AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

When the state government built Perth Stadium cricket and football were separate.
Perth was crying out for a new oval stadium. cricket wanted NO PART of the new stadium.
The WACA was a very good option, saving the government many $ millions but cricket wanted NO PART of the new stadium.
The first thing cricket did after the build was schedule games at the new stadium.
games that drew well under the minimum break even point.

Just like in Tassie, albo made sure the afl drained the coffers and had to put $15 mil into the stadium there 'I want a bigger commitment from the afl' he said. That's basically a whole years worth of the afl's annual profits. Yet cricket as usual put in nothing and get the same benefits, then they jump in late on the gravy train. Then Aussie in exiles sports nrl and soccer are even worse, they never put a cent in yet demand new stadiums, then fill them less than 50 percent full, creating a massive financial burden on repaying the costs of the build.

To give you an indication, a stadium in Brisbane would cost less than 0.5 percent of the state governments annual revenue. If the afl were to build the $3 billion stadium, it would take them over 100 years to pay off.

To give you an indication, a stadium in Brisbane would cost less than 0.5 percent of the state governments annual revenue. If the afl were to build the $3 billion stadium, it would take them over 100 years to pay off.

The damage is done. Some idiot thought the Olympics would be a good idea.
They justified this decision by saying we'll use existing infrastructure as much as possible.
They compounded this decision by saying that we could simply "upgrade" the Gabba.

Then reality hit.
The Gabba is too small and not really upgradeable only demolishable.
The Olympics demands a flash stadium and the cost equates to the cost of an unsuitable Gabba and temporary builds.
The post Olympics demands that infrastructure builds will be the best bang for buck and incorporate transport options.

The Perth Stadium is fantastic and suitable for all codes and big events but it has one huge drawback.
The Perth Stadium is expensive to run because of transport requirements.
The Perth Stadium, built in a better position would have allowed much more frequent use.

Back to QLD, I’ve been an interested observer in SEQ this week. I don’t think I’m exaggerating when I suggest the apmosphere and build up to the GF this week has been underwhelming. Likely because no QLD team. There was unquestionably more hype around SEQ for the AFL / Lions last week than the NRL this week. The papers were swamped with Lions last / this week with NRL taking a backwards step. That’s evidence of the changing landscape up here for sure. AFL is taking market share….

ABC Brisbane hasn’t really been focussing on the NRL. No live sites, not much focus. Just the state election which is probably sucking the Oxygen out of the NRL too.

Times are changing. The Lions and the AFL are here and are more than just making up the numbers in SEQ. I sense AFL / Lions are bigger than even the NRL pundits thought these days.

And if LNP win, the GABBA will either be rebuilt or a new stadium will be supported and that means another big lift for AFL and its encroachment in rugby league heartland.

May the AFL keep forging forward!

No Queensland sides left in the NRL finals, or this would be completely different.

I saw the lions have impressively added 40k Instagram followers over the past 5 months off a previous base of 170k back in May this year, to now be at 214k followers. That's a significant jump in such a short period of time.

The giants and swans also added some good numbers in the past year. I'd say those 3 northern clubs might have had the highest percentage increases in the afl in the last 5 to 18 months.

I saw the lions have impressively added 40k Instagram followers over the past 5 months off a previous base of 170k back in May this year, to now be at 214k followers. That's a significant jump in such a short period of time.

Its not even 5 months, I measured all social media for AFL clubs on September 19th and they were at 187,000. They've gained 27,000 followers in a little over 2 weeks

Its not even 5 months, I measured all social media for AFL clubs on September 19th and they were at 187,000. They've gained 27,000 followers in a little over 2 weeks

It shows what success does. It's interesting though, they have been successful for 6 years and played in a grand final last year, so I dunno what the difference is this year, unless a lot of those came after the flag win. This is where it was 5 months ago.

20241005_205459.jpg

Also the giants I'm pretty sure were just over 100k at the start of 2023, now at nearly 150k.

1728126245805.png

This was last year, and this year on September 19th - all clubs.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back