Preview AFL Round 21 - West Coast v Geelong, Subiaco, 5:40PM local (7:40PM AET) Saturday 17 August

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
reckon he's a little harshly judged, only his 5th competitive match and 1st senior game since returning from a knee injury.
Like Poodle and Varcoe, he will take a few weeks to build on his form and gain match fitness at the top level.

Reckon he'll be given a good month to prove his worth for the team before the finals begin.

Have to be honest, I don't see West or Brown or plenty of others get any leeway whatsoever, so I don't see why Rivers should. He's played over 150 games, is a seasoned player, he should be ready to go when he hits the seniors.

On Smedts: I've seen him a few times in the VFL and he seems to try too hard to show that he's a class above. Tries to break three tackles and weave through traffic when sometimes the best option is the handball off to a player in better position. I can understand why he does it but someone needs to have a word to him and tell him to just focus on the basics.

Little bit of the SJ's about him. I've noticed that as well. As an underaged player he was exceptional with his lateral movement and agility which allowed him to get past an opposing player or two. He is trying to do the same thing at AFL level and as you say it's not always the best option. He needs to know his limitations.

CS did say on the Sunday FS that they were trying to play Varcoe into form, but he will be dropped if his form doesn't improve. So I took heart in that. This week Trav will need to bring it.

Cats can win this game of that I have no doubt. But it will be a good test for them.

Yeah right. Had 4 touches against Adelaide, was subbed out in a loss and still kept his spot. I'll believe he gets dropped when I see it.

I'm starting to believe Scott about as much as I believe Balme with injuries.

Stokes needs to go. Clearly not in the best 22 and has been poor for two months now. Motlop has left him behind and the side does not need under-performing 'like-types' now that Christensen is back. Stokes stats have been ordinary and he relies too much on others getting the football for him. Two contested possessions on the weekend is an example of this. He lacks poise, his disposal efficiency is terrible and he does not know where to run. He can't hit the scoreboard either. It is surely only a matter of time before they run out of patience with him and he must be left out if they are to be successful in finals.

So Bartel out, Hawkins out, Blitz out, Varcoe out, Stokes out, some have West out, Mackie out, Rivers shouldn't be in, Lonergan out

are we second bottom or second top?

Stokes needs to go. Clearly not in the best 22 and has been poor for two months now. Motlop has left him behind and the side does not need under-performing 'like-types' now that Christensen is back. Stokes stats have been ordinary and he relies too much on others getting the football for him. Two contested possessions on the weekend is an example of this. He lacks poise, his disposal efficiency is terrible and he does not know where to run. He can't hit the scoreboard either. It is surely only a matter of time before they run out of patience with him and he must be left out if they are to be successful in finals.
Stokes is quite clearly having the best season of his career. The chances of him getting dropped are close to zero.

So Bartel out, Hawkins out, Blitz out, Varcoe out, Stokes out, some have West out, Mackie out, Rivers shouldn't be in, Lonergan out

Well for starters Bartel won't get dropped, and Blicavs and West are already out.

We will not be second top if we lose one more game though. That's why there's no margin for error anymore.

Well for starters Bartel won't get dropped, and Blicavs and West are already out.

We will not be second top if we lose one more game though. That's why there's no margin for error anymore.

not correct. We lose to sydney, sydney lose to hawks. Status quo

You have clearly forgotten about freo sweating on us to drop a game. They will NOT lose another for the year.

FFS , why don't we give it away now? Talk about doom & gloom ....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not doom and gloom, it's a sober and mature appraisal.

We absolutely can beat West Coast, and Sydney, and Brisbane. That would deservedly see us finish no lower than 2nd. And you never know, Collingwood and Sydney might do us a huge favour too. That means a home Qualifying Final, and after that it is truly in our own hands.

But, we can also lose this week, and we can lose to Sydney, and we have lost to Brisbane this year. So we can't presume any of the next three games are anything but very tough encounters. And Fremantle will almost certainly win all their remaining games. So we simply need to play very good football for three weeks in a row.

It's not doom and gloom, it's reality.

Stokes is quite clearly having the best season of his career. The chances of him getting dropped are close to zero.

So just because a C grade footballer is having his best year that equates to him being safe does it ? Maybe he needs to be measured on what he can offer the current team rather than how his form stacks up in comparison to his underwhelming past.

So just because a C grade footballer is having his best year that equates to him being safe does it ? Maybe he needs to be measured on what he can offer the current team rather than how his form stacks up in comparison to his underwhelming past.

Welcome to BF evil twin of meto.

Why would you include Varcoe amongst that feeble lot, ...we couldn't do without him!
Don't worry I'll e-mail Chris to keep him in right now!:p

Have another guess. Maybe I'm just an experienced, knowledgeable football judge who is not blinded by a love of a football club and can see things from a neutral perspective as well. I'm tipping Stokes has two weeks to 'get it right' or he will be watching the game from the stands like you and Partridge.

Where did I once say it is all doom and gloom? I simply pointed out that we can't drop a game as Fremantle are near certainties to win their remaining 3 games meaning they will finish on top of us and likely force us to play a Qualifying final in Perth. You were the one saying that if Sydney lose to Hawks its back to status quo which is in fact INCORRECT.

Have another guess. Maybe I'm just an experienced, knowledgeable football judge who is not blinded by a love of a football club and can see things from a neutral perspective as well. I'm tipping Stokes has two weeks to 'get it right' or he will be watching the game from the stands like you and Partridge.
ha ha ha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back