AFL Player #28: Xavier Duursma 🏹 - Hamstring - 3 to 4 weeks - 5/8

Archery or no archery?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Certainly proving to be the most important small as far as the way we set the ground up goes, we have looked an absolute mess since he got injured.

Miss him a great deal.

Certainly proving to be the most important small as far as the way we set the ground up goes, we have looked an absolute mess since he got injured.

Miss him a great deal.

We’ve also been trying to cover him with guys like Jake Kelly and Heppell, or Setterfield, or Tsatas.

Basically anything but a hard running wingman.

We’ve also been trying to cover him with guys like Jake Kelly and Heppell, or Setterfield, or Tsatas.

Basically anything but a hard running wingman.
All roads lead back to the same problem… who do you bring in that can play that role, and who do you then bring in to replace that person in the role they’re currently playing? Our depth is being tested.

All roads lead back to the same problem… who do you bring in that can play that role, and who do you then bring in to replace that person in the role they’re currently playing? Our depth is being tested,
The fact we have 3 small forwards in the VFL who cant force there way into the AFL despite our small forward woes shows how unbalanced the list is.

Turn 1 into a midfielder and we could potentially shift a Durham or Merret to the wing but we cant due to feet on he ground

Hoping they are being ultra conservative with him and he can come back ready to go like Ridley did.

Super important to our team. I maintain that having Durham, Duursma and Martin all out on the park is absolutely critical to us having a meaningful push to finals this year. They’re really re-shaped the fortunes of our club

Hoping they are being ultra conservative with him and he can come back ready to go like Ridley did.

Super important to our team. I maintain that having Durham, Duursma and Martin all out on the park is absolutely critical to us having a meaningful push to finals this year. They’re really re-shaped the fortunes of our club
totally agree with this.

i feel like he'd go unnoticed if he didn't get on the scoreboard reasonably regularly. he's fit, hard working and motivated to play well. he's a dire need out there for our success

totally agree with this.

i feel like he'd go unnoticed if he didn't get on the scoreboard reasonably regularly. he's fit, hard working and motivated to play well. he's a dire need out there for our success
Yep, and on top of his strengths, not having him out there is causing us to play others out of position. Eg Kelly.

We get him back and others will do better too.

Yep, and on top of his strengths, not having him out there is causing us to play others out of position. Eg Kelly.

We get him back and others will do better too.

I would have thought Martin to the wing and Kelly to defence would be the option they'd use, Duursma must have been more defensive running than I thought.

I would have thought Martin to the wing and Kelly to defence would be the option they'd use, Duursma must have been more defensive running than I thought.
he just runs up and down all game, is very accountable and very competitive

Duursma has been excellent with defensive running. I noticed this in the Saints and Pies games, would argue he saved the game against the saints, chased down Marshall from a fair way back when he was streaming into 50.
Against pies in the last qtr he laid a number of tackles / won loose ball contests on the wings to halt the pies surge.

Thought he and Hobbs were really under appreciated in the pies game for their desperate defensive/contested plays. Like Durham and Caldwell you know those two will scrap it out till the last moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if I’m giving him too much credit…..but it felt like we looked different after he went out and we looked better for him being back.

Need to watch the replay and a couple
More games but my sense is that he’s quite important to us structurally.

Loved seeing his attack on the footy today - the concussion stuff is behind him and he’s playing with all the flair he showed early days at PA.

Not sure if I’m giving him too much credit…..but it felt like we looked different after he went out and we looked better for him being back.

Need to watch the replay and a couple
More games but my sense is that he’s quite important to us structurally.

Loved seeing his attack on the footy today - the concussion stuff is behind him and he’s playing with all the flair he showed early days at PA.
We're immensely better with him in the side. We were trying Kelly & Menzie on the wing just to cover Duursmas defensive run. The arrow and attacking ability is great but its his ability to do that & defend at the same time that makes us a significantly better side with him in it

He is our Blake Acres, our Ed Langdon, our Isaac Smith - equivalent. And I’m not sure you can have an enough of these types on your list at present moment. So, so, so important for us

One of our most important players.

And one of the best trades we’ve made in years. BZT for Duursma and some trash picks. And we managed to upgrade BZTs position via FA.

One of our most important players.

And one of the best trades we’ve made in years. BZT for Duursma and some trash picks. And we managed to upgrade BZTs position via FA.
It was an astute piece of list management. His lack of consistency brought about by frequent injury was what I believe ultimately led to Port releasing him without much fuss. Hopefully we can get his body right and keep it right, he adds so much value to our side.

We’re about to see just how important he is

Voting Donald Trump GIF by NRDC

He is our Blake Acres, our Ed Langdon, our Isaac Smith - equivalent. And I’m not sure you can have an enough of these types on your list at present moment. So, so, so important for us
This.

When everyone else is running at 50%-60% it's these guys that are still running at 70%-80%.
Blake Acres is incredible at how he does it. Maybe racks up 7-8 disposals in a first half and then doubles it in the second half cos he's still going strong. These players get you over the line.

Last edited:
This.

When everyone else is running at 50%-60% it's these guys that are still running at 70%-80%.
Blake Acres is incredible at how he does it. Maybe racks up 7-8 disposals in a first half and then doubles it in the second half cops he's still going strong. These players get you over the line.
Look at how Caleb Windsor, Darcy Wilson and last year Ollie Hollands have hit the ground running. It’s just absolutely essential to have these types now.

Durham and Martin both have huge tanks, both had immediate impact when picked up. Keep bringing in these types!

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #28: Xavier Duursma 🏹 - Hamstring - 3 to 4 weeks - 5/8

Back