Preview AFL Round 3 - Geelong v Carlton, Etihad Stadium, 7:40PM Saturday 13 April

Predict the result

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really dont know what to select here.
I'm worried about our legs more than anything. 4 games in 7 rounds at Etihad is interesting.

Stokes performance as sub confirms what I have thought for a while, the sub should be an experienced player ensconced in best 21. The youngsters feel the pressure to have an impact and rarely do.

It is interesting conundrum because the best two performances we have had from subs have been from Christensen (against Sydney) and Stokes yesterday. On both occasions we left ourselves far behind, partly by not having them out from the start. Their contribution helped overhaul big leads, successfully on one occasion, and not on the other.

Still using an experienced sub also gives more game time to the younger player and rests older players legs.

Chapman (would need to be carefully warmed up), Corey, Johnson, Varcoe, Josh Hunt, could all have an impact as subs, like we saw from Stokes yesterday.

Stokesy's effort and CS thinking combined with our depth may have altered the use of the sub.

Instead of it purely being a fresh player, it has become the 3rd qtr attacking player. It allows a younger player to get a full game ( who has earnt it) and most of them thus far have had some influence on the contest. Then you have a vet player come on fresh who hopefully doesnt need too much time to adjust to the game speed.... Could be an interesting angle.

GO Catters

Stokesy's effort and CS thinking combined with our depth may have altered the use of the sub.

Instead of it purely being a fresh player, it has become the 3rd qtr attacking player. It allows a younger player to get a full game ( who has earnt it) and most of them thus far have had some influence on the contest. Then you have a vet player come on fresh who hopefully doesnt need too much time to adjust to the game speed.... Could be an interesting angle.

GO Catters

CS said Stokes was in our best 21 but was used for tactical reasons, and that future subs would probably also come from our best 21.

CS said Stokes was in our best 21 but was used for tactical reasons, and that future subs would probably also come from our best 21.

perhaps better explanation.... the younger player is in the 21 and earns his spot there.... while a TV, Stokes, Smithy, Chappy even (dont shoot me just examples people calm down) gets the vest but then has to come on hammer down for a full 35 minutes....

Instead of the GHS cycle as example, GHS plays the full game with Chappy coming on with 35 mins left. GHS gets the full run, Chappy is managed and still gets to run it out hard. Reckon seeing Chappy drop the vest on the bench and burst on with 12 mins to go until 3/4 time wold make any mids and defenders pretty tense if he went to them....

Go Catters

Dont really want to see varcoe playing on garlett or yarran he started on thomas i think that went well the little turd kicked a bag.Cam guthie would be a good in, Enright etc have the footy smarts to beat these guys but they have pace to burn getting off to a better start is key here danger game here danger danger.

Dont really want to see varcoe playing on garlett or yarran he started on thomas i think that went well the little turd kicked a bag.Cam guthie would be a good in, Enright etc have the footy smarts to beat these guys but they have pace to burn getting off to a better start is key here danger game here danger danger.
Varcoe didnt start on anyone. He may have been standing near Thomas at the bounce but he didn't play on him.
He was a spare man. We started with a 5 man forward line.

Betts won't play
Waite won't play

2 that normally give us headaches.

Smedts to Yarran
Enright to Walker

Midfield match-ups will be interesting

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm worried about this one, I'm actually expecting a loss.
Not saying I dont HOPE we win and I'm not jumping off or anything before some of you less forgiving drive the knife in I just think the blues will be hurting and we have came off 2 HARD games and 6 day breaks. Logic suggests (and I know it rarely does with the Cats) we cant back it up.

Guess for changes:
In: SJ, Rivers and maybe GHS.
Out: Likely Brown (unlucky though), Smedts (rest) and Mackie (sore/rest).

Cooler head now and with the power of foresight I will retract this statement, I actually expect us to give em a bit of a smack early, I picked the 25 - 48 margin.
No Betts and Waite are huge outs for us.

Our lack of a small defender continues to haunt us Josh Hunt used to get towelled up by Milne etc

Perhaps Eardley however it's a big game for a debut

Im sort of on the side that I am worried about this one too.
But then I think as well that the Malthouse game plan didnt work against us in 2011 when he had a side that was far superior to the current Blues outfit so I would doubt it will in this instance - especially when the players are still trying to come to terms with how to successfully implement the game plan.

That eases my mind a little.

Our lack of a small defender continues to haunt us Josh Hunt used to get towelled up by Milne etc

Perhaps Eardley however it's a big game for a debut
And he'd need to elevated...which he isn't (as far as I know).

If we decide to play a spare defender this week, I hope we put Bartel there and have Corey in the guts from the get-go. Wouldn't mind Corey or Duncan running with Judd just quietly, and have T.Hunt keep Murphy company for the evening too.

Our first loss will either be this week against Carlton or round 8 vs Collingwood

Can't see North losing to them next week though, if anyone has been watching Sydney so far...they are in pretty bad form and fortunate to have played the two worst teams.
If North play as they did against us, should really be a 2-3 goal win imo.
North won't play two quarters like that again for the year,they will revert to their usual selves this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back