for the last 5-6 years is that (on average) AFL fans are more passionate about the clubs they support than NRL fans are about theirs. The situation might be different in Sydney, since most clubs are based there, but in QLD the average person doesn’t give a rats about rugby unless it’s origin time, finals, or there’s something big happening in the sport.

Even people who follow NRL clubs don’t seem to be as one-eyed and engaged with their club as what AFL fans are. Liking something on social media is easy, but how many rugby league supporters are attending games, buying memberships, talking about the weekend’s games first thing on Monday morning? Not many up here from what I’ve observed but all of those things are so commonplace in the Southern states during footy season. There have been multiple Vic, South Aussies and Taswegians up here who I’ve spoken with about that phenomenon and we’ve all noticed it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have a look at post engagement.... Collingwood, despite having significantly less followers, gets a lot more likes and comments on its posts than South Sydney does.

Beware fake followers.

Wouldn't surprise me with their penchant for fake crowd numbers.

My experience from living in Qld for the last 5-6 years is that (on average) AFL fans are more passionate about the clubs they support than NRL fans are about theirs. The situation might be different in Sydney, since most clubs are based there, but in QLD the average person doesn’t give a rats about rugby unless it’s origin time, finals, or there’s something big happening in the sport.

Even people who follow NRL clubs don’t seem to be as one-eyed and engaged with their club as what AFL fans are. Liking something on social media is easy, but how many rugby league supporters are attending games, buying memberships, talking about the weekend’s games first thing on Monday morning? Not many up here from what I’ve observed but all of those things are so commonplace in the Southern states during footy season. There have been multiple Vic, South Aussies and Taswegians up here who I’ve spoken with about that phenomenon and we’ve all noticed it.
I lived in the Central West of NSW in the early 80s and Sydney in the mid 90s (prior to Super League) and my observation was that interest in RL there was only about half that of AF in Melbourne and Country Victoria where I otherwise resided in those decades. Long time ago, but I doubt it has changed much.

Reading the comments I'm thinking that the high numbers for NRL are a combination of factors, overseas/dodgy followers and other incentives to follow. But I gotta admit that Rabbitohs figure is astounding.

Reading the comments I'm thinking that the high numbers for NRL are a combination of factors, overseas/dodgy followers and other incentives to follow. But I gotta admit that Rabbitohs figure is astounding.

Albo might have used Aussie taxpayer dollars to persuade a bunch of png people to sign up to the 'south sydney rabbitohs rugby league football club' socials.

They are like the port of the afl from what I've seen, they need to tarp out nearly the whole stadium to cover the swathes of empty seats at their home games.

I lived in the Central West of NSW in the early 80s and Sydney in the mid 90s (prior to Super League) and my observation was that interest in RL there was only about half that of AF in Melbourne and Country Victoria where I otherwise resided in those decades. Long time ago, but I doubt it has changed much.
I worked in a large communications terminal in Paddington for 22 years and cannot recall NSWRL being discussed much at all.
IMO Australian Football fans seem to be the only ones that are concerned how the game was played rather than just the result.
That's why Australian Football is such an easy conversation starter.

Albo might have used Aussie taxpayer dollars to persuade a bunch of png people to sign up to the 'south sydney rabbitohs rugby league football club' socials.

They are like the port of the afl from what I've seen, they need to tarp out nearly the whole stadium to cover the swathes of empty seats at their home games.
Anything's possible

I worked in a large communications terminal in Paddington for 22 years and cannot recall NSWRL being discussed much at all.
IMO Australian Football fans seem to be the only ones that are concerned how the game was played rather than just the result.
That's why Australian Football is such an easy conversation starter.
I went to a high school in Melbourne with a lot of Greek kids in the early 80s. None of them could go to games due to Greek School being on a Saturday. Still, there was heaps of discussion and banter with them and others especially on Monday mornings. A lot of them also liked soccer but they were right into the VFL.

I also attended a high school in Lithgow for a couple of years and discussion of the NSWRL was far less. It was about 3 hours to central Sydney through the Blue Mountains but I do not recall ever hearing of any of these overwhelmingly "Aussie" teenage students or any adults in the area travelling down to watch RL games. In contrast, I went to both SCG matches the Dogs played in, the latter time with a couple of classmates who had an interest in AF.

Touch rugby was popular at lunchtime and recess in winter to be fair, but the number of boys in the area who played club soccer far exceeded those who played club RL.

I don't want to derail the thread happy to be kicked out but just a question why do NRL clubs have so many more followers on social media compaired to AFL? Any idea's opinions?

Also the Kiwis. Rugby union is obviously their number 1 over there, but there's still a following for Rugby league.

When I was over there this year, they knew all those big name players and would really get around state of origin as well

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back