AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s not just that. That’s a simplistic view. I live in SEQ and I can assure you that AFL and the Lions (in particular) are certainly getting more coverage across all media platforms here. Have been for years. The media focus on the Lions has been steadily increasing for years, I think the Covid year really propelled it to a new level.

As a comparison for Vics playing along, the Lions imo get more coverage and certainly have a stronger foothold in this market than the Storm do in Melbourne. AFL is a genuine competitor and threat to the native game up here and a significant presence, NRL isn’t a genuine competitive threat to AFL in Melbourne. The Storm are there and they play to good crowds and have strong secondary focus but they aren’t the same widespread talking point around town as AFL is generally up here.

The Gold Coast region is stronger for AFL than Brisbane itself. However, there’s no denying the growth of AFL and the Lions up here. There’s a steady increase in AFL grounds around the joint and their presence is stretching further.

The AFL / Lions are significant enough in the sporting landscape here that the Lord Mayor of Brisbane on ABC Brisbane last week proclaimed the Lions were now too big an entity and with cricket demand a solution to support the games / clubs growth and expansion. He said Brisbane needed a larger oval stadium to support the games growth. Who’d have thought that would be a consideration a decade ago!
What are tv ratings from Brisbane for Lions and Broncos this year? Be interesting if someone knew.

Of course nrl never take over Melbourne same way afl will never take over Sydney.

Great Lions getting coverage as of late but it was perfect storm with Dolphins Broncos not in finals and Lions winning GF in dominant fashion. Last year when both Broncos and Lions were in GF Broncos were everywhere.

What are tv ratings from Brisbane for Lions and Broncos this year? Be interesting if someone knew.

Of course nrl never take over Melbourne same way afl will never take over Sydney.
I think the tv ratings are still average tbh. I’m more just talking about the level of focus and attention across the market. It has a stronger presence as time goes on.

Fair, not fair, who cares? Invest the money, reap the rewards. AFL are the richest sport in Australia. We could boast joint ownership of the Olympic stadium. Let’s house the Brisbane Lions and fans with the best stadium in QLD. Let’s overtake the NRL in QLD. No better opportunity then right now.
The AFL should not be investing in stadia period. Especially not one that hosts 11 games a year.

Lol this account always seems to pop up when their is some positive talk about the afl's progress up north.

You'll be upset to know the afl have been very happy with the growth in tv ratings in seq the past few years. In Brisbane the lions twilight prelim outrated the nrl final that same night, so the progress is pretty good.

Last edited:
There is always significant hype and interest in Perth for an AFL grand final regardless.
The statistics for Sandgropers flying over is quite staggering and there
is always a desire to purchase grand final ticket packages.
The AFL grand final is an Australian and world event.

I think the world event is a fair bit of a stretch.

You took time off list management to say that ?
I’m not sure what you’re referring to with list management. AFL grand final is not a world event. It’s definitely a big Australian event, with interest relatively high in NSW and QLD when there are teams from that state are competing.

Last edited:
Good post, I thought the same since watching the media there last week and this week a bit. The one thing I don't like is the use of the term 'rugby league heartland', sick of hearing it every time the afl is mentioned in the media up there 😅.

On the qld state election, they had the debate the other day. I don't get how the lib guy says he'll throw out the qsac option, but they won't be building a new stadium. What's the option then? Can he even backtrack on that when elected, as his terms of reference for his 100 day enquiry don't even include a new stadium. A new stadium at Victoria park is the only decent option, otherwise the government needs to compensate cricket and the lions. So yes a liberal victory is good, however, I've got no idea what his plan could be if he won't build a new stadium?

I'm staggered it hasn't been reported on more and that the opposition haven't gone after it in a cost of living crisis. The other stupid thing about the idea is, does it have in the contract that png won't take any more money from China in the future? Of course they will. It's a concocted way by albo to over fund his favorite sport to strengthen it's popularity, with Australian tax payer's money.
Don’t see how it will strengthen the NRL. Most of the cash is going to PNG. The NRL is still well behind the AFL financially. Reckon it will be a failure and will be shut down at the end of the contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don’t see how it will strengthen the NRL. Most of the cash is going to PNG. The NRL is still well behind the AFL financially. Reckon it will be a failure and will be shut down at the end of the contract.

Not sure if you're being serious or not?

• $60 million to every NRL club, that's 3.5 mill each, to give you an idea, afl clubs barely make a few hundred k in profits per year, some lose money and only the big few get a few mill in profits annually.
  • $600 mill to creating talent pathways in png, increasing the player talent pool to service 20 teams (considering participation is going backwards in Australia, this ensures the player numbers increase to service the competition, something all other sports have to put millions into themselves).
  • establishing a new club in a country of over 10 million people for free, the only sport that doesn't have to finance a new franchise. It increases the number of fans the sport has significantly.
  • the extra $20 mill or more in tv money for the NRL, for all the additional games provided by having a new club, with zero financial outlay.

Also the nrl have made well over $100 million in profits the last 3 years, the afl only around $60 million. They can afford to buy up hotels and assets now coz they never have to put in for new stadiums or stadium renovations or for a new franchise, coz the government are doing it all for them. They've done very well off the poor nrl, rich afl idea that you're incorrectly promulgating.

Not sure if you're being serious or not?

• $60 million to every NRL club, that's 3.5 mill each, to give you an idea, afl clubs barely make a few hundred k in profits per year, some lose money and only the big few get a few mill in profits annually.
  • $600 mill to creating talent pathways in png, increasing the player talent pool to service 20 teams (considering participation is going backwards in Australia, this ensures the player numbers increase to service the competition, something all other sports have to put millions into themselves).
  • establishing a new club in a country of over 10 million people for free, the only sport that doesn't have to finance a new franchise. It increases the number of fans the sport has significantly.
  • the extra $20 mill or more in tv money for the NRL, for all the additional games provided by having a new club, with zero financial outlay.

Also the nrl have made well over $100 million in profits the last 3 years, the afl only around $60 million. They can afford to buy up hotels and assets now coz they never have to put in for new stadiums or stadium renovations or for a new franchise, coz the government are doing it all for them. They've done very well off the poor nrl, rich afl idea that you're incorrectly promulgating.
Sure there are positives for the NRL, but there are also plenty of risks and negatives.
  • fielding a competitive team in a dangerous third world country where 90% the population doesn’t have a TV and 98% do not have internet access. Most residents are isolated with zero disposable income.
  • Wha players would want to relocate to PNG and have to live in a compound?
  • fielding a team that is totally dependent on government funding. There will always be a threat of the government pulling out which wound mean the immediate collapse of the team. There will be very little other meaningful income.
  • half of the $60m will be spent of travel, security, accomodation costs.
  • even if they can triple the number of PNG players over those 10 years, it will still only be half a team. So the extra team will dilute player depth and quality.

I am serious, it is likely to be a disaster.

Sure there are positives for the NRL, but there are also plenty of risks and negatives.
  • fielding a competitive team in a dangerous third world country where 90% the population doesn’t have a TV and 98% do not have internet access. Most residents are isolated with zero disposable income.
  • Wha players would want to relocate to PNG and have to live in a compound?
  • fielding a team that is totally dependent on government funding. There will always be a threat of the government pulling out which wound mean the immediate collapse of the team. There will be very little other meaningful income.
  • half of the $60m will be spent of travel, security, accomodation costs.
  • even if they can triple the number of PNG players over those 10 years, it will still only be half a team. So the extra team will dilute player depth and quality.

I am serious, it is likely to be a disaster.

So why would any thinking person continue down this path. ?

It’s not just that. That’s a simplistic view. I live in SEQ and I can assure you that AFL and the Lions (in particular) are certainly getting more coverage across all media platforms here. Have been for years. The media focus on the Lions has been steadily increasing for years, I think the Covid year really propelled it to a new level.

As a comparison for Vics playing along, the Lions imo get more coverage and certainly have a stronger foothold in this market than the Storm do in Melbourne. AFL is a genuine competitor and threat to the native game up here and a significant presence, NRL isn’t a genuine competitive threat to AFL in Melbourne. The Storm are there and they play to good crowds and have strong secondary focus but they aren’t the same widespread talking point around town as AFL is generally up here.

The Gold Coast region is stronger for AFL than Brisbane itself. However, there’s no denying the growth of AFL and the Lions up here. There’s a steady increase in AFL grounds around the joint and their presence is stretching further.

The AFL / Lions are significant enough in the sporting landscape here that the Lord Mayor of Brisbane on ABC Brisbane last week proclaimed the Lions were now too big an entity and with cricket demand a solution to support the games / clubs growth and expansion. He said Brisbane needed a larger oval stadium to support the games growth. Who’d have thought that would be a consideration a decade ago!
AFL was grown a lot since I was a kid where it was ALL NRL. I left QLD seven year ago from North Brisbane region and moved south for my career. Have come back in the past 12 months and it's chalk and cheese. Granted I live on the GC which is a strong hold but it's definitely grown. And grown a hell of a lot.

Even the stereotypical NRL supporter has taken an interest in 'the other sport'. I went to most GABBA games with them being nearly all sold out. I look around at the crowds and it's 50/50 split in sexes and I'd say more than half of the attendees are under the age of 30. Been to a few NRL games and it's mostly old white men.

AFL will be the equal footing with NRL in SEQ-ish region within 15 years I reckon. Rural QLD I just don't see it happening in my lifetime but I'd suspect NRL would be how Rugby was 15 years ago - warning signs everywhere of a declining league.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL overtaking NRL in QLD

Remove this Banner Ad

Back