Remove this Banner Ad

How do we still not know the compo from last seasons players lost to expansion

With the upcoming season starting in a week
We do know.

Adelaide: nothing
Brisbane: nothing
Fremantle: nothing
North Melb.: nothing

Carlton & Collingwood: depends on the new CBA (potential implications on national draft rules)

We do know.

Carlton & Collingwood: depends on the new CBA (potential implications on national draft rules)
They said there would be compo for players lost in that period to expansion…

Whilst the afl are nuffies they won’t go back on what they’ve said publicly

They said there would be compo for players lost in that period to expansion…

Whilst the afl are nuffies they won’t go back on what they’ve said publicly
No they didn't. "The AFLW List committee will determine any relevant compensation" is what they said. "Determine" doesn't mean "guarantee".

No they didn't. "The AFLW List committee will determine any relevant compensation" is what they said. "Determine" doesn't mean "guarantee".
Yeah but said the AFLW List committee will determine any “relevant compensation” after the PSP finishes and any compensation draft picks will be for the 2024 draft.

PSP has finished months ago

Haven’t heard a peep

You’d still expect them to come out and announce and give reason to why those teams are receiving nothing though (if that is the case)?

Otherwise the running of the comp is just a bit of a joke right?

Yeah but said the AFLW List committee will determine any “relevant compensation” after the PSP finishes and any compensation draft picks will be for the 2024 draft.

PSP has finished months ago

Haven’t heard a peep
They didn't say when they would announce it. And if part of the determination was to make the compo subject to the new CBA, that's actually pretty smart.

Anyway, a top 4 club isn't getting anything for Brooke Brown. It's crazy you haven't figured that out yet.

You’d still expect them to come out and announce and give reason to why those teams are receiving nothing though (if that is the case)?

Otherwise the running of the comp is just a bit of a joke right?
Carlton and Collingwood gifted inaugural licences. Carlton gifted 2019 grand final berth. Collingwood gifted 2020 finals berth.

Carlton and Collingwood have to wait a little longer to find out their next gift (for losing players they never should have had in the first place), and now suddenly the running of the comp is intolerable!

They didn't say when they would announce it. And if part of the determination was to make the compo subject to the new CBA, that's actually pretty smart.

Anyway, a top 4 club isn't getting anything for Brooke Brown. It's crazy you haven't figured that out yet.

Carlton and Collingwood gifted inaugural licences. Carlton gifted 2019 grand final berth. Collingwood gifted 2020 finals berth.

Carlton and Collingwood have to wait a little longer to find out their next gift (for losing players they never should have had in the first place), and now suddenly the running of the comp is intolerable!
Nah you’re right they’re running the comp normally

It’s totally reasonable and you can definitely see them in the men’s comp putting off announcing free agency compensation for months and months with no explanation at all as to why it isn’t being announced

Nah you’re right they’re running the comp normally

It’s totally reasonable and you can definitely see them in the men’s comp putting off announcing free agency compensation for months and months with no explanation at all as to why it isn’t being announced
Yep the way they handle FA compensation in the men's competition is perfect.

There is a reason this poster is on my ignore list Profop and Nostradamus78.

To answer a few of the items raised:

"Some clubs have been hit hard by the PSP and eagerly await Friday's compensation announcement,.."
The article was posted March 8. Therefore compo was to be announced Friday 10th March 2023.

"I support one of the established clubs. Will my team lose players for nothing?
While it definitely hurts to see players leave your club, it won't be for nothing."
"These compensation picks, which cannot be traded, will then be used to recruit young players coming straight out of the now unbroken talent pathways,.."

Note: The pathways are now broken again =
"There's a chance some of the very top talent – including Lauren Young, Shineah Goody, Laura Stone and Alyssia Pisano – could skip the draft entirely, eligible for pre-signing by expansion clubs."

Further notes on when compo was to be handed out:
"When will we know what that compensation looks like?
Compensation will be decided by the AFLW List Committee upon the conclusion of the PSP."

"Molloy will effectively be able to walk to the Swans, with any compensation to the Magpies (in the form of picks for the season nine draft, which will include top under-18 talent) to be decided upon by the AFL at the conclusion of the PSP."

"While McEvoy's exit is still a blow to fans, the Blues will receive compensation this time."

"Compensation – in the form of picks for the draft ahead of the 2024 season – will be decided upon by the AFL at the conclusion of the PSP period."

The whole PSP was f#cked up by the AFLW administrators and they still haven't figured out how they are going to dig themselves out of the hole they made.

"Some clubs have been hit hard by the PSP and eagerly await Friday's compensation announcement,.."
The article was posted March 8. Therefore compo was to be announced Friday 10th March 2023.
Been over this already. I pointed out at the time that particular article (which was not an official statement) was wrong. My reward for being right was apparently getting put on your malfunctioning ignore list (as if anybody cares).

The whole PSP was f#cked up by the AFLW administrators and they still haven't figured out how they are going to dig themselves out of the hole they made.
Looks to be working out pretty well. Sydney got their first win, in front of a packed NSO and on Ch7 in NSW, largely thanks to Chloe Molloy. What a player.

Been over this already. I pointed out at the time that particular article (which was not an official statement) was wrong. My reward for being right was apparently getting put on your malfunctioning ignore list (as if anybody cares).

Looks to be working out pretty well. Sydney got their first win, in front of a packed NSO and on Ch7 in NSW, largely thanks to Chloe Molloy. What a player.

"malfunctioning ignore list"
The blocker can pick and choose when to view posts from ignored people.

"I pointed out at the time that particular article (which was not an official statement) was wrong."
I statement was issued Feb 28, 2023, 5:12pm
"Thursday 9 March
  • PSP compensation determined"
So either the official statement and the article are incorrect or the AFLW administration are incompetent.

"malfunctioning ignore list"
The blocker can pick and choose when to view posts from ignored people.
I wouldn't know. Never used it.

"Thursday 9 March
  • PSP compensation determined"
So either the official statement and the article are incorrect or the AFLW administration are incompetent.
Statement: "compensation determined"
Article: "compensation announced"

I repeat, determined and announced aren't the same things. The incompetence is on the behalf of the reporter who made a basic error worthy of your average BigFooty poster.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't know. Never used it.

Statement: "compensation determined"
Article: "compensation announced"

I repeat, determined and announced aren't the same things. The incompetence is on the behalf of the reporter who made a basic error worthy of your average BigFooty poster.
So the AFLW have determined what (if any) compensation the clubs will receive but arn't going to tell the clubs/fans?

And the "incompetent reporter" is now on the Rising Star Nomination Panel with:
  1. AFLW General Manager
  2. AFL CEO
  3. Executive General Manager Football
  4. AFL Talent Ambassador
  5. AFL Football Projects Manager
Sure makes perfect sense.

So the AFLW have determined what (if any) compensation the clubs will receive but arn't going to tell the clubs/fans?

And the "incompetent reporter" is now on the Rising Star Nomination Panel with:
  1. AFLW General Manager
  2. AFL CEO
  3. Executive General Manager Football
  4. AFL Talent Ambassador
  5. AFL Football Projects Manager
Sure makes perfect sense.
I have a hunch they'll announce it before the next draft.

What does one thing have to do with the other. The reporter made a mistake, evidenced by the fact the announcement hasn't happened.

Glaringly, the reporter hasn't even acknowledged the mistake in her article, evidently doesn't feel the need to keep readers informed (if covering it competently, she would've written a new article saying something like "while some expected the AFL would make an announcement on Friday, they have decided to reveal it closer to the draft before the 2024 season").

I have a hunch they'll announce it before the next draft.

What does one thing have to do with the other. The reporter made a mistake, evidenced by the fact the announcement hasn't happened.

Glaringly, the reporter hasn't even acknowledged the mistake in her article, evidently doesn't feel the need to keep readers informed (if covering it competently, she would've written a new article saying something like "while some expected the AFL would make an announcement on Friday, they have decided to reveal it closer to the draft before the 2024 season").
Or the AFL could have come out with a statement to clear it up themselves? You know seeing they run the competition

Really don’t see why there’s a need to white knight the AFL administration on this. It’s glaringly subpar

Or the AFL could have come out with a statement to clear it up themselves?
They did come out with a statement. It said compensation would be determined after the PSP, and it will include draft picks to be used in the AFLW Draft leading into Season Nine of the AFLW.

They did come out with a statement. It said compensation would be determined after the PSP, and it will include draft picks to be used in the AFLW Draft leading into Season Nine of the AFLW.
Right and what parameters since the PSP could be applicable between now and the draft that would prevent them from announcing what the compensation is going to be?

Right and what parameters since the PSP could be applicable between now and the draft that would prevent them from announcing what the compensation is going to be?
Asked and answered, earlier on this page. The first round of the next draft could be fully national. It will depend on CBA negotiations.

So their options are to announce the hypothetical compensation they've determined ("if it's state based then Collingwood get pick 5, if it's national then Collingwood get pick 10"), or to keep it simple and wait for the CBA to be finalised.

Are you saying you have behind the scenes knowledge and the below scenario has been 'determined' with only small caveats on Carlton/Collingwood draft positions? Otherwise how do we know this?

We do know.

My feeling is they are waiting to see how this season plays out, as well as the CBA and who will actually be available in the draft given various concessions above, before determining it.

Are you saying you have behind the scenes knowledge and the below scenario has been 'determined' with only small caveats on Carlton/Collingwood draft positions? Otherwise how do we know this?

My feeling is they are waiting to see how this season plays out, as well as the CBA and who will actually be available in the draft given various concessions above, before determining it.
It's not about behind the scenes knowledge. It's about reading the writing on the wall.

The AFL want an even competition, so they're not going to contradict that by giving meaningful compo to the historically stronger clubs for losing their 10th best player (see last season's B&F counts). At best they'll get late draft picks for Bodey/Saint/Brown/Cuthbertson, i.e. nothing.

Maybe Brisbane get something meaningful for Bates, but certainly not if the draft remains state based.

It's not about behind the scenes knowledge. It's about reading the writing on the wall.

The AFL want an even competition, so they're not going to contradict that by giving meaningful compo to the historically stronger clubs for losing their 10th best player (see last season's B&F counts). At best they'll get late draft picks for Bodey/Saint/Brown/Cuthbertson, i.e. nothing.

Maybe Brisbane get something meaningful for Bates, but certainly not if the draft remains state based.
I totally agree with your assessment of the likely compensation. I'm querying whether it's actually been 'determined', even internally and silently and with caveats, yet.

I think it's pretty clear the AFL put their mouth before their money and said they'd determine at a certain time, then did not determine. It's fine, I don't think it's a big deal, I think they're doing their best to get an even competition. I just don't see the point of endlessly litigating wording to make it seem like the AFL didn't change their minds/backtrack/decide to hold their horses.

To me, both of these reasons seem legitimate justifications to hold off finalising / announcing compensation:

1. The CBA negotiations which might alter the value of any compensation announced now (i.e. the degree the AFLW moves to a full national draft)
  2. The actual degree of existing competitive balance as revealed by outcomes this season (i.e. the season that was always going to occur before any compensation would be realised anyway)
I can't really make sense, beyond accounting for obtuseness, as to why people would think that a strong degree of pragmatism is not required at this point in the development of a fledging league.

My feeling is that it would have been announced by now if it was only victorian clubs but the fact that Brisbane lost two AA players threw a spanner in.

Collingwood, Carlton, North and Fremantle (Cuthbertson was a low draft pick) all getting draft compensation works in theory.
Brisbane and less so Adelaide getting draft compensation does not work as evenly though given the implications of state based drafts.

Now with the extension (from 2 to 3 drafts) of the pre-signing three players from their women's academies for Essendon, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide and Sydney it all gets even harder.

Say Adelaide got the No. 1 pick in the SA draft as compensation they could have picked Lauren Young as the best SA talent.
With the new rule changes they would now only be able to get the forth best SA talent.

It's even worse for the Victorian clubs with potentially six of the best talent being taken (More if they nominate for the open draft).

The whole thing is a shambles and the fact that they haven't said anything to me shows that the haven't figured out how they are going to resolve it.

There are also side issues such as the McClelland Trophy and $1M at stake that is being determined by the AFLW administrations changes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back