AFL Rising Star Ceremony

Remove this Banner Ad

In my view the criteria should be;

< 23 years of age by season's end
< 4 games played at start of year
< 3 years in the system at start of year

If it's a first year only medal then i think it really limits the amount of nominations and talent and may end up being that it goes to the player who can play a full season.

Heppell's win today was more about Heppell the marketing tool than it was about Heppell the player. Since the start of the season Essendon have been telling anyone who would listen that Heppell was a more deserved candidate because he was younger. As the year wore on, they then started to suggest that he would finish "well up" in their B&F, maybe even win it. This was brought up numerous times when discussing his Rising Star chances and usually associated with the phrase "which is unheard of for a first year player". Finally, James Hird today called Heppell a "future captain" - a pretty brave call at this stage, and puts a fair amount of pressure on the kid and shows how much Essendon are relying on him to be the next "face" of their marketing campaign. We didn't need that...we already have NicNat.

Either that or the "panel of experts" were all envious of Heppell's vigorous head of hair :D Shuey on the other hand...well, he'll look even more like Judd in a few years...

From an Eagles perspective, sure it would've been nice to see Shuey win, but at the start of the year if I was given a choice of top 4 or Shuey the rising star, I'd take top 4 every time.

Joins Cousins, Kerr and Judd as Eagles to have finished top two. Not bad company. To have two of the top five and three of the top ten is a great result.

Hopefully this will spur him for a match winning performance this Saturday.

Joins Cousins, Kerr and Judd as Eagles to have finished top two. Not bad company. To have two of the top five and three of the top ten is a great result.

Hopefully this will spur him for a match winning performance this Saturday.

Coincidentally, those three players have all finished top 2 in the Brownlow as well.

Just saying. ;)

I don't see why people are getting so upset.

Ask yourself this: who would you prefer in your team?

The answer is very easy for me!

Maybe people had money on it? Shuey was paying over $6 at the start of the season and I got on that. And he clearly had a better season than Heppel.

Maybe people had money on it? Shuey was paying over $6 at the start of the season and I got on that. And he clearly had a better season than Heppel.

Haha, yes I was one of those - was paying $6.50 to be exact.

But ah well, would have been nice to pocket some cash, didn't happen, move on. I'd much rather win a premiership than a couple of bucks, and Shuey is a premiership player in the making!

I'm definitely proud of our boys, 3 in the top 10? iirc. Huge effort. IMO Shuey should have won, but they've both been great. It is essentially for first yrs though and the criteria should be changed to reflect that.

it's funny more than anything.

the fact that the age of the player shouldn't be a factor if they suit the criteria is obviously a lie.

heppell is a gun, don't get me wrong...but in terms of influence on games this year....

Shuey's 25 disposal 2 goal effort on the weekend eclipses anything Herpderpell has done all year

Heppell's 30 possession, BOG effort in the win against Geelong was pretty good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am spewing I personally think that Shuey should have won , he plays in the midfield and kicks goals and has a massive impact for us where as Heppell cruise's around half back and doesn't kick goals.
I may be biased but I don't thing I am.

I am probably biased, but I honestly think Shuey should have won. Personally, I think he influenced more results than Heppell. Was dissapointed to hear Gerard Whately on afl 360 saying how Shuey is a third year player, therefore Heppell should be considered differently as he is a first year player. Shuey fits the criteria for the award, so all players nominated should be judged in the same manner. Didn't suprise me that Glen Jackovich was the only one to award Shuey full votes.. Still, there are way more important things. Im backing the Shue for BOG this sat :)

Surprised a little...thought a Callum Ward improvement would be what you needed.

Improvement is probably not the word, more like replacement. Shuey isn't at Ward's level yet. But that is neither here nor there.

Tom Liberatore has impressed as an inside mid who can kick goals. He's also younger and has development in him.

We need more outside runners who can use the ball ala Heppell, especially now that Cooney is ****ed.

Maybe he needs to rewatch this... :)

[youtube]zy9_SjfbBUg[/youtube]

Any footballer with an ounce of talent would have cut us up that day. Who's to say Heppell wouldn't have?

Shueys 27 touches 8 tackles and 5 goals against your lot was ok..

Think youll find shuey leads heppell in the coaches votes and id say hell get him im the brownlow. If people use the "heppells in his first year" arguement then its ridiculous, change the rule.

Improvement is probably not the word, more like replacement. Shuey isn't at Ward's level yet. But that is neither here nor there.

Tom Liberatore has impressed as an inside mid who can kick goals. He's also younger and has development in him.

I see Shuey as better than Ward (bias).

agreed you have a good player in Liberatore.

Cheers for the replies. :thumbsu:

So was Shuey's 27 disposals, 8 tackles and 5 goals 3 behinds against your mob.
Surely you remember that... or maybe you chose to erase that game from your memory :)

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Rising Star Ceremony

Remove this Banner Ad

Back