MVP AFL Round 17 votes - Geelong v Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fair enough, if one was on Lonergan. However, no matter the circumstances, if a forward kicks 4 on a single player he has won the day in my book. If Taylor only gave up 3 then OK.

Cannot agree with you on this one, sometimes stats can be down-right misleading. As already pointed out Harry was not reponsible for team-mate
turn-overs. One-on-one Browny has been a thorn in our side for years, Harry's game on Saturday was one of his best & one-on-one beat Brown on most occassions & was an OUTSTANDING effort, he was one of the major reasons we nearly lead by 9 goals earlier in game, in fact the whole backline was brillant, warming to finals, bring it on.

Cannot agree with you on this one, sometimes stats can be down-right misleading. As already pointed out Harry was not reponsible for team-mate
turn-overs. One-on-one Browny has been a thorn in our side for years, Harry's game on Saturday was one of his best & one-on-one beat Brown on most occassions & was an OUTSTANDING effort, he was one of the major reasons we nearly lead by 9 goals earlier in game, in fact the whole backline was brillant, warming to finals, bring it on.

Just my opinion. If a forward, especially in this day and age where most key forwards only get maybe 7-8 real genuine opportunities to kick goals on a week to week basis, 4 goals on one player is a win. The fact Brown did it on one leg, against Geelong, in a team that got flogged is a damn good effort. Credit to Harry, in the replay I have seen he was good one-on-one, but the stats aren't really misleading, if he is going to zone off as much as he does in order to take marks he will pay the price on occassion if we are turning it over. I don't think it's an excuse, that we were turning it over, that will happen when Harry plays the way he does (trying to outread his opponent in the air, zone off and being attacking) not saying he played badly, he was great, but you didn't see other defenders getting caught out on turnovers. He will find that balance with more experience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

meto is going to have a coronary when he sees all the votes for varcoe...

Made me laugh !

Have to add that quite a few of the footy shows this weekend have praised Varcoe's performance against the Lions and his general performances this year.

He could yet be a player that gives us an edge come finals. He seems to have a little bit of magic when he is on. And we need his leg speed as well.

I think he is just about a certain starter any game he is fit for now. Probably ahead of Wojo, Byrnes and Stokes - but it will be an interesting selection meeting if all are fit and the team has no injuries to speak of.

Credit to Harry, in the replay I have seen he was good one-on-one, but the stats aren't really misleading, if he is going to zone off as much as he does in order to take marks he will pay the price on occassion if we are turning it over. I don't think it's an excuse, that we were turning it over, that will happen when Harry plays the way he does (trying to outread his opponent in the air, zone off and being attacking) not saying he played badly, he was great, but you didn't see other defenders getting caught out on turnovers. He will find that balance with more experience.

Could you see Harry running off and creating play while Brown was behind him getting to his feet and slinking back towards goal on the replay? Nah, didn't think so.

As for it not happening to other defenders, here's a question for you. If you were a Brisbane midfielder, and saw Brown, Banfield and Buchanan all clear in the forward line after a turnover, which player would you pass it to?

Could you see Harry running off and creating play while Brown was behind him getting to his feet and slinking back towards goal on the replay? Nah, didn't think so.

As for it not happening to other defenders, here's a question for you. If you were a Brisbane midfielder, and saw Brown, Banfield and Buchanan all clear in the forward line after a turnover, which player would you pass it to?

If I was a Brisbane midfielder I probably aim for Brown and hit Monica lace out!:D

Just my opinion. If a forward, especially in this day and age where most key forwards only get maybe 7-8 real genuine opportunities to kick goals on a week to week basis, 4 goals on one player is a win. The fact Brown did it on one leg, against Geelong, in a team that got flogged is a damn good effort. Credit to Harry, in the replay I have seen he was good one-on-one, but the stats aren't really misleading, if he is going to zone off as much as he does in order to take marks he will pay the price on occassion if we are turning it over. I don't think it's an excuse, that we were turning it over, that will happen when Harry plays the way he does (trying to outread his opponent in the air, zone off and being attacking) not saying he played badly, he was great, but you didn't see other defenders getting caught out on turnovers. He will find that balance with more experience.

^^^
My point exactly winty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back