AFL: Why do I have to sit in the bloody bleachers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's see ... you're not a club member, and you rarely to to games. But on the rare occasions you do you expect premium seating for the cost of an inexpensive GA seat.

I can't think why the AFL aren't bending over backwards to accommodate your very reasonable request ... :rolleyes:
This

/end

A) Level 1 and 2 of the Ponsford Stand are open for GA. I'm also fairly certain Level 2 of the Olympic is open for GA too, can't be sure about that one though.
B) You want a better seat then why not shell out a bit more cash and get one? There's General Admission, Reserved and Premium. Amazingly if you want something better than the cheapest option available you have to pay for it. Baffling concept I know.
C) Buy a membership.

I was a member till they decided we didn't need a stadium in Waverley and that Saturday arvo footy was not making them enough money and apparently a game of footy should be your only entertainment for the day. So didn't rejoin.

Then I moved to sunny Geelong early nineties and rejoined but got shit seats at Mcg and all the Sunday games annoyed me, its the whole actually "having a life" thing I suppose.

Now have a bung hip and I try to go to games with interstate teams so its not packed and i can park close and I STILL get bent over by the Afl and have to go behind Punt Road Goals on the third level.

So basically have retired from going to the footy. Ettihad is a good stadium but unless you are part of the inner circle you cant park close enough.

Ah well but at least our imperial leader can park their with all his mates in his 7 series Bmw (yes I still remember when you didnt let me out of my carpark in Collins St you arrogant prick) and you can take the glory for the Tv rights but for the little guy who just wants to go to the game at a moments notice when he feels like it well he can go and get stuffed I suppose.

i stopped being a member when all of a sudden about 10 years ago you had to purchase a seat in addition to your membership for the priviledge of sitting in the same post-code as the game. at the end of the day, i'd rather sit at home watching the game on TV, eating what i want to eat and drinking what i want to drink, both at the temperature that i want to eat and drink them at.

but both the AFL and MCC membership areas could be done a lot better, i think. particularly the AFL members area at the MCG, which is always empty and looks terrible on TV. just have members book a seat by 2 hours before the game, and bill them if they don't show up.

Some of you are fairly arrogant in assuming that all people can afford memberships. Perhaps some people would like to see one or two games a year, but because they live hand to mouth they cannot justify buying a membership.

Lucky for people who can afford them, but don't put down people who may not be able to and treat them as lesser beings saying "how dare they sit in the same area as me!"

Some of you are fairly arrogant in assuming that all people can afford memberships. Perhaps some people would like to see one or two games a year, but because they live hand to mouth they cannot justify buying a membership.

Lucky for people who can afford them, but don't put down people who may not be able to and treat them as lesser beings saying "how dare they sit in the same area as me!"

Thats life mate, I can't afford a Ferrari but that doesn't mean I should get one at a price I can afford. You get what you pay for.

Pfft try following Geelong, there is hardly any GA seating at SS and most of the time you end up having to stand (which I don't mind). Didn't you try finding some lower seats? Surely there would have been some if there's only 45k there.

I hear that. I was in Montreal earlier this year and i paid 70bucks to sit up the very back of the stadium.

2mnizjn.jpg
Certainly we have it easy here. We had to pay $40 a ticket to sit 5 rows from the back next to a large concrete wall to see the Raptors play, of coarse with a half empty crowd because a) the Winter Olympics were on and b) they were playing the super awesome Memphis Grizzlies who for those of you who won't follow NBA are essentially the Fremantle of basketball.

A) Level 1 and 2 of the Ponsford Stand are open for GA. I'm also fairly certain Level 2 of the Olympic is open for GA too, can't be sure about that one though.
B) You want a better seat then why not shell out a bit more cash and get one? There's General Admission, Reserved and Premium. Amazingly if you want something better than the cheapest option available you have to pay for it. Baffling concept I know.
C) Buy a membership.
The general admission areas at the MCG are different for each match. It is a horses-for-courses approach - whichever bays aren't sold as reserved seats pre-game are left as general admission. For the smaller games there is often a significant amount of general admission seating on Level M and some on Level N. For the large games, generally only some of Level Q is available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

there is minimal seating available on level one.

Unfrotunately for the fairweather supporters who cannot afford $8 per week, that means they will be sitting on the top deck.

C) Buy a membership.
Why the hell wasn't I told this???

All these years getting there early and sitting like a sucker on Level 3. :mad:

The Southern Stand bottom deck being half empty seems to be a major issue at Hawthorn home games. This would be due to their members not turning up on game day. Is this an area where you just show your membership & sit where you want or a yearly resreved seat area? If it's a reserved seat area fair enough because those people would've paid their $100-150 on top of a membership but if not Hawthorn should reduce this area to a more suitable size so more GA seats are available on ground level away team supporters or non members.

The Southern Stand bottom deck being half empty seems to be a major issue at Hawthorn home games. This would be due to their members not turning up on game day. Is this an area where you just show your membership & sit where you want or a yearly resreved seat area? If it's a reserved seat area fair enough because those people would've paid their $100-150 on top of a membership but if not Hawthorn should reduce this area to a more suitable size so more GA seats are available on ground level away team supporters or non members.
Reserved seat area.

I pay $500 dollars a year to be an MCC member, I try to go to every Pies game at the MCG and often go with friends even when the pies are not playing. I pay that $500 so I don't have to sit up the top.

I don't see why you should get the same privilege as me, just because the stadium is not at capacity. I understand not everyone can afford a membership be it by club, afl or mcc that is why general public seats are sold and why they are sold so cheaply.

You will struggle to find a professional sport out side of Australia that has such cheap tickets, thank your lucky stars mate.

I second this, I pay good money to be a member, I also had to wait until I was able to get my membership as well.

The weather yesterday would have been a major factor in many supporters staying at home (especially neutral MCC and AFL members). With two Melbourne-based, pretty much full-strength top four contenders locking horns at the MCG on a clear 18 degree night, 65,000 wouldn't have been out of the question. I'm pretty sure all clubs offer three game memberships now, which sounds ideal for you.

(Hell.... I would have been happy with a decent level 3 seat!!!)

Level 3 GA normally starts from Row J or K - they are decent seats (for level 3)

The sleazebags at the cricket club claim its the peoples ground, but as Wally found out its run for benefit of the $500 dollar a year toffs like the guy claiming to be a Collingwood supporter , a footy fan who joins a cricket club to go to the footy.

The MCC, the same bludgers who cop taxpayer subsidies year in, year out.

The peoples ground, dishonest & a misrepresentation accepted by the scone loving footy press afraid to criticise.

Shit must be tough nowdays if $500 suddenly makes you a "toff". Top tier of Pies membership is $800, and I imagine most clubs are around the same amount - I'd hate to know what you think of those members!

Pfft try following Geelong, there is hardly any GA seating at SS and most of the time you end up having to stand (which I don't mind). Didn't you try finding some lower seats? Surely there would have been some if there's only 45k there.

Certainly we have it easy here. We had to pay $40 a ticket to sit 5 rows from the back next to a large concrete wall to see the Raptors play, of coarse with a half empty crowd because a) the Winter Olympics were on and b) they were playing the super awesome Memphis Grizzlies who for those of you who won't follow NBA are essentially the Fremantle of basketball.
i would love to be able to stand up and watch the footy lkie the old days,try going to subi where you a fored to sit in your seat ,stand up and watch the game and you are quickly told to "sit in your seat please sir"you guys dont know hoe good youve got it over there,i go to vic regularly t watch footy.
p.s grizzlies the freo of the nba?i dont follow nba ,tell me more?

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL: Why do I have to sit in the bloody bleachers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back