AFL Rules in Sydney Football Crowds

Remove this Banner Ad

32,000 at a double header at lang Park featuring in one game the home town one club Broncos and in the other the Bulldogs who are probably the biggest club apart from he Broncos........a mere 32K.

Wasn't the same ground sold out for a league game two nights beforehand? Wasn't last night's game a Broncos away game (which denied members the use of their season tickets)?

A bit of context here.

32,000 at a double header at lang Park featuring in one game the home town one club Broncos and in the other the Bulldogs who are probably the biggest club apart from he Broncos........a mere 32K.

Watch how they claim each games attendance was 32k. I wonder how their TV ratings were for the 2 'near' live games, and how they will split them up, given they usually split the live and delayed games to maximise these numbers too.

NRL = Fudgy League

Watch how they claim each games attendance was 32k. I wonder how their TV ratings were for the 2 'near' live games, and how they will split them up, given they usually split the live and delayed games to maximise these numbers too.

NRL = Fudgy League

Here's the figures:

11 Nine’s Live Friday Night Football Nine 675,000 384,000 *** 291,000 *** ***
16 Seven’s AFL: Rnd 10: Melbourne Vs Carlton Seven 549,000 12,000 353,000 8,000 102,000 73,000

Wasn't the same ground sold out for a league game two nights beforehand? Wasn't last night's game a Broncos away game (which denied members the use of their season tickets)?

A bit of context here.

Who mentioned 2 nights before?

I mentioned the double hearder featuring he home town biggest club in the league drawing 32,000.

Broncos away game? OK. I was at an Essendon "away" game a few days ago where they numbered more than 32,000 on their own.

Honesly mate 32K in that situation is awful. Just accept it.

Here's the figures:

11 Nine’s Live Friday Night Football Nine 675,000 384,000 *** 291,000 *** ***
16 Seven’s AFL: Rnd 10: Melbourne Vs Carlton Seven 549,000 12,000 353,000 8,000 102,000 73,000

LOL that doesn't include the second game which only rated 372k!

Amazing! the NRL games were both 'near' live and played one after another. They split the ratings so the prime time 7.30 game achieved 675k for 2 hours and the game following at 9.30 only got 372k.

Yet the AFL game at 8.30pm was averaged over 3 hrs from 8.30 to 11.30 and achieved 549k, which was 1 hr delay to Mel, 1.5 hrs delay to SA and 3hrs delay to WA.

If you average the 4 hours of NRL last night, like they did to the AFL's 3 hours coverage, they get an average of 523k

Fudgy League at its finest. :D

LOL that doesn't include the second game which only rated 372k!

Amazing! the NRL games were both 'near' live and played one after another. They split the ratings so the prime time 7.30 game achieved 675k for 2 hours and the game following at 9.30 only got 372k.

Yet the AFL game at 8.30pm was averaged over 3 hrs from 8.30 to 11.30 and achieved 549k, which was 1 hr delay to Mel, 1.5 hrs delay to SA and 3hrs delay to WA.

If you average the 4 hours of NRL last night, like they did to the AFL's 3 hours coverage, they get an average of 523k

Fudgy League at its finest. :D

Don't all sports split their programs for rating purposes? Or are you saying that they don't have "AFL pre-game", "AFL Grand Final", "AFL presentation" etc in the ratings?

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Hell, I am not even standing up for league, but you are drawing some pretty long bows here.

Don't all sports split their programs for rating purposes? Or are you saying that they don't have "AFL pre-game", "AFL Grand Final", "AFL presentation" etc in the ratings?

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Hell, I am not even standing up for league, but you are drawing some pretty long bows here.

Where in last nights AFL game was it split in to ratings sections? The GF is different. The covereage goes for 6 hours including extensive pre and post match analysis and festivities. Last nights NRL was 2 x 2 hour games, one after another, both 'near' live. Why split them for ratings sake? Because they lose without it. 9.30 seems too late at night for NRL fans it would appear. Amazing that the AFL game is only just into the second quarter at 9.30pm.

Where in last nights AFL game was it split in to ratings sections? The GF is different. The covereage goes for 6 hours including extensive pre and post match analysis and festivities. Last nights NRL was 2 x 2 hour games, one after another, both 'near' live. Why split them for ratings sake? Because they lose without it. 9.30 seems too late at night for NRL fans it would appear. Amazing that the AFL game is only just into the second quarter at 9.30pm.

Again: I don't think it is unreasonable that the ratings for two different games are separated. They are different games, live or not,.

As for the ratings, what is more troubling is that we were trounced by a code that was only playing into two cities. Of course, there is the mitigating factor os an ordinary AFL match up, but still...

Again: I don't think it is unreasonable that the ratings for two different games are separated. They are different games, live or not,.

As for the ratings, what is more troubling is that we were trounced by a code that was only playing into two cities. Of course, there is the mitigating factor os an ordinary AFL match up, but still...

And we were only telecast in to 3 cities at a decent hour. In fact given the delay to WA we were only telecast to 2 cities with any relevance, and the accumulated population of those cities is only 5.5 million.

Remember the NRL showed a team from both their heartland states. The AFL only had teams from Melbourne. Any surprise the SA/WA ratings were low. Any surprise the QLD NRL ratings were so high?

And we were only telecast in to 3 cities at a decent hour. In fact given the delay to WA we were only telecast to 2 cities with any relevance, and the accumulated population of those cities is only 5.5 million.

Remember the NRL showed a team from both their heartland states. The AFL only had teams from Melbourne. Any surprise the SA/WA ratings were low. Any surprise the QLD NRL ratings were so high?

We should do better though. Going to 3 cities at a decent hour versus 2 cities in total. We should be winning every week, not just most weeks! Let's face it, our reach around the country is our greatest advantage over the NRL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should do better though. Going to 3 cities at a decent hour versus 2 cities in total. We should be winning every week, not just most weeks! Let's face it, our reach around the country is our greatest advantage over the NRL.

Last friday night the AFL won pretty convincingly, and i think 3 out of the top five on fox, it ebbs and flows, but overall the AFL win the ratings.

I would have thought that considering the Bronco's, Manly, Bulldogs and Titans played ( the two top QLD teams, and big Sydney teams) that they should win the ratings against a team like Demons V Carlton. (not exactly a dream match up )

The populations of AFL's 3 cities and the NRL's 2 cities are both the same: around 7 Million. How is it we should "do better" when almost every FN AFL game only involves teams from 1 city and is on delay to every city up to 3 hours? The NRL have live coverage to all 7 Million PLUS they show a QLD team and a NSW team every time.

The NRL target FN, and do it well. They have an advantage because their entire heartland is in the same time zone and condensed within 2 states. We are too spread out to compete with that focussed targetting.

Where the AFL catchup and eventually pass the NRL is over the weekend when every state gets a chance to see a team play from their state at a decent hour.

But you will always hear the NRL claim their FN ratings prove they rate superior to the AFL. They ignore the terrible ratings they get for their delayed FN game, even though it is on at a decent hour of 9.30pm, barely 1/3 of the way through our game. Their Sunday ratings are also crap because they aren't live and targetted, just like our FN games.

Watch how they claim each games attendance was 32k.

It's on the list .

And congratulations to Go GWS as you are the person in a long while to add to the list (note bolded).

1 .SL stuffed us up completely and we haven't recovered .
. The mergers put people off , merged teams don't represent their region , merged teams are too powerful .
. Dropping South Sydney put people off and put more off by coming back and will lose the rest by relocating or dying.
. Dropping the expansion teams kill any chance of becoming national .
. Dropping the other teams didn't matter because they weren't that popular anyway .

2 .We play to our "heartlands" .............. our heartlands are in the bush,
. These people don't get the chance to go to many games as ch9 chop and change times and generally play god.
. Ch 9 and Foxtel shedule NRL games on short notice unlike the AFL that lock the shedule all games in October
. Our heartlands seem to be getting smaller all the time .
. We're stuck in suburban times .

3. Sydney people are doing it tough and just can't afford to go -
. Mortage prices , fuel prices , public transport prices , battery prices for their remote control .
. $30 general entry, I was drinking UDL's at $9 per can

4 . It's a television game -
. And the game was on Fox or FTA so the fans were at home .
. Ratings are much more important than viewers .
. You have to count the regional and city figures even though they overlap .
. You have to count New Zealand figures even though it's not officially a state of Australia yet .
. The ratings were down so I guess a lot of people went out to clubs and pubs to watch it .
. There was a lot of sport on TV. ........golf , tennis , lawn bowls , motorsports , bowling , darts , WWWWE
. There were good shows on TV ... Bloke's World , Iron Chef , Bert's big brother idol lost on celebrity dancing singing skating survivor
. Couch potatoes count as real interested viewers .
. The report is not valid because it only shows interest not real support like ratings where the person gets off his butt and
. ............ sorry where the person changes the channel on the remote .

5.The game is popular but the team isn't
. Either that popular crowd drawing team is down OR that unpopular drawing team is dominating .
. It was an away game for that popular crowd drawing team so they couldn't use their memberships .

6 .It's the Sydney transport system
. Public transport is unpopular or it's too crowded because it's popular .
. You cannot expect people to go to the SFS just because people go to see the Swans at the SCG nextdoor .

7. It's the weather
. Too hot , too cold or perfect for doing something else .
. You cannot expect people to go to stadia in weather like that even though there's plenty of room in the stadia because nobody goes .

8. It's the media
. Too little media , the unfair media ,the negative RL media , too much AFL media
. Our supporters can't read the media (nice pictures though)
. It's war ,according to the Telegraph ,an invasion ,even though football was here before RL ..

9. It's the lack of development by the NRL ,ARL , NSWRL and BRL.... and
. we're facing development from AFL , FFA and Netball .
. the NZRL is sponging off Australia and Australia is raping the NZRL
. S14 RU is stealing all our players
. the AFL is stealing our players according to 60 minutes
. the FFA will be stealing our players as soon as they expand .

10. It's the lack of blockbusters .
. Sheduled against us was an another big game of .....RU , AFL, AL , NBL , ANL , WNBL.......
. We sheduled a game against another big game of .....RU , AFL, AL , NBL , ANL , WNBL......
. The upcoming Olympics is grabbing everybody's attention
. The recent RU WC is grabbing everybody's attention
. The soccer WC is grabbing everybody's attention
. even the AFL International Cup is grabbing attention.
. The recent RL WC is not grabbing everybody's attention - blame the AFL for one Australia Vs Ireland IR test

11. The government won't finance new stadiums , but when they do the crowds will be enormous.
. as long as all people are able sit close to the sidelines
. and the ends aren't too far from the action
. and now our stadiums are built they are too big and look empty deterring more people

. Homebush & SFS - small crowds are a visual embarrassment
. Lang Park - now built , no excuses..
. Docklands - state of the art boutique stadium not used as too costly (low crowds)
. Melbourne Olympic Park - latest holy grail for rl crowds
. Perth MES - now upgraded , nrl's wannabe team crowd about 1710 and going down .
. Gosford - new stadium , new savior for Sydney clubs
. Canberra , Cronulla ,Brookvale ,Kogarah , Paramatta , Campbelltown , Penrith , Wollongong -
. stadiums upgrade hasn't helped prevent decline .
. Newcastle upgrade on the way when the club is looking at downsizing .

12. When they gonna have double headers , triple headers ...we can then claim the one crowd for both games !

13 . We don't have -
. a centrally located "home of football" like the AFL .
. the AFL's draft , management , development , clout , and aggressive approach to expansion ..
. a decent game , (but that's the least of our worries)
. $1.2 billion in TV rights.
, People wanting to play our game with more wanting to play AFL than RL in the last 5 years .

We do have
. leagues clubs to support NRL clubs ,
. a new pokie tax that is gonna kill off the leagues clubs .
. a geographically centred stadium at Homebush suited to AFL .
. new stadium being built at Blacktown for AFL , because the NRL wasn't interested .
. players wanting to leave their NRL contracts to play AFL .

15. When looking at NRL crowd averages
. you cannot look at Sydney in isolation - because they are pathetically low .
. you cannot look at Melbourne because they have no history there and because they are pathetically low .
. you cannot look at this point in time because historically crowds dip this time of year .
. you cannot look at crowds at all because the crowd looked and felt a lot bigger than the official low figure .
. you cannot look at the TV at all because the crowd looked and felt a lot smaller than the official low figure .
. you can look at past pathetically low crowd figures because that shows the present in a good light .
. you overlook that 25% of all rounds affected by SOO with the best 34 players either unavailable or backing up after SOO.
. you cannot look at NRL crowds because the focus is on SOO .
. you cannot look at NRL crowds because they are inflated because they all do it .
. you cannot look at NRL crowds because clubs are paid $100k to play to empty stadiums .
. you cannot look at NRL crowds because they contain freebies from passport holding Pacific Islanders.
. you cannot look at NRL crowds because they contain freebies from Moms , nans , nurses and carers .
. you cannot look at NRL crowds because they contain freebies from anyone in their Warriors gear, does a haka or sings the national anthem,
. you cannot look at NRL crowds because more people turned up to see Russel Crowe than South Sydney .

16. you cannot look at SOO crowds
. because they contain a lot of freebies .
. tickets still are expensive...spending $100 in Sydney to watch footie is way too much
. spending $50 for the nose bleed section is way too much
. it is a big week in sport for sydney
. the game is just too good to watch on TV
, because the same same two teams play each other every year after year after year after year .

17. Canberra is under performing
. because now it supports two clubs .
. It's all a bluff because Canberra are renegotiating their stadium deal.

18. It's a bluff because the AFL want some publicity .

19. It's basically because rl is dying - but that is another list !!!

Um, nice list. Two things, though. A list of my own if you like.

1. I don't think I added the second bolded item. Check the quotes.
2. "we can claim..." Who's we? I'm not claiming the crowd for anyone, let alone the NRL. *They* can do whatever they want with it.

I wasn't making excuses for their crowd on Friday night. I just, as I said in my first post today, was putting some context in here, which was this: I don't think this game was much of an event in Brissie, because they'd already had their big game for the week.

Read my posts. I am not trying to defend the NRL.

Should I be touched that you have put me on your list??

I don't think I added the second bolded item. Check the quotes

It was an away game for that popular crowd drawing team so they couldn't use their memberships .

Wasn't last night's game a Broncos away game (which denied members the use of their season tickets)?

It was an away game for that popular crowd drawing team so they couldn't use their memberships .

A bit of context here.

Should I be touched that you have put me on your list??

maybe , but I'm more interested in

I don't think this game was much of an event in Brissie, because they'd already had their big game for the week.

I could possibly add that as well !

Cos, the second bolded item you had was:

12. When they gonna have double headers , triple headers ...we can then claim the one crowd for both games !

Can I just state again, in plain English, that I am very sure I didn't say that. If you are going to misquote me once, don't compound it by doing it again by way of trying to defend yourself.

A simple "sorry" or "I was mistaken" will be fine. Ta.

Just for the record...

It's on the list .

And congratulations to Go GWS as you are the person in a long while to add to the list (note bolded).

. Either that popular crowd drawing team is down OR that unpopular drawing team is dominating .
. It was an away game for that popular crowd drawing team so they couldn't use their memberships .

It's on the list .

1 .SL stuffed us up completely and we haven't recovered .
. The mergers put people off , merged teams don't represent their region , merged teams are too powerful .
. Dropping South Sydney put people off and put more off by coming back and will lose the rest by relocating or dying.
. Dropping the expansion teams kill any chance of becoming national .
. Dropping the other teams didn't matter because they weren't that popular anyway .

2 .We play to our "heartlands" .............. our heartlands are in the bush,
. These people don't get the chance to go to many games as ch9 chop and change times and generally play god.
. Ch 9 and Foxtel shedule NRL games on short notice unlike the AFL that lock the shedule all games in October
. Our heartlands seem to be getting smaller all the time .
. We're stuck in suburban times .

3. Sydney people are doing it tough and just can't afford to go -
. Mortage prices , fuel prices , public transport prices , battery prices for their remote control .
. $30 general entry, I was drinking UDL's at $9 per can

4 . It's a television game -
. And the game was on Fox or FTA so the fans were at home .
. Ratings are much more important than viewers .
. You have to count the regional and city figures even though they overlap .
. You have to count New Zealand figures even though it's not officially a state of Australia yet .
. The ratings were down so I guess a lot of people went out to clubs and pubs to watch it .
. There was a lot of sport on TV. ........golf , tennis , lawn bowls , motorsports , bowling , darts , WWWWE
. There were good shows on TV ... Bloke's World , Iron Chef , Bert's big brother idol lost on celebrity dancing singing skating survivor
. Couch potatoes count as real interested viewers .
. The report is not valid because it only shows interest not real support like ratings where the person gets off his butt and
. ............ sorry where the person changes the channel on the remote .

6 .It's the Sydney transport system
. Public transport is unpopular or it's too crowded because it's popular .
. You cannot expect people to go to the SFS just because people go to see the Swans at the SCG nextdoor .

7. It's the weather
. Too hot , too cold or perfect for doing something else .
. You cannot expect people to go to stadia in weather like that even though there's plenty of room in the stadia because nobody goes .

8. It's the media
. Too little media , the unfair media ,the negative RL media , too much AFL media
. Our supporters can't read the media (nice pictures though)
. It's war ,according to the Telegraph ,an invasion ,even though football was here before RL ..

9. It's the lack of development by the NRL ,ARL , NSWRL and BRL.... and
. we're facing development from AFL , FFA and Netball .
. the NZRL is sponging off Australia and Australia is raping the NZRL
. S14 RU is stealing all our players
. the AFL is stealing our players according to 60 minutes
. the FFA will be stealing our players as soon as they expand .

10. It's the lack of blockbusters .
. Sheduled against us was an another big game of .....RU , AFL, AL , NBL , ANL , WNBL.......
. We sheduled a game against another big game of .....RU , AFL, AL , NBL , ANL , WNBL......
. The upcoming Olympics is grabbing everybody's attention
. The recent RU WC is grabbing everybody's attention
. The soccer WC is grabbing everybody's attention
. even the AFL International Cup is grabbing attention.
. The recent RL WC is not grabbing everybody's attention - blame the AFL for one Australia Vs Ireland IR test

11. The government won't finance new stadiums , but when they do the crowds will be enormous.
. as long as all people are able sit close to the sidelines
. and the ends aren't too far from the action
. and now our stadiums are built they are too big and look empty deterring more people

. Homebush & SFS - small crowds are a visual embarrassment
. Lang Park - now built , no excuses..
. Docklands - state of the art boutique stadium not used as too costly (low crowds)
. Melbourne Olympic Park - latest holy grail for rl crowds
. Perth MES - now upgraded , nrl's wannabe team crowd about 1710 and going down .
. Gosford - new stadium , new savior for Sydney clubs
. Canberra , Cronulla ,Brookvale ,Kogarah , Paramatta , Campbelltown , Penrith , Wollongong -
. stadiums upgrade hasn't helped prevent decline .
. Newcastle upgrade on the way when the club is looking at downsizing .

13 . We don't have -
. a centrally located "home of football" like the AFL .
. the AFL's draft , management , development , clout , and aggressive approach to expansion ..
. a decent game , (but that's the least of our worries)
. $1.2 billion in TV rights.
, People wanting to play our game with more wanting to play AFL than RL in the last 5 years .

We do have
. leagues clubs to support NRL clubs ,
. a new pokie tax that is gonna kill off the leagues clubs .
. a geographically centred stadium at Homebush suited to AFL .
. new stadium being built at Blacktown for AFL , because the NRL wasn't interested .
. players wanting to leave their NRL contracts to play AFL .

15. When looking at NRL crowd averages
. you cannot look at Sydney in isolation - because they are pathetically low .
. you cannot look at Melbourne because they have no history there and because they are pathetically low .
. you cannot look at this point in time because historically crowds dip this time of year .
. you cannot look at crowds at all because the crowd looked and felt a lot bigger than the official low figure .
. you cannot look at the TV at all because the crowd looked and felt a lot smaller than the official low figure .
. you can look at past pathetically low crowd figures because that shows the present in a good light .
. you overlook that 25% of all rounds affected by SOO with the best 34 players either unavailable or backing up after SOO.
. you cannot look at NRL crowds because the focus is on SOO .
. you cannot look at NRL crowds because they are inflated because they all do it .
. you cannot look at NRL crowds because clubs are paid $100k to play to empty stadiums .
. you cannot look at NRL crowds because they contain freebies from passport holding Pacific Islanders.
. you cannot look at NRL crowds because they contain freebies from Moms , nans , nurses and carers .
. you cannot look at NRL crowds because they contain freebies from anyone in their Warriors gear, does a haka or sings the national anthem,
. you cannot look at NRL crowds because more people turned up to see Russel Crowe than South Sydney .

16. you cannot look at SOO crowds
. because they contain a lot of freebies .
. tickets still are expensive...spending $100 in Sydney to watch footie is way too much
. spending $50 for the nose bleed section is way too much
. it is a big week in sport for sydney
. the game is just too good to watch on TV
, because the same same two teams play each other every year after year after year after year .

17. Canberra is under performing
. because now it supports two clubs .
. It's all a bluff because Canberra are renegotiating their stadium deal.

18. It's a bluff because the AFL want some publicity .

19. It's basically because rl is dying - but that is another list !!!

Nothing will ever beat this.

Call me a conspiracist but the IMO ratings are not an accurate measure .
Firstly ,the ratings can be easily manipulated as everybody including the ratings company has a vested interest in maintain some high rating FTA TV.
Secondly .the TVs may be tuned to rl but a lot of the time nobody's actually watching it.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Rules in Sydney Football Crowds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back