AFL seeks compensation for World Cup disruption

Remove this Banner Ad

Threads like these are hilarious!

It's so funny to see provincial, small-minded idiots make fools of themselves because they have no idea about how the world operates outside of the AFL.

I'm dumbfounded that people think the AFL should tell FIFA to "go and get f*cked". Umm, the AFL have no say in this. The FFA is being nice by even offering to talk to the AFL and NRL and work out a solution.

I can guarantee this, there will be no contractual problems with the FIFA World Cup getting access to any stadium it wants in the country. Why? Because if the AFL and NRL refuse to come to the party the Govt will simply pass Legislation (and believe me they will, they've already flagged it as an option) to make it LAW that the AFL and NRL don't have access to those stadiums.

And if the AFL and NRL refuse this do you really think the Federal Govt is then going to turn around and give them compensation? There certainly wont be any compensation coming from FIFA, they couldn't give a f*ck about the AFL...and rightly so.

It's great to see the bully become the one being bullied. People think the AFL is the be all and end all of the world, that the AFL are the biggest sporting administrators and can tell anyone anything they want and get away with it. Because basically that is what they do in Australia.

But then comes along an organisation with far greater power that just laughs at the AFL and people here cannot accept that the AFL might not get it's own way.
If this is the case, then why should we care about them?

Threads like these are hilarious!

It's so funny to see provincial, small-minded idiots make fools of themselves because they have no idea about how the world operates outside of the AFL.

I'm dumbfounded that people think the AFL should tell FIFA to "go and get f*cked". Umm, the AFL have no say in this. The FFA is being nice by even offering to talk to the AFL and NRL and work out a solution.

I can guarantee this, there will be no contractual problems with the FIFA World Cup getting access to any stadium it wants in the country. Why? Because if the AFL and NRL refuse to come to the party the Govt will simply pass Legislation (and believe me they will, they've already flagged it as an option) to make it LAW that the AFL and NRL don't have access to those stadiums.

And if the AFL and NRL refuse this do you really think the Federal Govt is then going to turn around and give them compensation? There certainly wont be any compensation coming from FIFA, they couldn't give a f*ck about the AFL...and rightly so.

It's great to see the bully become the one being bullied. People think the AFL is the be all and end all of the world, that the AFL are the biggest sporting administrators and can tell anyone anything they want and get away with it. Because basically that is what they do in Australia.

But then comes along an organisation with far greater power that just laughs at the AFL and people here cannot accept that the AFL might not get it's own way.

Will not happen and if the government was stupid enough to try the high court woud rule against it.

Personally I don't like Soccer so I don't care if it doesn't come to Australia but I am yet to hear a reasonable explanation as to why the AFL and NRL should step aside for the world cup and the excuse that it is a world sport is pointless lawn bowls is a world sport but other competitions do not have to shut down for them.

Why is FIFA scared of a little competition if Soccer is all so powerful then they can go head to head.

its the ffa and the government that want this the most
they need the AFL more than the AFL need them.
The AFL will get compensated if they have to sacrifice their season for this
(why not play it during the a-league season, its their indulgence not ours)
tax payer monies going to both the AFL and NRL to compensate their loss of season, and tax payer monies paying off this event for years after ward,
great

contractual problems aside, the Government will not pass legislation, not the least because of that little thing called the constitution will not allow it, and even if they were to somehow circumvent that, it would be political suicide for them to do so

I'm pretty early on in my law degree...but wondering whether there would be potential Trade Practices consequences for the AFL if they decided to restrict the World Cup.

Basically their contracts with the G deny anyone else from using the ground during the months they use it....and in this situation it is having a substantial lessening of competition effect because World Soccer would not get access to the MCG and it is denying a class of persons.

Sounds like an Exclusive Dealing type situation. When the Rugby split, and the ARL tried to lock in their players, this was held an anti-competitive agreement.

As I said, I aint no expert on it yet, but just the skeleton of it looks like it could have Trade Practices consequences.

AFL is basically acting as a monopoly in Australia (well Vic, SA and Perth atleast)

If the government wants the world cup so badly why dont they just build 12 brand new rectangular world cup grounds. With the several billion dollar profits they'll be making it should be no problem, and then the little pissant afl and nrl can go ahead as normal as these leagues surely can't be seen as competition to the might of fifa.

its the ffa and the government that want this the most
they need the AFL more than the AFL need them.
The AFL will get compensated if they have to sacrifice their season for this
(why not play it during the a-league season, its their indulgence not ours)
tax payer monies going to both the AFL and NRL to compensate their loss of season, and tax payer monies paying off this event for years after ward,
great

mate, this would be ideal. But its not realistic.

If Australia says...we are proposing to play this in November....FIFA will simply disregard our request.

This may not bother you...it may not bother others. But ultimately it will bother the Aus Government who are going to make a wholehearted play at the World Cup. Whether we like it or not.

Though it sounds logical....its is not a practical solution. It will simply not happen. The World Cup will be held mid-year. Every soccer league in the world will not change their fixtures because the AFL and NRL don't want to change theirs.

If the government wants the world cup so badly why dont they just build 12 brand new rectangular world cup grounds. With the several billion dollar profits they'll be making it should be no problem, and then the little pissant afl and nrl can go ahead as normal as these leagues surely can't be seen as competition to the might of fifa.

lol because you can't run any other competitions during the World Cup in the host cities. It's against FIFA's rules. When the world cup is on, nothing else can be.

FIFA is saying, if you want the world cup, then you abide by our rules. And the 8 or so other countries that are vying for the Cup will abide by their rules.If we want it, so much we.

I'm pretty early on in my law degree...but wondering whether there would be potential Trade Practices consequences for the AFL if they decided to restrict the World Cup.

Basically their contracts with the G deny anyone else from using the ground during the months they use it....and in this situation it is having a substantial lessening of competition effect because World Soccer would not get access to the MCG and it is denying a class of persons.

Sounds like an Exclusive Dealing type situation. When the Rugby split, and the ARL tried to lock in their players, this was held an anti-competitive agreement.

As I said, I aint no expert on it yet, but just the skeleton of it looks like it could have Trade Practices consequences.

AFL is basically acting as a monopoly in Australia (well Vic, SA and Perth atleast)

Wouldn't it be the same if Soccer was to get exclusive rights to the grounds excluding the AFL and NRL?

Why is FIFA scared of a little competition if Soccer is all so powerful then they can go head to head.

This is the crux of the matter. Given soccer is the world game & more popular than any other sport on Earth (apparently), surely the World Cup tournament could go ahead in Australia in direct competition with the AFL & NRL & have nothing detracted from the event by the other codes. Or maybe it can't.

We regularly see stadiums used for different codes in the same week, with groundsmen able to convert grounds from the configuration for Aussie Rules to both Rugby codes or to soccer, literally overnight. Also, couldn't they play the less attractive matches (such as those between some unknown African countries & Asian or Middle Eastern countries) at suburban soccer grounds? Surely Bob Jane Stadium would scrub up all right. Hindmarsh Stadium could be used for these games as well.

Sure we can host the World Cup, but let's do it with the AFL & NRL competitions still operating. Wouldn't it be good to see how a Carlton/Collingwood, Essendon/Collingwood, Carlton/Richmond blockbuster would go in direct competition to a World Cup match? Maybe that is what FIFA & FFA are scared off. Some smart AFL, or even NRL scheduling, could make things look a little sad for FIFA's pride & joy.

Soccer would only restrict for 10 weeks. You'd need a longer duration. AFL would be restricting the tournament from happening altogether.

I didn't realise there was a time limit. AFL would not be stopping the tournament that would be FIFA because they didn't get their way.

I love how everyone says the AFL and NRL have to bend over and come to the party but FIFA don't there should be give and take on all three sides of the argument.

This is the crux of the matter. Given soccer is the world game & more popular than any other sport on Earth (apparently), surely the World Cup tournament could go ahead in Australia in direct competition with the AFL & NRL & have nothing detracted from the event by the other codes. Or maybe it can't.

We regularly see stadiums used for different codes in the same week, with groundsmen able to convert grounds from the configuration for Aussie Rules to both Rugby codes or to soccer, literally overnight. Also, couldn't they play the less attractive matches (such as those between some unknown African countries & Asian or Middle Eastern countries) at suburban soccer grounds? Surely Bob Jane Stadium would scrub up all right. Hindmarsh Stadium could be used for these games as well.

Sure we can host the World Cup, but let's do it with the AFL & NRL competitions still operating. Wouldn't it be good to see how a Carlton/Collingwood, Essendon/Collingwood, Carlton/Richmond blockbuster would go in direct competition to a World Cup match? Maybe that is what FIFA & FFA are scared off. Some smart AFL, or even NRL scheduling, could make things look a little sad for FIFA's pride & joy.

It's the world cup, if we want it, we have to respect it. If we are not interested in following the rules, then we shouldn't bother applying.

The government has indicated we are interested, so if that's the case then AFL's decision is:

A: Block it
B: Compromise

The AFL is not in a position to ask FIFA to reschedule or allow it to play. As many have pointed out, AFL is a major competition. FIFA wants to make the most money it can out of it as well. SO it will pick the most economically viable place. AFL may not outdraw the soccer...but it would limit it a lot. So FIFA will not allow another comp the size of AFL to compete against it.

I know a lot of you are against us holding the World CUp. That's an opinion you are entitled to. But your suggestions are ridiculous. Please try to be reasonable. The alternatives you provide are impossible. Your alternatives only sabotage Australia's chances of winning the cup. Obviously the government will not entertain such thoughts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

These so called less attractive matches would sell out Etihad three times over! MS no disrespect but this is the world cup we're talking about not the old NSL, stick to footy!

when the last world cup was on in Germany the afl went off the back page. i dont think our comp would even rate a mention at home or abroad during the tournament if it were to go head to head...which it cant anyway!

I know a lot of you are against us holding the World CUp. That's an opinion you are entitled to. But your suggestions are ridiculous. Please try to be reasonable. The alternatives you provide are impossible. Your alternatives only sabotage Australia's chances of winning the cup. Obviously the government will not entertain such thoughts.

I don't think too many are against Australia hosting the World Cup per se, rather we are against having the AFL season interrupted mid-season, for between 2-3 months, to accommodate the playing of World Cup matches, particularly given the actual competition only lasts for approx 4 weeks, with a number of teams eliminated after the first 2 weeks.

FIFA's demands in relation to no other competition being played in the lead-up to the World Cup tournament is selfish & typical of an organisation which is used to Governments grovelling to them so as the host their tournament.

Australia has successfully hosted Olympic Games, Commonwealth Games, Cricket World Cups, World Swimming Championships, International Athletics Competitions, Motor Grand Prix etc etc, with minimal disruptions to other sports. Why must FIFA insist on such a strict embargo on playing of other sports, for a country to host their tournament?

By all means host the Soccer World Cup, but not on the basis of massive disruption to our game, which so many are passionate about & for which so many eagerly anticipate every new season.

Soccer would only restrict for 10 weeks. You'd need a longer duration. AFL would be restricting the tournament from happening altogether.
its actually 12 weeks minimum.

by the by isnt it the ultimate in double standards to argue that AFL and NRL should have their seasons disrupted for this, but no possible way that we should disrupt the A leagues season. Even though its their indulgence ?

its actually 12 weeks minimum.

by the by isnt it the ultimate in double standards to argue that AFL and NRL should have their seasons disrupted for this, but no possible way that we should disrupt the A leagues season. Even though its their indulgence ?
It's also double standards for the same poster to tell us we have to offer respect when FIFA offers none in return.

The alternatives you provide are impossible.
so is asking both the AFL and NRL to sacrifice their seasons.

what is it with you soccer types, any body who doesn't agree that soccer is the be all and end all is some sort of insular red neck. That somehow because soccer is the most "popular" sport in the world it has to be the best. just because some thing is popular doesn't necessarily translate to being good.
as I stated previously, FOX fm is Melbourne's most popular radio station, does that mean it plays better music than Triple R ?

I don't think too many are against Australia hosting the World Cup per se, rather we are against having the AFL season interrupted mid-season, for between 2-3 months, to accommodate the playing of World Cup matches, particularly given the actual competition only lasts for approx 4 weeks, with a number of teams eliminated after the first 2 weeks.

FIFA's demands in relation to no other competition being played in the lead-up to the World Cup tournament is selfish & typical of an organisation which is used to Governments grovelling to them so as the host their tournament.

Australia has successfully hosted Olympic Games, Commonwealth Games, Cricket World Cups, World Swimming Championships, International Athletics Competitions, Motor Grand Prix etc etc, with minimal disruptions to other sports. Why must FIFA insist on such a strict embargo on playing of other sports, for a country to host their tournament?

By all means host the Soccer World Cup, but not on the basis of massive disruption to our game, which so many are passionate about & for which so many eagerly anticipate every new season.
I'm more than happy to host the World Cup, provided there is minimal interruption to the AFL season.

It amazes me that some here paint the AFL as the potential spoilers in all of this, when it is FIFA who are making the unreasonable demands.

What else is FIFA going to dictate in all of this? How often each member of the population can take a crap when the World Cup is on?

Who's your lecturer, Denis Denuto? Or are you doing that law degree online?

How is AFL restricting the world cup? AFL has contractual first use of the stadiums, which it pays for. The contracts do not prevent anyone else from using the stadiums. Bledisloe Cup matches are played there, the Japan V Australia soccer qualifier last year. FIFA could have access to the stadiums, just not on the draconian terms they're demanding. But the AFL are breaking the the law if they do not shut down their season for 12 weeks to accomodate the World Cup.

With legal analysis like that you'd have people being sentenced to death for unpaid parking tickets.

so is asking both the AFL and NRL to sacrifice their seasons.

what is it with you soccer types, any body who doesn't agree that soccer is the be all and end all is some sort of insular red neck. That somehow because soccer is the most "popular" sport in the world it has to be the best. just because some thing is popular doesn't necessarily translate to being good.
as I stated previously, FOX fm is Melbourne's most popular radio station, does that mean it plays better music than Triple R ?

How many times in this thread have I said that I'm not even a soccer fan.

All I am saying is that as a one off, I would like to see the World Cup in Australia.

I'm not saying that any of the points you are making are wrong. But I'm saying to look at the situation rationally. Australia, AFL, NRL, the state governments etc are not in a position to place demands on FIFA.

They are the one's who will chose the host nation. They can afford to be as draconian as they wish. If we are not happy, there are another 8 nations who will gladly abide by their rules.

I agree, I'd have no problem seeing AFL and the World Cup run at the same time. But it can't happen. FIFA have the right to demand this. It's their choice of country on their rules. We are the one's bidding for it despite their terms.

The formula is simple and non-negotiable. All domestic competitions must be shut down for 10-12 weeks.

Australia will not host the World Cup on any other terms. If Australia in unable to satisfy this, we will not get the Cup. We will not be able to negotiate with FIFA. They can have it on their terms.

This is a decision for Australia and domestic competitions. If we are not willing to meet these terms, then don't bid.

Where this 12 weeks coming from. :confused:

2. We are bidding for the world cup, FIFA aren't demanding anything, it just their terms. Also, i say again, were does it say that AFL is a major event, or why would the AFL want to compete against a world cup, when all the hotels and media are following the world cup.

And tiger woods sold out the golf, York Park had 15K+ for a rugby world cup game between Romania and someone else; the world cup will sell out stadiums, even if people dont really care too much about football/soccer. Its the event itself which will sell tickets, not on all cases the actual game being played.

and 3. 4 weeks, "not in use before" clause is there to protect the ground and the turf from damage(also time to make stadiums "world cup right") . U must remember this if FIFA's showpiece event, they need flat, undamaged ground, so the best can perform well on it.

Now, i reckon there would be some worry if, for example, a game of Cricket was played on the MCG before the AFL finals, which would makes the centre square hard, and dangerous for the players(its an example, i dont want to know it well never happen). It ruins the ground for AFL's showpiece, and it wouldn't allow the best playing at the best possible level.

Well, for soccer/football, nothing is worse than having uneven, dug out turf, which makes the round ball, move all over the place, when played along the ground.

If Australia in unable to satisfy this, we will not get the Cup. We will not be able to negotiate with FIFA. They can have it on their terms.
ah well its no skin off my nose if we not dont get the World Cup, its not as if Melbourne will host the final anyway

LOL, just LOL.

There are so many things wrong with that post and probably sums up the provincial minded Aussies the best. The fact that people think there are "smaller" games says enough. As someone else said, these "small" games would sell out Etihad three times over.

Also, it hasn't even been confirmed if FIFA want the AFL to stop playing. Their regulations state that no other major sporting competitions can take place. No one has actually confirmed if FIFA classify the AFL as a "major competition". There is a fair chance that they wont.

Then we'll get more bitching and moaning that FIFA is disrespecting the AFL by not classifying them as a major competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL seeks compensation for World Cup disruption

Remove this Banner Ad

Back