Preview AFL Round 6 Sydney Swans V Brisbane Lions Official Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I rekon dropping Rich back to the 2's will do him alot of good! IMHO he feels very comfortable and thinks he is going to get in the side every week. I rekon drop him back to the 2's bring him back down to earth and the young fella will realise that he is only a second year player and is not certain to get a game for his whole career unless he starts playing good footy again. Than we as fans will reap the rewards as we get to watch him back at his awsome best again:D Anyone agree?

Nope.

He's learning to shake a tag. He started to find space to unload with his left last weekend, keep him in.

Is there a pub nearby Lions supporters go to for a drink before the game? Haven't been to an SCG game for a few years..

We usually head to the Clock Hotel, but it's not exactly an organized Lions supporters hotel. It's just convenient with good food for dinner beforehand. :thumbsu:

I think this is a big game for us because we got Fremantle and Geelong coming up. Mark my words if we beat Sydney this week, we will beat freo and the cats at home ;)

Great to see all the old faces from the Craig Bolton Love or Hate thread back on our board.

Go Lions!

It would appear that he won't be taking the field this week (which of course would have resulted in the dacking of one Mr. Brown), however perhaps this 'injury' is just a guise so that he can kick your sick cats (previously reported as his favourite passtime) whilst you're all preoccupied.

What a sick man. I love him.

* If this doesn't make sense to you please see the above mentioned thread.

It would appear that he won't be taking the field this week (which of course would have resulted in the dacking of one Mr. Brown), however perhaps this 'injury' is just a guise so that he can kick your sick cats (previously reported as his favourite passtime) whilst you're all preoccupied.

What a sick man. I love him.

* If this doesn't make sense to you please see the above mentioned thread.

I hear he was involved in gang activity ;) :footy:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I rekon dropping Rich back to the 2's will do him alot of good! IMHO he feels very comfortable and thinks he is going to get in the side every week. I rekon drop him back to the 2's bring him back down to earth and the young fella will realise that he is only a second year player and is not certain to get a game for his whole career unless he starts playing good footy again. Than we as fans will reap the rewards as we get to watch him back at his awsome best again:D Anyone agree?

P.S. I didn't really think this week just if he continues to play like this for lets say the next 4 rounds. However I do honestly think a break out game is on the cards:thumbsu::)
Nah, 2nd year syndrome.

He''ll improve Lionshine:thumbsu:

Maguire will take one, perhaps whoever plays closer to CHB so White? Not sure whether Staker will go back but is another option.

Patful likely to go on Goodes when he floats forward and may just follow him wherever he goes.

In short, Braddie is the man we may have trouble matching up on. I doubt they will bring in a tall like Cornelius so they may just back a medium size such as Drummond or Hawksley on him. While Braddie is not super-tall, his strength is what will kill you, so none of these matchups are ideal.

Maguire would be an ideal match up to Bradshaw, White would kill him for pace.

:eek:Hawksley on Bradshaw....I would expect Bradshaw to get at least 10 goals.

Maguire - Bradshaw
Clark - White
Patfull - Goodes

Don't agree at all. He would dominate in the reserves and he isn't going to learn anything. If you read the interviews with him he doesn't actually think his place is guaranteed in the side and knows he has to work hard for his spot. Watching him live you can see he hardly ever is by himself on the field and with Brennan and Rischitelli playing an inside game there is far less opportunity for him to replicate last year.

If it were me the ins and outs for this week would be:

Ins: Sherman, Power, Adcock, Sherman, Hanley
Outs: Merrett, Proud, Staker, Hawksley, Rockliff

Rockliff is the most difficult out for me. He played two good games and was stuck in the forward pocket most of last week with the ball not getting down there. I would like to see us keep him and give him a run back on the wing again and if it was decided that 4 changes was enough then he would keep his spot. I am rewarding Hanley for his good AFLQ form which I think should be rewarded and his pace would be handy against a Sydney team that is now much more slippery than it has been in the past.

Staker has been a whole lot of meh so far. He takes a few marks, works up onto the wing a bit but really he is not doing what he is in the side to do. That is to be a third option up forward that teams have to worry about. He is not scoring goals and really has not looked like scoring goals. He is not winning the ball in clearances on the wing or up forward. Personally I would go back to Polks playing the role he did last year and try and develop the younger player. I would like to see Polks crumb more but his lead up work is better than Stakers as is his clearance work.

If Jed is fully fit he comes back in for Hawksley who has been solid defensively but has not been giving any significant run and has had his fair share of brain fades. I might consider keeping Hawks in the side if we go with Patfull at CHB on the likes of White. Hawks might be a reasonable match up for Goodes. He has a bit more height is better overhead than Jed and Ash.

This is Voss' chance to legitimately play Leuey and Clark on the park at the same time. I expect Clark to go back and play a bit lose on White who has not really been much of a threat so far this year. I would have him match up on him but try and use his ball reading ability to drop off when he thinks it appropriate. Maguire to go to Bradshaw, Patfull to Goodes. Brennan to move into the backline when Clark rucks.

At the other end it is going to be important to jump all over the ball coming out of the Sydney defense. I would move Brown to FF more and get the LRT match up and move Fev a bit more up the field and force Grundy to play close. Fev is a better chaser defensively and stopping Grundy should be a focus for him. Banfield is going to be a busy boy and will be trying to shut down Malceski and Kennelly as much as he can. Forward pressure will be a key for us this week. If we don't have it the Sydney backs including those mentioned and Mattner will pick us apart.

O'Keefe has been a little hot and cold and not terribly damaging in the two games prior to last week in particular. I would tell Rischa to match up on him and work him both ways. Not really a hard tag but pay close attention.

Personally I would go back to Polks playing the role he did last year and try and develop the younger player. I would like to see Polks crumb more but his lead up work is better than Stakers as is his clearance work.

I could not agree with the above more. Polks has shown himself to be a ripping overhead mark, great lead and a reliable set shot. While everyone was screaming for him to get a run in the midfield, I can't see the logic in not developing a natural to play a position they are so well suited to.

Staker puts himself into good position. He makes a contest. These things are good. But I argue that Polks would have provided just as many leads, would've held onto more marks and would have kicked a number of the set shots Staker missed. Perhaps I am blinded by my bias towards the kid, but I think he really is a better option.

The thing that worries me is that I don't really want to see Staker down back. If he's not down back, where does he play?

Hey Ash, will Daniel Merrett and Jonathan Brown be right to play this week against Sydney? Aaron from Broadbeach (QLD)

I’m pretty sure that big Dan Merrett won’t play this week. He hurt his
hammy against Melbourne and might miss a week or two. It will be a big
loss because the Swans have a few big guys up forward.

As for... Browny - as far as I know he’s right to go and will play against
Sydney. There’s been a lot of talk about the big fella struggling with
an injury at the moment, but he seems no different than usual to me.

Hey Ash, how far away are Jed Adcock and Amon Buchanan from
playing in the seniors? Alex from SA

Jed and Amon are pretty close this week and might be considered for the
Swans game. I think they’ll have to pass fitness tests first though.

:footy:

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview AFL Round 6 Sydney Swans V Brisbane Lions Official Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back