Preview AFL Round 3 - Geelong v Carlton, Etihad Stadium, 7:40PM Saturday 13 April

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
· Interchange
· 28 Allen Christensen
· 21 Jordan Murdoch
· 2 Billie Smedts
· 23 Josh Caddy
· Emergencies
· 40 Jackson Thurlow
· 41 Jesse Stringer
· 33 George Horlin-Smith
Brown has been well and truly dumped, as you said.
Does he get a chance to get back in this year I wonder.

if you don't have socks, you can't pull them up- we don't have the personnel, quite evidently over the past 2 years, it would seem.
Don't accept that VD. With the talent we have we shouldn't be getting smashed each week. We showed for a 15 min period in the third quarter last week we had the capability to be competitive in that crucial area.

Strange decision on Murdoch unless they plan to revert back to using him as a defender.

We've lost a defender in Brown and a midfielder in Kelly.

Yet brought in Murdoch who has played forward all pre season and a mid/fwd in Johnson, who has missed footy, so you would expect he would spend more time forward in his first few back than in the guts.

B: Taylor Hunt – Tom Lonergan – Corey Enright
HB: Joel Corey – Andrew Mackie – Harry Taylor
C: Mitch Duncan – Jimmy Bartel – Paul Chapman
HF: Mathew Stokes – James Podsiadly – Steven Motlop
F: Trent West – Tom Hawkins – Travis Varcoe
Foll: Mark Blicavs – Joel Selwood – Steve Johnson
Int: Allen Christensen, Billie Smedts, Josh Caddy, Jordan Murdoch
Emerg: George Horlin-Smith, Jesse Stringer, Jackson Thurlow

Great to see Taylor at least named in the back half hey picky.:)

First we had meto with TV.....now we have Partridge with Murdoch. :D

I have no problem " gifting" games to players like Murdoch.....he will pay it back in spades. He is obviously doing it on the track, and was excellent during the pre-season. There are many players who are "gifted" games early in their career...even players like Matthew Scarlett...I dont see the issue pumping games into Murdoch.

He is obviously going to be a very good player.
Me too like Motlop these sort of players ooze class and should be given preferential consideration to fast track their development.

Think it all comes down to match-ups, pure and simple. His form is ok and sure he will be back.

GHS or Stringer for a late change.

Chapman a chance for the red vest.

Clearly MC want games into Murdoch, Smedts and Caddy. Fine by me. They "know" what the real potential is for our kids and are naming accordingly.
That is an incredibly quick looking team on paper!
As fast a team from the Cats as I can recall. Plus still a lot of brute force and height.
CS is building a formidable outfit.

B: Taylor Hunt – Tom Lonergan – Corey Enright
HB: Joel Corey – Andrew Mackie – Harry Taylor
C: Mitch Duncan – Jimmy Bartel – Paul Chapman
HF: Mathew Stokes – James Podsiadly – Steven Motlop
F: Trent West – Tom Hawkins – Travis Varcoe
Foll: Mark Blicavs – Joel Selwood – Steve Johnson
Int: Allen Christensen, Billie Smedts, Josh Caddy, Jordan Murdoch
Emerg: George Horlin-Smith, Jesse Stringer, Jackson Thurlow

Great to see Taylor at least named in the back half hey picky.:)
He got torched down there last week but played better the further he came up the ground,will be given the job to try and shut down a midfielder I hope.
If you get a chance have a look at his first quarter down there against North he was all at sea.

Strange decision on Murdoch unless they plan to revert back to using him as a defender.

We've lost a defender in Brown X and a midfielder in Kelly.:thumbsu:

Yet brought in Murdoch who has played forward all pre season and a mid/fwd in Johnson, who has missed footy, so you would expect he would spend more time forward in his first few back than in the guts.
One out of two is all I can give you for that:D

They're not ruthless when it comes to Murdoch. His last 3 senior games have garnered 11, 2, and 8 possessions. He's strolling back into senior selection.

Anyone who says it's all equal footing and young guys aren't gifted games is kidding themselves.

Be very interesting to see how we go at the clearances this week.
I still say we have developed a new area called the running group.
He will be needed for rotations through that area if that is the case.

I like it. We just got a touch faster too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He got torched down there last week but played better the further he came up the ground,will be given the job to try and shut down a midfielder I hope.
If you get a chance have a look at his first quarter down there against North he was all at sea.
I think he meant Harry, referring to him being named in the forward pocket recently.

What a crazy comment.
If anything it shows how much they dont need another tall. At all.

I think you're right about not needing him, but your comment seems unreasonably harsh on the earlier post.
Veedubs knows me well. And would have no problem with my tone. He knows it's not personal.

Some here are jumping at shadows. (Not VD)
We're still winning. And we're trying to develop kids.
It's early days.
Not all draftees make it. I think Brown will.
But 40 into 22 doesn't work.

Bartel NEEDS to step up this week and reassert himself as an elite midfielder. There's a part of me that wonders whether since Chris Scott started using him as a utility, Jimmy has forgotten what is required from a midfielder stationed in the center for the entire match. He's obviously still a fantastic contributor, and there's no one better when the heat is on deep in the last, but it's been a long time since we got four consecutive high quality quarters out of Jimmy Bartel.

What's interesting is his contested ball numbers have only fallen away marginally since his days as a permanent mid. In terms of uncontested possessions however, there's a significant different between what he was accumulating during the 2007-2010 period, and 2011-onwards (in 2009 he gathered 202 CP/446 UP; in 2012 it was 196 CP/235 UP). There are many variables that could have affected that stat of course - the change in Geelong's style under Scott, a broader competition-wide trend of more congested footy over the last few years, etc - but nonetheless the discrepancy is curious.

http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/J/Jimmy_Bartel.html

Murdoch and Smedts are undoubtedly treated very kindly at the selection table. I don't mind that because they are both talents, but Horlin-Smith must be baffled. He was the obvious change for Kelly. Kelly is a massive loss.
Horlin blue collar and in the mix but no way an obvious change for Kelly,all available wouldn't be in the top 30 IMHO.

of course he does man, he has only been omitted for tactical reasons and not due to form.
Carlton will throw Walker, Yarran and Judd forward for long durations in this game and we can't afford to have 4 talls as we won't be nimble enough so Brown was likely to miss, I think even if Rivers was fit then he'd get a rest.

Even though it's highly unlikely, if Brown was dropped because he's out of favor then he must have done something wrong during the week because you don't star in the VFL only to get a call up and do a reasonable job and then get dropped once again.
It sends a very poor message to the younger guys trying to get a game, as it means...you dominate in the VFL, you won't exactly be assured of getting a fair go at senior level.

Horlin blue collar and in the mix but no way an obvious change for Kelly,all available wouldn't be in the top 30 IMHO.

He was our best clearance player in pre-season, we have lost our best clearance player this week and we have already been smashed all year in that area.

I think the treatment of Horlin-Smith this year has been really strange. He should be playing. I am not his biggest fan but our failing in that area of the game is so plain to see why aren't we trying him?

He was our best clearance player in pre-season, we have lost our best clearance player this week and we have already been smashed all year in that area.

I think the treatment of Horlin-Smith this year has been really strange. He should be playing. I am not his biggest fan but our failing in that area of the game is so plain to see why aren't we trying him?
As some one said earlier 40 into 22 dont go.

why aren't we trying him?

reckon Bundy, Duncan and Caddy are doing better than expected so he has not been needed just yet.

Carlton's midfield is extremely fast though, Murphy, Simpson, Joseph (maybe as the sub this game?) even Robinson is fairly quick so adding a slower mid in Hyphen alongside Kelly & Corey could swing the pendulum in Carlton's favor ever so slightly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back