AFL Rules in Sydney Football Crowds

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't wait until Friday Night AFL games are live on free-to-air in Queensland next year. Even though I follow both sports and support the Broncos in NRL (who usually play on Friday Nights) it would be nice to have a choice on what I want to watch on Friday Nights if the Broncos are not playing. Even if the Broncos are playing it would also be nice to be able to change channels as soon as the Broncos game is over. (I never watch the second Friday Night NRL game, 11.30pm is too late and the delayed NRL game is always full of ads which kills off the excitement, plus the Broncos game is never the second game on TV here in Brisbane).

It was the second bolded item on the list
not the second bolded chronologically .
Vagaries of the English language !

What you actually said was: "And congratulations to Go GWS as you are the person in a long while to add to the list (note bolded)."

And I did NOT say all of the things that were bolded.

Again: you have misquoted me. A bit of common courtesy would result in an apology or retraction. Instead you somehow try to justify yourself with the "Vagaries of the English language" as an excuse. There was nothing vague about "(note bolded)".

I did NOT say all of the things that were bolded.

I apologise if this is boring some people but .
I never said you did .
I made reference to the double accounting of double headers as per gtiger
AND your membership quote following the double header reference .

I'm still interested in your reference to already having had a big game or similar .

I apologise if this is boring some people but .
I never said you did .
I made reference to the double accounting of double headers as per gtiger
AND your membership quote following the double header reference .

Notwithstanding your "I never said you did" I have quoted just above where you attributed bolded comments to me.

You can say it ain't so. But it is there in black and white.

the best bit that game was that they even mentioned it on the continous(sp?) call teams radio broadcast

blokes carrying on" deadset where is everyone they'll be lucky to get 10,000"
yeap thats right a radio team dedicated to league that goes for 6hrs is number one radio show over weekends nationally

were shocked at the horrible lack of crowd and made no excuses

then mentioned in passing that next door was "packed" and mentioned twice in the broadcast that "gee its loud next door"

AFL kick off time: 14:10
NRL kick off time: 15:00

arvo time slot means no whinging about "on too early/late or whining its a friday/monday night game traffic/late finish starts too close to work finishing work"

as some who is a bit of a drip when it comes to attending footy (i will never ever attend another afl game at 2009 ANZ ****ing third tier nose bleeds internet booking rubbish!) i dont see any excuse other then shift work for not attending

Watch how they claim each games attendance was 32k. I wonder how their TV ratings were for the 2 'near' live games, and how they will split them up, given they usually split the live and delayed games to maximise these numbers too.

NRL = Fudgy League
What did I say? Over at LU a mod in charge of the "crowds" thread is counting the double header as a single game, therefore claiming the rounds average crowd is over 18k, when it should be 15k. Fudgy League strikes again! LOL

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=383970&page=1

Of note, a massive 5,700 at the Penrith game tonight. Yep, thats right, five thousand seven hundred. :D

Aahahahahahahahahahaha 5700?!?! :D

Jesus, a game between Richmond and Port in Darwin doubled that ffs! RL is quickly losing it's mantle of the second biggest sport in Australia, cricket or soccer are closing in and fast!

Well, it WAS dumping down rain. I'd be very reluctant myself to attend especially with Souths as the away team.

Even a free ticket wouldn't get me there. The TV ratings - especially the regional's - will be HUGE.

;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, it WAS dumping down rain. I'd be very reluctant myself to attend especially with Souths as the away team.

Was there an earthquake? How about an oil crisis? I know they were all in the Q and A audience! righhhttt. :rolleyes:

Even a free ticket wouldn't get me there. The TV ratings - especially the regional's - will be HUGE.

;)

Just not worth paying. I suggest the NRl tear down the grandstands and put in a housing development with just enough gaps for the TV cameras. :p

Maybe the Penrith Rams could play there when they reach first division .

Nice thought mate, although seeing as Penrith Council won't let us play on the cricket ground next door, despite being in the midst of having $3 million of Federal money spent on it and it sitting idle during winter, I wouldn't hold my breath ;)

I first started watching them play at Penrith Park (Centrebet Stadium) in about 1980, and I don't think I've ever seen a crowd that small there.

In their defence, it was throwing it down on a Monday night and the game was live on TV, but this was a game in "Rugby League heartland" against one of the top drawing teams in Sydney.

Imagine what they'll say in the good old Terrorgraph if the Giants get a crowd like that to a home game :rolleyes:

As a league fan, I am embarressed by Sydney NRL crowds relative to Melbourne (and for that matter Sydney) AFL. For what ever reason it is not a part of the culture to go to the games. Swans do brilliantly to get 30k crowds from 120k worth of support.
NRL cheif Gallop always falls back on the fact that NRL crowds continue to rise and are pretty good compared to world wide sporting attendences. It is not good enough to me. NRL needs a concerted advertisement campaign much like the membership campaign we see now. This should be one of the first things the Independant commission should do with the new fortune League makes from TV (about 1.1 bill over 5 years).

As a league fan, I am embarressed by Sydney NRL crowds relative to Melbourne (and for that matter Sydney) AFL. For what ever reason it is not a part of the culture to go to the games. Swans do brilliantly to get 30k crowds from 120k worth of support.
NRL cheif Gallop always falls back on the fact that NRL crowds continue to rise and are pretty good compared to world wide sporting attendences. It is not good enough to me. NRL needs a concerted advertisement campaign much like the membership campaign we see now. This should be one of the first things the Independant commission should do with the new fortune League makes from TV (about 1.1 bill over 5 years).

This is what NRL fans dont understand. You sold your code to TV years ago, whatever RL gets for TV rights (you claim what you like) will only tie the game even more to TV schedules to the detriment of crowds.

Already the TV stations pick the games 6 weeks out. The AFL got $1.25B and still retained control of its fixture and all 9 games will be live at close to the same times as before. No commitment to MNF either.

Your guess of the Swans 120K is laughable. The Swans got 3 crowds of 60,000 in 2007 at the height of their bandwagon. They have a core, fans with some interest, some watch on TV, fans who check scores, etc. The Tv ratings for Swans games are averages not peaks and often ignore the fact that Foxtel simulcasts the game.

In real terms, actual fans that go to games though are made up of crowds. Swans 25-30K, Storm 10K. Swans are 3 to 1 more popular than the Storm.

*snip*

This should be one of the first things the Independant commission should do with the new fortune League makes from TV (about 1.1 bill over 5 years).

I'm curious.

Why do you think the NRL will get $1.1 billion over 5 years? You're talking about a 164% increase in year-by-year pricing. Don't you think this might be a little optimistic?

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Rules in Sydney Football Crowds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back