Preview AFL Round 3 - Geelong v Carlton, Etihad Stadium, 7:40PM Saturday 13 April

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
..Walker's about 190/191cm.. ..not exactly what i'd consider small, and his high marking ability make him play even taller.. ..also, for a young kid like Brown, how would he match up vs Walker's huge running capacity [endurance, bursts and pace]..?..

..i don't think you need 3 talls down back, we'll more than likely just have 2 talls up fwd, with Walker most likely playing up fwd as well to give some extra leap.. ..provided you put in enough hard work thru the middle [not an issue for you guys], i think you can restrict number and quality of I50's.. ..do that, and you've got the game won..

..we've also so far this season been a bit down on tackles, and number of rotations.. ..i think we're a chance to beat you, but it's more chance and hope than sure confidence..
Enright would be the logical match up for walker IMO

Enright would be the logical match up for walker IMO

Disagree. At the moment, with (presumably) Lonergan, Taylor, Mackie, Brown, Enright and (other) in the backline, he's our only proven small forward stopper back there. Poodle has been ok in that role in the past, but I'd rather he stayed in the midfield if at all possible. So, Enright needs to go to Garlett, or Yarran (if Yarran starts forward). Mackie, Brown, or even Taylor would all be reasonable match-ups for Walker.

Unless we do something about our clearances whoever we put back there will be under pressure. That’s the first matter to be addressed.

Quote from the Addy today:

Hunt should remain in the back half. Very good match-up for Yarran in my view.
I'm putting Yarran in my dream team and making him captain then.

GEELONG
In:Steve Johnson, Jordan Murdoch
Out: James Kelly (calf), Mitch Brown

CARLTON
In:Aaron Joseph, Shaun Hampson, Dylan Buckley, Heath Scotland
Out: Jeremy Laidler, Levi Casboult, Tom Bell, Josh Bootsma

GEELONG
In:Steve Johnson, Jordan Murdoch
Out: James Kelly (calf), Mitch Brown

CARLTON
In:Aaron Joseph, Shaun Hampson, Dylan Buckley, Heath Scotland
Out: Jeremy Laidler, Levi Casboult, Tom Bell, Josh Bootsma

First GHS, now Brown.
Definitely a ruthless streak in the MC - which is good as far as winning games goes, but can be tough on young players.

On the other hand, Murder back in. Hope he can turn his form around this weekend.

Do it now SJ :thumbsu:

This game will be a real test for us....these 6 day breaks will build against us without rotations. I suspect the MC were well prepared for this however.

The question is will the Blues have the forward power to kick a winning score against our back line? No Betts and no Waite (and perhaps no Hampson either ) makes the task difficult for them. In the past, their pace advantage was always a worry, but that advantage is gone now IMO and may even lie with Geelong. Murdoch will play!

I think we can cut them up if we are "on". Even more so if SJ plays!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OOps....the teams are in as I write and Kelly is out.... **groan** ..... but SJ in :) I figured Murdoch would play but I thought GH-S would get a run....even more surprised he isn't picked given Kelly is out....Brown was surplus to requirements against Carlton so wasn't surprised to see him out.

Two changes...one forced. Thought there would be more than that.

First GHS, now Brown.
Definitely a ruthless streak in the MC - which is good as far as winning games goes, but can be tough on young players.

On the other hand, Murder back in. Hope he can turn his form around this weekend.

They're not ruthless when it comes to Murdoch. His last 3 senior games have garnered 11, 2, and 8 possessions. He's strolling back into senior selection.

Anyone who says it's all equal footing and young guys aren't gifted games is kidding themselves.

Be very interesting to see how we go at the clearances this week.

Very disappointing outcome for Mitch. Particularly as he’s not even named on the extended interchange bench.

The coach suggested last year that Mitch would play some very good football for us in the VFL. Thought it was related to allowing him to time to get to full fitness and regain his confidence. Perhaps there was more to it than that.

Kelly's a huge loss and more than cancels out SJ's return.

Brown probably suffers for a lack of match-ups as I can see either of Blicavs/West dropping back there if needed.

Murdoch I suspect will be given a job down back, freeing up poodle to go onto Murphy or Judd if needed.

Danger game. 3-0 would be massive.

Kelly's a huge loss and more than cancels out SJ's return.

Brown probably suffers for a lack of match-ups as I can see either of Blicavs/West dropping back there if needed.

Murdoch I suspect will be given a job down back, freeing up poodle to go onto Murphy or Judd if needed.

Danger game. 3-0 would be massive.
4Q effort from Bartel is critical this week, along with the other 20, but specially Jimmy .

Very disappointing outcome for Mitch. Particularly as he’s not even named on the extended interchange bench.

The coach suggested last year that Mitch would play some very good football for us in the VFL. Thought it was related to allowing him to time to get to full fitness and regain his confidence. Perhaps there was more to it than that.

Where is the extended bench listed? Haven't found it anywhere yet.

They're not ruthless when it comes to Murdoch. His last 3 senior games have garnered 11, 2, and 8 possessions. He's strolling back into senior selection.

Anyone who says it's all equal footing and young guys aren't gifted games is kidding themselves.

Be very interesting to see how we go at the clearances this week.
Me as well. They moved Lappin to development and brought O'Bree in to fix that long standing problem. That's worked well so far.

what was the context of that bit of depressing comment?

First we had meto with TV.....now we have Partridge with Murdoch. :D

I have no problem " gifting" games to players like Murdoch.....he will pay it back in spades. He is obviously doing it on the track, and was excellent during the pre-season. There are many players who are "gifted" games early in their career...even players like Matthew Scarlett...I dont see the issue pumping games into Murdoch.

He is obviously going to be a very good player.

Me as well. They moved Lappin to development and brought O'Bree in to fix that long standing problem. That's worked well so far.
if you don't have socks, you can't pull them up- we don't have the personnel, quite evidently over the past 2 years, it would seem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back