News AFL trade, free agency and draft. "who goes where?" - No freakin' hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deledio for GWS 2017 1st + 2016 3rd.

Jordan Lewis for 48.

:mad:

Anyway happy we landed O'Meara.

Difference between topping up for a premiership tilt (pay overs) and moving a player on to free up cap space and create opportunity (take unders)

Correct value for both probably around a second rounder

GW always knew what he was doing.
The pick 10 was a master stroke and gave us leverage to get this deal done.

Pick 10 and a future second rounder to me on face value GC probably had a better deal on the table at the start.

Cut their nose off to spite their face and also damaged their rep at the trade table whilst Carlton and us showed what building relationships is all about.

We owned this trade period despite the nay sayers!

Last edited:

Probably going to get hounded for this, but I just wanted to post here and say that I think the final trade was a fair result.

At the very worst case scenario if the 2 x future 2nd Rd pick teams play in the GF next year, when added to pick 10, the Suns just got the equivalent of pick 3 for Jaeger. Every spot those future Rd2 picks drop, the better the deal.

So at the very least, pick 3 for Jaeger is a fantastic deal for the Suns, but the Hawks have got one hell of a future superstar provided his injuries are behind him.

It was a long and drawn out trade period with a lot of melts and breakdowns, but the deal got done, and it's better than the 'final offer' of pick 10 and a third rounder.

Jaeger for pick 3 = great outcome for both clubs.

Best of luck in 2017.
Where are you getting this?
My understanding is you got pick 10 and 1 future 2nd rounder?

Probably going to get hounded for this, but I just wanted to post here and say that I think the final trade was a fair result.

At the very worst case scenario if the 2 x future 2nd Rd pick teams play in the GF next year, when added to pick 10, the Suns just got the equivalent of pick 3 for Jaeger. Every spot those future Rd2 picks drop, the better the deal.

So at the very least, pick 3 for Jaeger is a fantastic deal for the Suns, but the Hawks have got one hell of a future superstar provided his injuries are behind him.

It was a long and drawn out trade period with a lot of melts and breakdowns, but the deal got done, and it's better than the 'final offer' of pick 10 and a third rounder.

Best of luck in 2017.

I suppose the other thing is other teams didn't expect our future picks to go low anytime soon - so its a kind of compliment to not want them

DONE DEAL: SWANS AND POWER SWAP PICKS

The Swans have traded two first round picks, 14 & 17 and a second round pick, No.31, to Port for picks 9, 19 and 49.

Maybe taking O'Meara in the ND

Last edited:

That moment when Adelaide take Jarman for pick 89 and you were hoping he'd last until 90

Ine1AkaF_400x400.jpg

Best of luck in 2017.

Look, I want you to be as happy as us.
But you don't have pick#3.
You have points equivalent to pick#3, but you sure as shit can't actually claim a player at pick#3 in either draft.
That's what some of my fellow Hawks posters never really got when we traded our picks to get #10. Those other picks in later rounds are just that, picks in later rounds.

You got pick #10, which is truly all you should have received for a young colt who hasn't played football because of a horrific knee injury for 2 years.
After that, you will hope just like every other team that those 2nd round picks are better than average players, but are just as likely to be bettered by another club's 3rd rounders, 4th rounders or rookies.

We had a strategy to get proven talent, and proven quality human beings into our club.
Your president had a scorched earth policy and will kill your club.

As a supporter, you sound like a decent bloke.
But your confidence in your president is poorly founded. He'll screw your club into the earth.
And when you need to rebuild, when the club presidents all get together and Gold Coast are struggling still to generate revenue and grow the game as they need to - you'll have one less voice of support in that room.
It was a really poor, small minded, short sighted avenue your club was taken down, and you will absolutely regret it one day soon.

Best of luck in 2017.
You could have had pick 23, 36 and our future first round pick which will probably be pick 10ish last week. It's a shame one man held this deal up.

Best of luck in 2017.

The issue is it could have been done last week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have points equivalent to pick#3, but you sure as shit can't actually claim a player at pick#3 in either draft.
That's what some of my fellow Hawks posters never really got when we traded our picks to get #10. Those other picks in later rounds are just that, picks in later rounds.

You got pick #10, which is truly all you should have received for a young colt who hasn't played football because of a horrific knee injury for 2 years.
After that, you will hope just like every other team that those 2nd round picks are better than average players, but are just as likely to be bettered by another club's 3rd rounders, 4th rounders or rookies.

We had a strategy to get proven talent, and proven quality human beings into our club.

But your confidence in your president is poorly founded. He'll screw your club into the earth.
And when you need to rebuild, when the club presidents all get together and Gold Coast are struggling still to generate revenue and grow the game as they need to - you'll have one less voice of support in that room.
It was a really poor, small minded, short sighted avenue your club was taken down, and you will absolutely regret it one day soon.

Very well articulated, absolutely spot on. I don't get this obsession with ranking pick trades to say, in this example "it's the equivalent of pick 3", it is not pick 3, it's pick 10, enjoy.

For me, draft picks are transitioning into a kind of 'currency' and it might get a lot simpler if they bite the bullet and go for the currency, then have some kind of auction for drafting.

Clubs look at the list of players, then 'express interest' in the ones they want. Then the draftee with the most interest is put up for auction. something like that. you could have father son discount and give some teams extra currency if they are struggling.

For me, draft picks are transitioning into a kind of 'currency' and it might get a lot simpler if they bite the bullet and go for the currency, then have some kind of auction for drafting.

Clubs look at the list of players, then 'express interest' in the ones they want. Then the draftee with the most interest is put up for auction. something like that. you could have father son discount and give some teams extra currency if they are struggling.

I think we decided a few years back that draft picks weren't worth much - we seem to identify needs then work out who the best person we can get to fit that need is. Then if we do have picks left over we use them on the best player left.

This seems to be how you stay up for as long as possible.

Just wanted to say, im so proud to be a Hawks supporter. We definitely rode the bumps this week and will walk out today with a grin (most of us). We lost two champs, but they were gonna go next year anyway. A lot of us (me included) doubted the club but look where we are now. I truly believe Hawthorn is the best football club and can't wait to enjoy more success (whenever that be) with all you guys!

I initially thought it was 2 future 2nds we gave up - but it seems that its only Carlton's one! THATS AWESOME!

I read it that way too initially.

I think we gave up our future 2nd rd pick and brought in Carltons, which assuming we finish above them is an upgrade (or pick swap).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back