Recruiting AFL Trade & Free Agency XI - McKay. Goldstein. Gresham. Duursma!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would assume you use that salary on someone else?

But by doing this deal you keep your current draft capital.
We have 2m in cap space with Shiels salary on the books, salary isn't an issue and we don't need to shed it if it doesn't advantage us.

We can just give that playing time to someone else and cop the last 12 months of his deal.

Nah, we'd be offering somewhere in the realms of band 2. Also McStay is on less than 600k.
Most of the reports from last year had McStay on 5 x 600k / $3.0m. I know the media isn't always right with these things but who really knows.
Doesn't make sense for them. They want 13 to keep.
Probably agree but I don't think much makes sense for us bumping his salary to warrant a band 1 pick.

He'd be a band 2/3 pick between 19-33. Is where handing them 27 plus Shiel for free and paying some of his salary makes a little sense.

But don't know it makes a ton of sense for either tbh

I have heard a few rumblings that Ollie wines is unhappy.
we are perpetually linked to him.
I wonder if moving shiel on is to help make a play for wines
ollie had a poor year but was played out of position

Saints currently have pick 12.

After FS, Academy bids and priory picks that’s really pick 17/18 depending on what happens with sanders.

So band 1 compo for the saints for Gresham would net them pick 19 assuming North get sanders

So that reduces the value of that pick somewhat. Trading for close to pick 20 is much easier then trading for a pick close to pick 10.

Sending Sheil + pick to the Saints for FRP after paying some of Sheils salary is closer to the Tom Mitchell deal last season. It works for both clubs. Sheil as a player has positive trade value if his contract is adjusted to be team friendly.

Now St Kilda won’t want to be without a FRP this year as they will need one for the Henry trade. He would be their priority over Sheil for obvious reasons.

Given that the FA Compo system can be used to create an extra FRP for St kilda via paying band 1 for Gresham. If Essendon pay up for band 1 compo. In trading their FRP St Kilda would essentially be trading back 1 spot in the first round + giving up a 2nd round pick (expected Gresham compo)

So the actual expected trade value looks like this

Stkilda out: pick 12, 2nd round pick (expected Gresham compo)

Stkilda in: Pick 13 and Sheil (at a reduced contract)

Looks pretty fair for saints

For Essendon it’s

Essendon in Pick 12
Essendon out: Sheil + $$$ to pay some of Sheils contract + 750k/3years (to Gresham over what they were likely planning to + offer)

If you assume Sheil is worth a 2nd round pick then Essendon is basically paying $1M-1.5M to buy pick 18. It’s a lot of money but the club has it and it makes the team better

I have heard a few rumblings that Ollie wines is unhappy.
we are perpetually linked to him.
I wonder if moving shiel on is to help make a play for wines
ollie had a poor year but was played out of position

We are?

Dont think so.

There was one time were we rumored to chase wines as part of the fantasia trade but apart from that i dont recall him ever being linked to us.

We are?

Dont think so.

There was one time were we rumored to chase wines as part of the fantasia trade but apart from that i dont recall him ever being linked to us.
We are. Comes up every couple of years

Would take Wines in a heartbeat but daresay it'll be a steep price. Getting Shiel off the books would become more of a priority.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i guess only things youve heard matter hey

thats literally the time when fantasia went? Like i said outside of that i have not heard anything about us being linked with Wines.

Hinkley, saying we have been chasing him for 8 years seems laughable.

At the time of this Article (3 years ago) Ken had only been the Coach for 4 years at Port. So he's talking about us chasing Wines for 4 years before he wast even at the club? Please. Thats called mayonnaise, and I'd suggest he was liberal with it.

thats literally the time when fantasia went? Like i said outside of that i have not heard anything about us being linked with Wines.

Hinkley, saying we have been chasing him for 8 years seems laughable.

At the time of this Article (3 years ago) Ken had only been the Coach for 4 years. So he's talking about us chasing Wines for 4 years when he wasn't even at the club? Please. Thats called mayonnaise.
just google it bruv, theres heaps out there.

just google it bruv, theres heaps out there.

dunno, maybe just me.

i have not seen anything outside of the Fantasia discussion where i would say we are "linked" with wines.

Link would mean to me there's some type of smoke with a fire behind it. People on a forum saying they "heard something" doesn't quality as that IMO.

Not saying it is not possible but let’s remember that this whole Shiel thing has exploded due to Ralph saying Shiel is a player St.Kilda could be interested in .

dunno, maybe just me.

i have not seen anything outside of the Fantasia discussion where i would say we are "linked" with wines.

Link would mean to me there's some type of smoke with a fire behind it. People on a forum saying they "heard something" doesn't quality as that IMO.

Pretty well an open secret that we were busting for Wines in 2012, and it almost happened.

We held pick 10, Daniher didn't get bid on until pick 7, by Port, if the bid gets past Brisbane and Richmond we take Wines and Daniher.

Pretty well an open secret that we were busting for Wines in 2012, and it almost happened.

We held pick 10, Daniher didn't get bid on until pick 7, by Port, if the bid gets past Brisbane and Richmond we take Wines and Daniher.
Except Wines went at 7. Looking at that draft the only decent players taken between Daniher and Ashby were Viney (already bid on iirc), Stewart and Grundy (who we wouldn't have taken because of Bellcho and Ryder

Wines is pretty much cooked. Wouldn’t want to give up much value for him.
Is he actually though? Or is he just just an inside bull languishing out on a wing?

I don't watch enough Poort games to know or care, but still. Cripps has been cooked about 6 times and Coniglio's career finished a couple years ago, so you never know.

Except Wines went at 7. Looking at that draft the only decent players taken between Daniher and Ashby were Viney (already bid on iirc), Stewart and Grundy (who we wouldn't have taken because of Bellcho and Ryder

Yes, like I said, it almost happened, would have required Daniher not being bid on and then Wines sliding just that little bit further. I recall there being quite the furore over Port leaving hometown boys Mayes and Menzel on the table at that pick.

Wines is pretty much cooked. Wouldn’t want to give up much value for him.

We’d be swapping a 30 year old gun inside midfielder that’s been phased out onto a forward flank for a 28 year old inside midfielder that’s been phased out onto a forward flank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back