AFL Silver Membership Waitlist Number

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jumped on at quarter to 12 yesterday to get tickets for my partner, it went straight through but had a 10 minute timer so not real great when the tickets aren't available for another 15 mins! I jumped off and back on, didn't get through till quarter past and got tickets in the nosebleeds. I did note that it was the hot4 address, so will have to try hot1 next time.

Pretty shitty queueing system if they can't get their load balancer to work correctly!

So are Gold AFL Members of competing clubs pretty much guaranteed a GF ticket? Anyone been Gold and their nominated team playing and NOT gotten a ticket?
Yes if you logon during the nominated time period you are guaranteed, although they don't explicitly state this. There are currently no 2 clubs that have more gold members than there are tickets and it is extremely unlikely there ever will be.

Yes if you logon during the nominated time period you are guaranteed, although they don't explicitly state this. There are currently no 2 clubs that have more gold members than there are tickets and it is extremely unlikely there ever will be.
What about Silver and club support for eg Sydney? We are priority 3 in our club ballot and historically all Swans members in the ballot have got tickets.

What about Silver and club support for eg Sydney? We are priority 3 in our club ballot and historically all Swans members in the ballot have got tickets.
You won’t get into the GF being a Silver these days. Competing clubs Full Members get a 2 hour window to secure there tickets and then it’s opened up for a 2 hour window for remaining Full Members to purchase there seats. Some Full Members don’t get tickets as I think there are more members then seat allocation.

A lot of these Full Members will either go to the game or sell it to someone else to pay for the years membership.

If any seats are left unsold which there never is it is opened up to Silver club support.

But if you are a Full Member of the competing team then 100% you will get a seat. It would be a long wait for Silvers these days as I believe waiting times are 15-20 years to become a Full Member.

You won’t get into the GF being a Silver these days. Competing clubs Full Members get a 2 hour window to secure there tickets and then it’s opened up for a 2 hour window for remaining Full Members to purchase there seats. Some Full Members don’t get tickets as I think there are more members then seat allocation.

A lot of these Full Members will either go to the game or sell it to someone else to pay for the years membership.

If any seats are left unsold which there never is it is opened up to Silver club support.

But if you are a Full Member of the competing team then 100% you will get a seat. It would be a long wait for Silvers these days as I believe waiting times are 15-20 years to become a Full Member.
So if I'm reading this right. In the club ballot that we go into, those afl silver members that are in priority 3 won't receive a ticket as that allocation doesn't come from the 17k club allocation? It reads as though all the different member types in all 3 priorities come out of the clubs 17k allocation..

Sydney has 3 priority levels, and in priority 3 it clearly states AFL Silver Club Support members. Like I said, for 2012, 2014 and 2016, we didn't sell out our allocation, therefore AFL Silver in our ballot got tickets...
I was talking about the AFL reserve seats (about 15k). So yes as a Silver AFL member your best bet is through the club ballot.
So if I'm reading this right. In the club ballot that we go into, those afl silver members that are in priority 3 won't receive a ticket as that allocation doesn't come from the 17k club allocation? It reads as though all the different member types in all 3 priorities come out of the clubs 17k allocation..
If you enter the club ballot with your AFL swans membership and are successful your ticket will be part of the 17k club allocation.

The AFL Member Reserve allocation is completely separate from club ballot allocations.
If your club allows you into their ballot as priority 3 and you are successful then you end up with a ticket from your club allocation - nothing to do with the AFL Members.

The AFL Member Reserve allocation is completely separate from club ballot allocations.
If your club allows you into their ballot as priority 3 and you are successful then you end up with a ticket from your club allocation - nothing to do with the AFL Members.

Correct, I was a silver AFL Member in 2011 and had no entitlements to the Grand Final. I was lucky to secure a ticket through the Geelong club ballot. Have since become a gold AFL Member but have not attended a GF using my membership as the only one we made was in QLD.

If 2016 was an example then the Bulldogs and Swans don't have many AFL tickets so the allocation after the initial AFL Gold Competing club support allocation would have been significant. Probably so to a degree that remaining full members also didn't snap up all tickets, so you got in on your Silver club support.

If one of Collingwood, Richmond or Geelong make the GF then your chances of getting a ticket as a Silver member, even if Sydney is playing, is next to 0.

As a full Gold AFL member with club support, I am maybe 1 of 1000 Melbourne supporters with the privilege as most Melbourne supporters are either club members or MCC (vs Collingwood whose membership spills out into AFL Reserve; many supporters would have signed up for AFL membership after missing tickets in 2002/2003 and 2010).

If an MCG tenant is in the GF it's going to be very difficult for ANYONE that isn't a Gold AFL Member, or club member with GF guarantee, or MCC full member to get tickets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If 2016 was an example then the Bulldogs and Swans don't have many AFL tickets so the allocation after the initial AFL Gold Competing club support allocation would have been significant. Probably so to a degree that remaining full members also didn't snap up all tickets, so you got in on your Silver club support.

If one of Collingwood, Richmond or Geelong make the GF then your chances of getting a ticket as a Silver member, even if Sydney is playing, is next to 0.

As a full Gold AFL member with club support, I am maybe 1 of 1000 Melbourne supporters with the privilege as most Melbourne supporters are either club members or MCC (vs Collingwood whose membership spills out into AFL Reserve; many supporters would have signed up for AFL membership after missing tickets in 2002/2003 and 2010).

If an MCG tenant is in the GF it's going to be very difficult for ANYONE that isn't a Gold AFL Member, or club member with GF guarantee, or MCC full member to get tickets.
So, just to be clear, in every club's 17k allocation, none of them are from the AFL Members. They only go into the 17k allocation AFTER AFL Gold member sale has been completed?

For eg, each club doesn't get say 200 tickets to go to AFL Silver with club support in their 17k allocation... That 17k allocation is made up only for every other category of member. Like priority 3 for Sydney is also interstate memberships. They don't even get a ticket to their interstate game (Perth, QLD, SA). They have to buy that. It costs them all of $90 for the membership itself. You're saying they would have more of a chance of getting a ticket to the grand final in the Sydney ballot over someone who pays $450 for AFL Silver membership?

That just doesn't make sense.

Someone above made more sense out of it when saying if you choose to try and get a ticket in the AFL Member sale as a Silver member you won't get a ticket, so you are better off going into your club ballot for a club like Sydney as you would likely get a ticket.

I could be wrong but I don’t think Silver Club supports have access to the ballots.

So, just to be clear, in every club's 17k allocation, none of them are from the AFL Members. They only go into the 17k allocation AFTER AFL Gold member sale has been completed?

For eg, each club doesn't get say 200 tickets to go to AFL Silver with club support in their 17k allocation... That 17k allocation is made up only for every other category of member. Like priority 3 for Sydney is also interstate memberships. They don't even get a ticket to their interstate game (Perth, QLD, SA). They have to buy that. It costs them all of $90 for the membership itself. You're saying they would have more of a chance of getting a ticket to the grand final in the Sydney ballot over someone who pays $450 for AFL Silver membership?

That just doesn't make sense.

Someone above made more sense out of it when saying if you choose to try and get a ticket in the AFL Member sale as a Silver member you won't get a ticket, so you are better off going into your club ballot for a club like Sydney as you would likely get a ticket.

The post you responded to was just talking about getting a seat in the AFL Members Reserve section of the ground.

The club ballot is a completely separate process and allocation in another part of the ground, not related at all.

Last edited:
You're confusing two different allocations.

The AFL reserve is ~22k seats. As an AFL member, you're entitled to buy a seat here in the reserve for the GF based on your priority level.

Each club also gets ~17-20k tickets each for their club members. (So call it 35-40k total tickets for both clubs). Each club can allocate these tickets how they choose. As an AFL member, we're also a member of our nominated club. So some clubs (such as the Sydney Swans in your case) allow AFL members to enter the club ballot (in your case the Swans have 3 tiers of priority and you can enter at priority 3).

So you can choose to use your AFL membership to either buy a seat in the AFL reserve (space permitting based on your priority there) or enter your clubs ballot (if they let you, and again based on priority).

I could be wrong but I don’t think Silver Club supports have access to the ballots.
Depends on the club.

At Geelong, an AFL Silver member is priority 2 (generally a 50/50 shot of getting a ticket in the club ballot), but can buy a premiership membership which moves them up to priority 1 (guaranteed ticket).

Gold members can't enter the ballot, but as a competing club are guaranteed a ticket that way. Seems like a fair compromise given we're still members of our club too.

I'm old - granted - but
My belief (if we can ever trust the AFL) was

60% of available AFL Reserve Tickets went to competing Gold/Full Members
(eg. 20,000 available - 12,000 for the 2 x competing clubs)

The remaining 40% (8,000) plus any not 'scooped-up' by the competing Gold/Full Members are then open General Gold/Full
(before we get to the Silver/Restricted competing Members and then any AFL Member in general)

Is that still not the case ?

I'm old - granted - but

The remaining 40% (8,000) plus any not 'scooped-up' by the competing Gold/Full Members are then open General Gold/Full
(before we get to the Silver/Restricted competing Members and then any AFL Member in general)

I dont think there is a 60% limit available for competing members. It should just be open for all competing members. If its Collingwood v Richmond grand final I imagine it would be closer to 90% full and slim picking for non competing gold members.

Depends on the club.

At Geelong, an AFL Silver member is priority 2 (generally a 50/50 shot of getting a ticket in the club ballot), but can buy a premiership membership which moves them up to priority 1 (guaranteed ticket).

Gold members can't enter the ballot, but as a competing club are guaranteed a ticket that way. Seems like a fair compromise given we're still members of our club too.

This makes perfect sense from a club standpoint. You want all the AFL members with guaranteed GF ticket to 'fill up that part of the ground' rather than the gold member sitting in the Geelong members area and their AFL member spot filled up by a neutral.

I'm old - granted - but

All competing Gold Members get first dibs. Hence its always harder when someone like Collingwood are in it as they have 12k or so AFL members. Richmond similiarly may have about 8k AFL members. Not much left after they have snazzled those seats when they are playing.

I'm old - granted - but

That is how I read it.
The only thing that may have changed is the 60% figure

I'm old - granted - but

I remember reading this 10+ years ago but haven't seen it in the membership doco for a long time, it was discussed in this thread at some point too.

Last stats they released the largest Gold member combo was Pies v Bombers/Carlton at about 12k, I think they will always make sure competing Gold can get one. The problem is how many of the rest end up with non competing Gold and then Silver and how many are siphoned off for $$$.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back