Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Scott Gowans in an interview last year, well before the season started (probably before the fixture came out), said something to the effect of "we want to play against the best teams and get a proper gauge of where we're really at".

I thought he was saying something obvious that everybody would understand, but apparently not. And once again I have to bring up the quote a few weeks ago from Michael Prior about how "this isn't junior footy".
Yeah that was a theme with him for both the Geelong and Brisbane games in round 2 and 3 this year too.

When’s the aflw draft this year?

What’s the go with train on players noticed tigers played one on the weekend? How many injuries do you need to be allowed to play a train on?
There was some talk a week or two ago that they were hoping to have the draft a few weeks before Christmas so everyone involved can have a stress free Christmas break. I haven't heard anything since.

I truly don't get how that's a suspension.

Ok I'll explain it for you.

It's not a suspension when Erin Phillips or Kiara Bowers does it.

Always been a suspension when Prespakis (Maddy or Georgie) does it.

Hardly Madisons fault that Hoskin tried to run right through her. Was all Hoskins momentum.
But it looks like Prespakis had both arms locked, although not tightly.

I truly don't get how that's a suspension.

how the **** did that get a suspension?

Actually, let me re-word that.

why the **** did the MRO waste his time even watching that?

Maddie’s one match ban has been overturned, she’s free to play Sunday
Half the issue with this is the richmond player didn't raise the arms (general technique for most footballers)

At the same time though, arms down and hits the head, similar to Tamara Smith on Toogood which also got a week.
Perhaps the hawks should've appealed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should I be able to watch the Dogs v Swans on the AFLW App in Canada, because it is not currently working
Tends to just be the replay made available internationally.

There has to be a better way of dealing with reserves players. At the moment, the Suns and Lions reserves players just play eachother every week. Surely this isn't sustainable!

There is - play the season in winter when the local comps are on. Still has the issue that the Victorians have a much better quality VFLW vs the AFL Sydney comp, but at least it's something.

I don't think a full fledged reserves competition, out of season to be aligned with the current summerish AFLW, would work as long as it's all still a semi professional league.

Reserves comps even with AFLM-sized lists still require a lot of train-on players, and I think you'd struggle to have sufficient train-on players healthy and interested in playing for stuff-all money, into November, straight after a full local season. That's even assuming they can maintain access to grounds, especially in Sydney and Brisbane where nearly everything becomes cricket.

AFL have said more growth and change is linked to TV revenue and crowds.
That’s what they’re saying publicly.

IMO it seems short another 5 players per team and another two games in the H/A.
Hopefully the revenue keeps building and things shift sooner rather than later.
A few players breaking down puts more pressure on the rest of the squad and raises the chance of more players breaking down.

Keeping the best players on the park is the way to the better spectacle you’d think.

AFL have said more growth and change is linked to TV revenue and crowds.
That’s what they’re saying publicly.

IMO it seems short another 5 players per team and another two games in the H/A.
A degree of growth is dependent on crowds and TV ratings. There is still a guaranteed increase regardless, with the season to be a minimum of 11 rounds next year and 12 in 2025.

They haven't made any statement in the CBA about potential increases to list size, except to say:
"As soon as practicable following execution of this Agreement but no later than 30 June 2024, the Parties agree to conduct a review of AFLW List and AFLW Player management structure."

Not sure if the best thread for this, but cool vision out of Kanagawa

Move over #4, there's a new jet in town (and by in town, I mean 8,000km away, hahah)

Picked up a footy for the first time (has a background in basketball), just turned 18 and is doing things like this on sand in school shoes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back