Game Day AFL Round 5 - Matchday Discussion Essendon@Collingwood(MCG – 3:20PM)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
While people naturally focus a lot of attention on Daniher I feel that Stewart is an improved player because he's finally started to fill out his skinny frame so the player we come up against today isn't the one of previous seasons and we need to be wary.

Reminds me a lot of Josh Jenkins... Big frame, OK hands, not much in the way of footy smarts. Will kick a bag if the delivery is sharp or he gets out the back, otherwise will fade away.

Been saving them up for today. 6 big ones on ANZAC Day to have an American win the medal

I'd like a Sav Rocca like AD contribution but would be satisfied with 6.

I have so much nervous energy at the moment. Can't wait for the game to start. What a huge day for our club.

We know we have what it takes to win. But is the 12 day break too long? We can't afford a slow start today. We all know Collingwood is more than capable of coming out after a big win and looking atrocious. I'm really hoping we've turned the corner and can get the win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's one of those games personally I don't get nervous for. Today means more than footy. Just happy.

Still hope we smash those drug cheats and send their supporters home at half time but ya know..

Alright my beloved Pies, this is your chance to make a statement and announce to the competition we're now a finals contender. Win and play well today and back it up on Sunday with a well played game (win, lose or draw) then and only then will I have belief that consistency is within reach.

I am optimistic this can happen.

It looks like a dry game this afternoon, remember the weather was on our side last week in that it allowed us to create stoppages so we could stop and reset. We'll need to create more stoppages today to nullify their run yet at the same time we'll need to be clean in and around the phone box and create transition footy as we did last week. We may need to play the boundaries to achieve this, I think we have their midfield covered but we'll have to be manic like last week all over the ground - that is outnumber at the footy then be clean in transition.

The big fella in Cox has a chance to pluck a couple and hopefully convert depending on delivery I50. Even if we get a chaos up and under if he can bring it to ground that gives our forwards and rotating mid crumbers a chance to swoop.

Swarm and spread, pressure the opposition - win it then outrun to link up on the outside. We can't afford to get into a shoot out with this mob they have too much leg speed and will cut us up.

Pressure, create stoppages around the boundary be clean with hands inside and link up to outside runners.

Pies by 10

Tough match to predict for tipsters.

We've played some great footy so far this year, barring round 1 against the Hawks so hopefully it's a sign that things are turning for the better but it's early days whether we can sustain what we've produced especially in the last two weeks.

I'm surprised the Bombers are slight underdogs. They recorded a strong win against Port last week, and I worry that Worsfold's decision to finally move Stringer forward and play Hooker in defence may start to click them into gear, although they are an inconsistent team.

Our midfield bats a lot deeper than Essendon's, so that's where the game will be won. If Sidebottom and Grundy can dominate again, Essendon will struggle. Essendon's key position players are the key for them and with three forwards in Daniher, Stewart and Stringer, I worry our defence will struggle against them but we'll find out soon enough.

Essendon love playing on the outside, whereas we prefer playing a high contested ball and high stoppage game. It's important we get the game on our terms early and don't let Essendon get ahead of the game like they did last year.

Our club always performs well on ANZAC Day more often than not and I think they will be determined to back themselves up after two strong performances.

This is a genuine 50/50. Massive match for us with Richmond to come on Sunday.

Hopefully we don't play that ridiculous tackling pressure vlakia we did agst GWS.. and we saw last night with Melbourne.

Play the game with style and pazaz re..

Nah re. we're a grunt team and we need to play the stoppage game, if we try and pazaz we'll need to go 100% DE otherwise we'll turn it over and they have too much leg speed and they'll cut us to shreds.

We have to bring the pressure and win the footy on our terms............... try an play pretty and we'll lose re.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back