AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

Objectively, much of what he has done has expanded the NRL as a competition,

Yes, the Dolphins were well overdue to more accurately represent interest in Brisbane.

not so much rugby league as a sport.

Yes.

That said, expanding to Perth will be actual expansion and growth of the game.

Not really. The Bears are a terrible concept (as say against Cronulla) but enough expats will attend

Expanding the NRL to PNG with attendant spending on development programs will grow rugby league there.

Who cares ? If it weren't for federal money the PNG would pull down the NRL severely.

Does he talk about the AFL too much?

He thinks too much of AFL and not enough of what's good for NRL.

Sometimes. Sometimes they care as much as everyone else

Australian Rules Football fans care passionately, arguably more than NRL fans but there is a huge difference
in what fans think of the "opposition".

I know that anecdotal evidence means little, but in my long lifetime, indifference sums up AFL fans attitude to NRL.
That has changed slightly, when AFL fans over hear hear that Albo is giving $600 million to NRL
(Somehow that fact has been kept mostly a secret) That angst is direct towards Albo rather than NRL.
I?MO AFL think it's rather ;pathetic of the NRL to go hand in cap to support their league.

In the same time I've heard plenty of NRL types saying they "hate" AFL.
I guess they blame the poor state of NRL on the "AFL invasion".

I actually blame the AFL for this situation.
The AFL hasn't explained the history and the importance of the game to Australia over time.
I guess they cannot since it was the AFL that destroyed the state leagues, the foundation of Australian Football.
Very few people know the history of the NSWFL in 1903 and the founding clubs and those founding clubs were largely copied by the NSWRL founded in 1908.

Well, it's delusional by Albo that he can give away $600 million of hard earned taxpayers money to such an irrelevant project and not suffer political fallout.
The Aus government funds Fiji rugby union to embarrass us at the World Cup. Apparently it is geopolitically important as it keeps them aligned with us and not China

Back to QLD, I’ve been an interested observer in SEQ this week. I don’t think I’m exaggerating when I suggest the apmosphere and build up to the GF this week has been underwhelming. Likely because no QLD team. There was unquestionably more hype around SEQ for the AFL / Lions last week than the NRL this week. The papers were swamped with Lions last / this week with NRL taking a backwards step. That’s evidence of the changing landscape up here for sure. AFL is taking market share….

ABC Brisbane hasn’t really been focussing on the NRL. No live sites, not much focus. Just the state election which is probably sucking the Oxygen out of the NRL too.

Times are changing. The Lions and the AFL are here and are more than just making up the numbers in SEQ. I sense AFL / Lions are bigger than even the NRL pundits thought these days.

And if LNP win, the GABBA will either be rebuilt or a new stadium will be supported and that means another big lift for AFL and its encroachment in rugby league heartland.

May the AFL keep forging forward!

Good post, I thought the same since watching the media there last week and this week a bit. The one thing I don't like is the use of the term 'rugby league heartland', sick of hearing it every time the afl is mentioned in the media up there 😅.

On the qld state election, they had the debate the other day. I don't get how the lib guy says he'll throw out the qsac option, but they won't be building a new stadium. What's the option then? Can he even backtrack on that when elected, as his terms of reference for his 100 day enquiry don't even include a new stadium. A new stadium at Victoria park is the only decent option, otherwise the government needs to compensate cricket and the lions. So yes a liberal victory is good, however, I've got no idea what his plan could be if he won't build a new stadium?

Well, it's delusional by Albo that he can give away $600 million of hard earned taxpayers money to such an irrelevant project and not suffer political fallout.

I'm staggered it hasn't been reported on more and that the opposition haven't gone after it in a cost of living crisis. The other stupid thing about the idea is, does it have in the contract that png won't take any more money from China in the future? Of course they will. It's a concocted way by albo to over fund his favorite sport to strengthen it's popularity, with Australian tax payer's money.

Recent Google trends show a 30/70 split between AFL/NRL in QLD and a 25/75 split in NSW.
Compare this to the 90/10 split in Victoria, Tasmania, WA and SA.

If the AFL are serious about growing the game in QLD, they should contribute to the funding for a new Olympic stadium at Victoria park. Would be very beneficial for the games growth and overtaking NRL in this state.

If the AFL are serious about growing the game in QLD, they should contribute to the funding for a new Olympic stadium at Victoria park. Would be very beneficial for the games growth and overtaking NRL in this state.
It shouldn’t be up to the AFL. Yet cricket Aus and the AFL need to work together here.

If they renovate QSAC for the games it maybe cheaper. But what use is there for it afterwards? None.

If they build a stadium that can house the Lions, Heat and international cricket it will be used 20 plus times a year.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back