Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a very interesting article. Seems as though Bec Goddard may have been out of her depth. Refreshing to read compared to the usual fluff pieces. Yes I realise Goddard is a premiership coach but the comp has evolved alot since then.

What Hawks should look for in next coach - What Hawks should look for in next coach

This is a very interesting article. Seems as though Bec Goddard may have been out of her depth. Refreshing to read compared to the usual fluff pieces. Yes I realise Goddard is a premiership coach but the comp has evolved alot since then.

What Hawks should look for in next coach - What Hawks should look for in next coach
Adelaide's gameplan under Goddard was simple direct footy, when you can take ground, take as much as you can, then on turnover, defend like crap. Just drive the ball forward.
It was a gam plan ideally suited to the first year or 2 of the AFLW.
It's also a game plan you see in community footy.

So, either Goddard was on the ball, and expertly crafted a game plan ideally designed for the strength and weaknesses of AFLW at the time.

Or, simple and direct community footy was all she knew.

On SM-X200 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Adelaide's gameplan under Goddard was simple direct footy, when you can take ground, take as much as you can, then on turnover, defend like crap. Just drive the ball forward.

So, either Goddard was on the ball, and expertly crafted a game plan ideally designed for the strength and weaknesses of AFLW at the time.

You've summed that up perfectly. 👍

It's a bit of both. I think that style of play is probably all Goddard knew... however, I think she was smart enough to recognise that trying to play AFLW "like the men" was a fraught proposition in the first season. Brisbane and Melbourne were able to do it to an extent, but nobody else was close, and least of all the Crows.

So forget trying to pinpoint targets, or going for quick switches in defence, or trying to move the ball through traffic by hand... just stick your talent (ie Phillips, Perkins, to a lesser extent Holmes) near the goals, and then get everyone else scrum the ball forward, or create another stoppage. It was smart thinking and it worked - for one season, anyway. The introduction of the "last touch" rule in 2018 really hurt that gameplan, especially as it applied all over the ground that year. The number of times the Crows won the ball and booted it forward to nobody, only to have it trickle over the boundary line for a free against... made me tear my hair out!

The most valuable aspect of Goddard's coaching was that she is a culture builder. For the Crows, who were spread over two distinct playing groups (SA and NT) in those first few seasons, it was vital to have someone like that who could get everyone on-side, having fun, and loving their footy, while also setting standards. I'm sure Goddard was very valuable in that culture-building role for Hawthorn too as they started up. But eventually the culture is set, and the value of that kind of coach diminishes. Now it's time for them to move to a more tactical coach.

Last edited:
Finals are different. Melbourne beat Geelong by 49 points in the H&A season and they just lost a close prelim to them.

Adelaide also happen to be the winningest team in AFLW finals history. I wouldn't be confident if I were you.
Looks like I was right and you were wrong

Flagroos

I thought we played average and still looked the better team for most of the day

Looks like I was right and you were wrong

Flagroos

I thought we played average and still looked the better team for most of the day
Correct... by 1 point. Sort of did everything they could to keep the Crows in it in that fourth quarter but in the end did enough to hang on. I wasn't overly impressed by either winning team this weekend so I'm not really sure who to tip in the GF.

Livingstone to finish up at end of year. She oversaw alot. Probably an unpopular opinion on this board but I don't think she was that outstanding. Better candidates could have done a better job. But she gave it a go and didn't get sacked or disgrace herself so that's something. Hopefully the next CEO is selected on merit regardless of gender. Having a male is not a step backwards if he's the best person for the job at this time. But there's a couple of women in AFL that could get it too.

Livingstone to finish up at end of year. She oversaw alot. Probably an unpopular opinion on this board but I don't think she was that outstanding. Better candidates could have done a better job. But she gave it a go and didn't get sacked or disgrace herself so that's something. Hopefully the next CEO is selected on merit regardless of gender. Having a male is not a step backwards if he's the best person for the job at this time. But there's a couple of women in AFL that could get it too.
She's not the CEO. Andrew Dillon is.

Her job is to speak to the media, and meet with sponsors and politicians. And therefore she has done her job fine enough. The new GM won't be in charge of making strategic decisions, either.

She's not the CEO. Andrew Dillon is.

Her job is to speak to the media, and meet with sponsors and politicians. And therefore she has done her job fine enough. The new GM won't be in charge of making strategic decisions, either.
Maybe they'll cherry pick the female that is happy to do the same. Everyone wins.

Maybe they'll cherry pick the female that is happy to do the same. Everyone wins.
I'm expecting similar replacement options like Alisa Camplin and Belinda Clark to be among the first people approached, although it would be surprising if either of those two specific examples took it on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone confirm that they will no longer refer to seasons as s6 s7 but 2023 premiers and so on?
Obviously because of the 2 seasons in a year but I was hoping it wasn't going to be a regular reference. Was just looking on mon Conti's Wikipedia which said AA 19, 21,s6,s7,23

Occasionally it's 2023 Season 8 for the sake of unavoidable robotic consistency:

aflwstatspage.jpg

Sometimes it'll be slipped in for no reason (like when some award recipients were being announced on Monday, but then again the whole presentation of the night was a farce).

For the most part (such as on cups and medals, promotional material and official documentation) it isn't being referred to as Season 8. Particularly compared to 2022 Season 7, when the distinction was necessarily always made.

Article on the recent interview with Livingstone about why they played the GF at Princes Park.
I think whilst they are lucky the stadium can fit 13,500 it's not ideal for the home of women's football. I haven't thought too much about it but a 30k boutique stadium is needed. Marvel had a permanent stink about it. 50k is too much for the women. A dedicated home of women's football. Could probably play a handful of AFL games their aswell. Like I said haven't thought too hard on it and I'm sure there's 100 reasons why not but just floating the idea. Either that or Arden st redevelopment could be boosted to 20k if there's room.

Article on the recent interview with Livingstone about why they played the GF at Princes Park.
I think whilst they are lucky the stadium can fit 13,500 it's not ideal for the home of women's football. I haven't thought too much about it but a 30k boutique stadium is needed. Marvel had a permanent stink about it. 50k is too much for the women. A dedicated home of women's football. Could probably play a handful of AFL games their aswell. Like I said haven't thought too hard on it and I'm sure there's 100 reasons why not but just floating the idea. Either that or Arden st redevelopment could be boosted to 20k if there's room.
The AFL's no.1 plan is to get more funding for Ikon Park to finish off all the work that needs to be done, bring it back up to a ~25k capacity venue (as I said in the GF thread, shouldn't just be about refurbishing the condemned stands but also a realignment of the playing surface to create more space on the western end of the ground, i.e. right of screen).

They would certainly also like to take over North Port Oval and build that up more, but it's proving far too difficult to provide the cricket club with a viable place to move.

No chance of anything significant happening in the way of spectator facilities at Arden Street.

The AFL's no.1 plan is to get more funding for Ikon Park to finish off all the work that needs to be done, bring it back up to a ~25k capacity venue (as I said in the GF thread, shouldn't just be about refurbishing the condemned stands but also a realignment of the playing surface to create more space on the western end of the ground, i.e. right of screen).

They would certainly also like to take over North Port Oval and build that up more, but it's proving far too difficult to provide the cricket club with a viable place to move.

No chance of anything significant happening in the way of spectator facilities at Arden Street.
If it's possible and they can bring it up to scratch and somehow allow people to sit where the Carlton building is that'd be ideal. Are they planning on reducing thee length of the oval for that to happen? Bringing north Port oval up to 25k would be awesome to see. Similar to Eureka with some standing room and hills but stands that go 3qtrs of the way around.

If it's possible and they can bring it up to scratch and somehow allow people to sit where the Carlton building is that'd be ideal. Are they planning on reducing thee length of the oval for that to happen?
Well I know they want to restore the Gardiner Stand.

But the idea of moving the ground 10m east is coming purely from me. The ground length wouldn't need to change. By rotating its orientation slightly and removing the dilapidated lower tier of the Legends Stand, it would actually create more space for seating than there currently is--much bigger and steeper bays of seating could then fit in front of the gym and admin buildings.

I'd like the goals to be brought in 20m or so each end. And make it a 30m arc to make it easier to score for the women.
Not being patronising but the kick length just isn't there and it makes it a different game.
I'd like people to learn that shortening the ground by 20m doesn't make it easier to score.
Not being patronising but the awareness of the stats just isn't there from people who make that suggestion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back