Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s a shame that the AFL are treating the women’s league this way. Women should perhaps collectively ditch the AFL competition in its current form and play in the VFLW league. That way they play a more appropriate length competition for a full season and during the winter, rather than in 30 degree heat. At least until the AFL remove their heads from their arses and give them some respect.
But then they would have to take a huge pay cut

The problem is the attitude that the AFLW needs to be in its own window to capture public interest,

That's just the reality. Finals aside, it can't compete with the main competition, and it's not in the AFL's interest to try. Reckon the medium term plan here is 2 conferences of 7 each after the expansion to 14 teams.

The eventual smart move (if the league becomes financially viable enough to support it) will be a split season that starts in September/October before breaks through December and January.

Don't mind the 6 game plus 2 weeks of finals idea. This is still a new comp trying to find it's feet and improve its standard.

Have a 8 week season to get as much media coverage it can without any other sport on (or not much). Each year by end 3 or 4 interest wanes to almost non existent unless you are a diehard fan or family member of a player.

Use it to showcase the best of women's footy. Then after the season is done they go back to vflw for example and play a full season, all players get the chance to play loads of footy and hopefully improve skills etc.

If anything they should have scrapped a few teams rather than add teams to get rid of players who are not up to standard and thus improve the standard and make it a better spectacle.

Afterall this is designed to get girls into footy. 8 weeks is enough to wet the appetite and get girls down to local footy and by the time these new kids are 18 the comp might be able to stand on its on two feet as a successful comp.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I see no downsides for letting the competition overlap with the men's season. As long as the Grand Final is given a bit of space in the calander.
Public interest & media attention on the AFLW will be obliterated if it is ever played simultaneously with the JLT or AFL games.

The problem with AFLW at the moment is that the game needs time to build but the current crop of players want it all to happen immediately so they can make their buck out of it. I have no doubt that in 20 years or so, it'll be a strong, vibrant full-length season competition played by women who have played junior footy since Auskick and the under 9s.

The problem with AFLW at the moment is that the game needs time to build but the current crop of players want it all to happen immediately so they can make their buck out of it. I have no doubt that in 20 years or so, it'll be a strong, vibrant full-length season competition played by women who have played junior footy since Auskick and the under 9s.

A competition might struggle to build when it gets cut back in its expansion years, alienates its players, alienates its supporter base and makes the competition less appealing to play in for prospective players in junior footy by treating it with this kind of disrespect. If the AFL wanted to take it slow, they shouldn't be expanding the comp so quickly. Their messaging is all over the shop and they're losing goodwill like crazy. Any success the AFLW has had so far has come from the players and the clubs, and I think it's unfair to suggest the players are upset with the AFL because they want to get paid. They're the ones putting in the hard yards on this and the AFL is doing stuff-all to reciprocate.

Nine pinched the tennis off Seven when they lost the cricket rights so, if anything, Seven will have more gaps in their schedule to fill with AFLW and other programming rather than less.

7 have tennis next year before giving it up in 2020, so there is an overlap where they have both, no doubt the cause of the discussions for a shorter competition with the two extra teams.

A competition might struggle to build when it gets cut back in its expansion years, alienates its players, alienates its supporter base and makes the competition less appealing to play in for prospective players in junior footy by treating it with this kind of disrespect. If the AFL wanted to take it slow, they shouldn't be expanding the comp so quickly. Their messaging is all over the shop and they're losing goodwill like crazy. Any success the AFLW has had so far has come from the players and the clubs, and I think it's unfair to suggest the players are upset with the AFL because they want to get paid. They're the ones putting in the hard yards on this and the AFL is doing stuff-all to reciprocate.

losing goodwill like crazy. Over something not formally announced, no final decision reached and people freaking out over leaks.

7 have tennis next year before giving it up in 2020, so there is an overlap where they have both, no doubt the cause of the discussions for a shorter competition with the two extra teams.

I'm pretty sure I read that they sold next year's rights to 9 for $45m.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty sure I read that they sold next year's rights to 9 for $45m.
Ah, fair enough.

Well then, if Channel 7 retains the aflw rights there is no reason not to start the season two weeks earlier, or one week earlier on Australia Day, with the tennis finals starting later at night after the opening AFLW match.

Personally I'm hoping Channel 10 tried to go for them to make up for the loss of the wbbl. I'm not sure if they'll be interested with their new american owners, but some competition for football broadcasting would be nice, might shake up the existing coverage by channel 7 if they have someone else potentially bidding next time, forcing them to improve.

Ah, fair enough.

Well then, if Channel 7 retains the aflw rights there is no reason not to start the season two weeks earlier, or one week earlier on Australia Day, with the tennis finals starting later at night after the opening AFLW match.

7 have the BBL which runs every night. They don't have all the matches, but they have enough to make avoiding a clash virtually impossible.

Like everything they touch

This smells, should of been

State of origin
Vic vic metro sa wa nsw qld nt tas
With draft on excess

Spring comp.
Start week after GF, nine rounds, then two weeks of finals before before Xmas.
Avoid clash with tennis and most bbl, avoids the really hot weather.
With more teams you could start the bye week before finals.

Play from early January as has been suggested.....imagine early rounds at major beach holiday locations around the country....Sorrento,Lorne,Rosebud,Glenelg,Coffs Harbour,Sunshine Coast,Batemans Bay,Cottesloe...play from 6pm..plenty of light.

Spring comp.
Start week after GF, nine rounds, then two weeks of finals before before Xmas.
Avoid clash with tennis and most bbl, avoids the really hot weather.
With more teams you could start the bye week before finals.
The issue there is AFLW is starting only a couple of weeks after the state leagues finish.
Currently, players are playing the state leagues season, play through to finals, have a month or 2 off, then into preseason for AFLW, into AFLW season, then its back to state leagues. If they need a break, they miss the start of the state leagues, returning to footy mid season.

If the season is a spring season, its straight from state league finals into AFLW. To have time for an AFLW preseason and work on structures, and to recover from niggles from the state leagues, they need to miss the finish of the state leagues (and finals).

Full length of the state leagues, plus finals plus AFLW is maybe a bit longer than AFL (havent done the math), the issue is fitting in the AFLW preseason, and enough time to get over injuries before AFLW. Clubs complain that with limited contact time, preseason isnt long enough to get everything done they need as it is. Logistically it works much better having AFLW first, then state leagues rather than vice versa.

The issue there is AFLW is starting only a couple of weeks after the state leagues finish.
Currently, players are playing the state leagues season, play through to finals, have a month or 2 off, then into preseason for AFLW, into AFLW season, then its back to state leagues. If they need a break, they miss the start of the state leagues, returning to footy mid season.

If the season is a spring season, its straight from state league finals into AFLW. To have time for an AFLW preseason and work on structures, and to recover from niggles from the state leagues, they need to miss the finish of the state leagues (and finals).

Full length of the state leagues, plus finals plus AFLW is maybe a bit longer than AFL (havent done the math), the issue is fitting in the AFLW preseason, and enough time to get over injuries before AFLW. Clubs complain that with limited contact time, preseason isnt long enough to get everything done they need as it is. Logistically it works much better having AFLW first, then state leagues rather than vice versa.

This would be an option if it was accepted that the aflw were to no longer play (at least many games) in the state league.

If you got to that point, even when we are at 14 teams, you could start in the pre finals bye week and then play On sundays through September, then through October, November with three weeks of finals finishing in mid December

This would be an option if it was accepted that the aflw were to no longer play (at least many games) in the state league.

If you got to that point, even when we are at 14 teams, you could start in the pre finals bye week and then play On sundays through September, then through October, November with three weeks of finals finishing in mid December
Your right, ideally you would have a situation where players were AFLW players, not state league players. This is not really practical now, or for some time to come. AFLW is to short, and does not run concurrent to the state leagues, and the state leagues are to dependant on AFLW players, although this is already diminishing. VFLW has expanded, and a number of AFLW players haven't played at all, or have only played a small number of games.

Personally, I think they are to afraid of overlapping the mens comp. I would start in the summer, but extend it into the mens season. Either schedule home games when the men are playing out of town, or have double headers. This means for a part of the season, AFLW runs when the state leagues are playing, which lets unselected players play to find form.

Most of the state leagues are 14 games. Start April and finals are done in July. Plenty of time.

Be interesting to see the women's teams form a breakaway comp (obviously they can't use the current AFL team licences / mascots) but it might be the best thing for them. Potentially TV could be handled through a public broadcaster such as ABC / SBS that has a clear community mandate. Government could (and probably should) make it clear that they expect reasonable access to ground outside of the current AFL commitments. To be blunt, it may not be the worst thing for the mens sport as well if other broadcasters and an alternative league structure got off the ground. The AFL commission and hierarchy have been borderline anti supporter for years. This may just shake them out of their belief that they know all and should be able to call all the shots with our sport.

Be interesting to see the women's teams form a breakaway comp (obviously they can't use the current AFL team licences / mascots) but it might be the best thing for them. Potentially TV could be handled through a public broadcaster such as ABC / SBS that has a clear community mandate. Government could (and probably should) make it clear that they expect reasonable access to ground outside of the current AFL commitments. To be blunt, it may not be the worst thing for the mens sport as well if other broadcasters and an alternative league structure got off the ground. The AFL commission and hierarchy have been borderline anti supporter for years. This may just shake them out of their belief that they know all and should be able to call all the shots with our sport.
It has zero chance of working, and looks to be getting pushed by Kate O`Hallaran, who I haven't seen have a good word for anybody ever. A somewhat delusional sniper from the stands. It will get limited to no sponsor support, I suspect limited player support, and beyond those purely involved in womens footy because of its gender war aspects, limited fan support. I cannot help wondering where we would be if Lethlean was still head of football, and not Hocking, I doubt he would be so Bull in a China shop about everything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice AFL Womens - General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back