Mega Thread AFL uses Simonds Stadium for qualifying final

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A home final at the Cattery!!!
What next!... A train line to Waverley Park?
I'll see it when I believe it :rolleyes:

...All the same, any 2013 AFL media release not including the words 'Essendon' or 'Hird', is simply refreshing - Let's run with it!

Another point: how much money would the AFL make out of it being at KP?

The AFL would have some sort of existing deal with Etihad regarding division of revenue that they'd have to comply with. I imagine with KP it would be a clean slate, and I can't exactly imagine the GFC playing hardball regarding spilt of revenue if it meant an actual final was allowed to be held there.

have a wedding to attend that night. :thumbsdown:

And that sucks about the wedding. I'm still pissed I missed that Hawks match in July for a ****ing wedding. 1 in 2 marriages end in divorce. We'll have that win forever, lol.

you ppl miss football matches for weddings? havent been to wedding in years and thats the way i like it!:p

Even if it doesn't end up happening, the speculation has been worth it just for the bleating from other clubs. :D

The best they can come up with is "we weren't told Simonds could be a finals venue" as though that would have changed the way they approached the season! Of course, the sooking has nothing to do with our formidable record at the ground...

The only valid reason to prevent Geelong playing finals at Simonds is capacity. But the integrity of "home final" is worth preserving/creating for the sake of 10,000 people missing out on tickets.
Really unsettled the powers that be at Freo

http://is.gd/YpXT0g.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even the fact that this is being considered is great for Geelong. Huge thing to be able to bring up in future negotiations for redevelopments, now cooky just needs to stop this cutting out standing room sh*t and get the capacity over 40,000.

Quote from Freo's CEO
“It is inconceivable that a venue such as Simonds Stadium, with a capacity of 33,500 and which has not seen a crowd greater than 30,082 this season, and with an average of only 26,740 in 2013, would be considered for a game that is likely to attract 40,000 to 50,000 people, including several thousand people from Perth who would travel to Melbourne to see the game," Harris said.
I'd love to know Etihads average attendance this year. Wouldn't expect it to be much more than 35,000. With any sort of luck without reserved seat holders failing to show up we'd smash that 30,082 figure and get close to the actual capacity

I'm assuming that season seat holders would have to purchase tickets like everyone else yes?

(hypothetical obviously, I will believe a final at SS when I see it.)
Would assume season seat holders got 1st dibs on their seats...

We should be playing at KP. If it is Fremantle we should defiantly be playing at KP. How many Geelong fans get into Patersons if we had to travel there? Geelong earns right to host home final by finishing top 2. This earns Geelong the right to play at "home" for what should be 2 finals, seems logical to me because that's the system we have for finals. If we cant play at KP then logically the next best option given we finished top 2 is the MCG. If this isn't available then for whatever reason it should swing back to KP regardless of opposition.

This whole "We'll play anywhere" line needs to get the heave-ho as well (pun intended). Of course we will play anywhere, it goes without saying. But do you think Collingwood would say that in response to being shafted for finals scheduling? of course not. Eddie would indeed be everywhere in order to get the game moved to the MCG. We should be the same. CS saying in his presser that we would play at Newtown just makes us look weak. Stand up and say we want the final played at the MCG and if not there then KP is the ONLY other venue we want it played at. We earned it.

Also, in this, the only fans that matter are the 42,900 Geelong members, 33,000 of which will be able to attend the game. Fremantle fans shouldn't even come into the equation, don't even let the cheer squad in. We look to the NFL for inspiration yet ignore one of the best parts about it. When you play at home its in front of an almost 100% home crowd, NFL games have an amazing atmosphere as a result. No neutrals, or opposition fans even get a look in if they don't know someone that can get them in (season ticket holders of the team involved). We should be the same. If your not a member, too bad, the only people it really effects if we play at KP instead of the MCG or Docklands are the neutrals and theater goers. I attended the Geelong vs Freo elim final last year at the MCG and of the ~50,000 people there 10,000 to 15,000 had to be MCC + AFL neutrals. All we are talking about by playing at KP is these people not getting a look in for tickets. I don't have a problem with this.

Thats my 2 cents anyway.

Even the fact that this is being considered is great for Geelong. Huge thing to be able to bring up in future negotiations for redevelopments, now cooky just needs to stop this cutting out standing room sh*t and get the capacity over 40,000.

Quote from Freo's CEO
“It is inconceivable that a venue such as Simonds Stadium, with a capacity of 33,500 and which has not seen a crowd greater than 30,082 this season, and with an average of only 26,740 in 2013, would be considered for a game that is likely to attract 40,000 to 50,000 people, including several thousand people from Perth who would travel to Melbourne to see the game," Harris said.
I'd love to know Etihads average attendance this year. Wouldn't expect it to be much more than 35,000. With any sort of luck without reserved seat holders failing to show up we'd smash that 30,082 figure and get close to the actual capacity
Think it's more of a salve for Cats supporters than a realistic option as we speak. There would be an insurrection in the West if it happened.

No chance.
Surely the 10000 or whatever that have a reserved seat get the 1st option to lock it away... obviously paying extra for it?
I'm not expecting it to happen anyway but I would want to sit in my own seat if it did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back