AFL Womens pay increases for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Total player payments will increase by $500,000 next year under a revised tiered payment system that sees the minimum wage of a senior listed player rise from $8,500 to $10,500.

Tier 1 players have received an 17.6 per cent bump, from $17,000 to $20,000, tier 2 rises from $12,000 to $14,500 (up 20 per cent) while the base wage is now $10,500, up from $8500 (up 23 per cent).

Last season’s $8500 base wage was calculated pro-rata on an AFL male rookie wage of $29.32 an hour.

The base wage on the current deal was due to increase from $8500 to $9276, tier 2 $12,000 to $12,846 and from $17,000 to $17,946 for tier one players.

The players will now commit 13-15 hours per week during pre-season and 10 hours in season. Match day hours are on top of the 10-hour week.

Clubs also have a marquee budget they can allocate to their most marketable players, ranging from $5000 to $10,000 per player, with a cap of $40,000 per team.

Players have signed 24-week contracts, which includes two weeks of annual leave.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...n/news-story/b919a9cc29d0fa24f43a9f99dd7a2be4

Infographic_2017_AFLW-01-1-777x437.jpg

That's fantastic. Not very sustainable though if the AFL can't get supporters to pay to watch a game.
How so?

And what do you mean, can't get supporters to pay to watch a game?

You make it sound like they tried to get supporters to pay, and failed. They haven't tried. That should tell you something.

I got a Freo women's membership 2017, and didn't get the pack until 2018 because they were totally unprepared for the demand, and women's membership doesn't get you anything other than a card, and a certificate, and I don't even follow Freo.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

No need to be offended by my comment. I fully support AFLW. I am just of the opinion that the AFL are digging a hole in regards to the amount of money they are spending on a league that is not generating any revenue.

I would rather them spend the money developing womens junior leagues around the country so that the quality of AFLW improves dramatically in the near future.

You are right the AFL has never put a price on a ticket which makes the most recent stats a worry (Vic vs Allies). No other games were on that weekend and they only got a crowd of 9,000, they expected at least 20,000. What size crowd would they have got if it had cost money to enter?

Thats great that you are a member and their was a high demand. I am looking forward to becoming a member of the Geelong womens team. I hope it all turns out to be a huge success but I have my reservations about how it is being handled.

No need to be offended by my comment. I fully support AFLW. I am just of the opinion that the AFL are digging a hole in regards to the amount of money they are spending on a league that is not generating any revenue.

I would rather them spend the money developing womens junior leagues around the country so that the quality of AFLW improves dramatically in the near future.

You are right the AFL has never put a price on a ticket which makes the most recent stats a worry (Vic vs Allies). No other games were on that weekend and they only got a crowd of 9,000, they expected at least 20,000. What size crowd would they have got if it had cost money to enter?

Thats great that you are a member and their was a high demand. I am looking forward to becoming a member of the Geelong womens team. I hope it all turns out to be a huge success but I have my reservations about how it is being handled.

Nobody expects that gate takings will ever be a significant revenue source to support AFLW pay. It will be sponsorship (already quite a bit coming in) and media rights where the serious money will be.

The AFL is investing heavily in development of junior female footy and pathways

Nobody expects that gate takings will ever be a significant revenue source to support AFLW pay. It will be sponsorship (already quite a bit coming in) and media rights where the serious money will be.

The last Tv Rights never included the AFLW so it will be interesting to see the increase in the next lot with the AFLW included.

Gate takings are a significant part of Mens pay so one would think down the track that would be the case also? Or do you think it will really just be a TV product?

Gate takings are a significant part of Mens pay so one would think down the track that would be the case also? Or do you think it will really just be a TV product?

They are in the AFL (mens) but the AFL gets a disproportionately large share of its professional revenues from attendance and membership compared to most other pro sports I'm aware of.

The AFL will value large crowds over the likely modest revenues that could get potentially monetising entry. Enough people may ultimately voluntarily pay (ie through memberships) that the AFL never attempts to charge entry

They should be paid based on how much money they're bringing in. If the competition continues to be a massive success then salaries can go up to match it.

Incorrect, their pay per hour goes down, they're just now being paid for what was unpaid overtime last season. I'd suggest changing the title of this thread, given it is incorrect.
http://[NB: girlsplayfooty domain h...ayments-for-2018-dont-call-it-a-pay-rise.html

Had they decided to scratch further than the surface before so boldly proclaiming the victory for the AFLW, they will have discovered that the players are contracted for more hours for significantly less income per hour.

In 2017, AFLW players were contracted for 24 weeks at an average of 11 contact hours per week at the club. We can work out that in total, players were each paid for approximately 264 hours for the season.

After a post-season review, it was discovered that players were well exceeding their nine contracted contact hours, hence the payment review.

In 2018, AFLW players will still be contracted for 24 weeks, and will now spend on average 15 hours per week at the club throughout the duration of their contracts. We can work out that in total, players will be paid for approximately 360 hours across the season.

Immediately that should ring alarm bells: a 36 per cent increase in contracted hours, but only a 20.96 per cent increase in total player payments.

By using the average total hours of 264 for 2017 and 360 for 2018, and knowing that the AFLW functions as a second job for the majority of players and hence incurs higher tax rates, the average hourly rate for players in fact decreases by an average 13 per cent in 2018.

Players on the base payment who earned an average of $24.92 per hour in 2017 will earn an average of $21.96 per hour in 2018.

On top of the contracted 360 hours at clubs and for match days, players are also expected to complete 20 hours of appearances throughout the duration of their contract.

Players will not be remunerated separately for the additional 20 hours, which would push the hourly rate even lower.

Hopefully the 2019 payment agreements are much higher, compatible to the recent Netball Australia payrise, which was in reponse to the creation of AFLW to stop codehoppers.

The AFL needs to charge Channel 7 and Foxtel for the broadcast rights, they're making a mint off of advertising and paying nothing in return. Hell, the government gave Foxtel $30m for free, supposedly to help grow womens sports, they should give a cut of that to the AFL.

Last edited:
Incorrect, their pay per hour goes down, they're just now being paid for what was unpaid overtime last season. I'd suggest changing the title of this thread, given it is incorrect.
http://[NB: girlsplayfooty domain h...ayments-for-2018-dont-call-it-a-pay-rise.html

Hopefully the 2019 payment agreements are much higher, compatible to the recent Netball Australia payrise, which was in reponse to the creation of AFLW to stop codehoppers.

The AFL needs to charge Channel 7 and Foxtel for the broadcast rights, they're making a mint off of advertising and paying nothing in return. Hell, the government gave Foxtel $30m for free, supposedly to help grow womens sports, they should give a cut of that to the AFL.

Netball is an elite level. AFLW is not even close to that as yet. Give it some time, like lots of time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When the standard rises , gate takings should be a significant source of revenue for AFLW pay.
It will depend on how big the average AFLW crowd is, in perhaps 10 -15 years time; & the entry fee for fans. Standards will improve every year, with more female Academies/ elite TAC-style comps.

The other unknown factor, when trying to predict future skill levels & how big AFLW crowds will become, is what % of elite female athletes will be attracted to the AFLW. The bigger the %, the higher the skill levels & crowds nos.
It should be remembered that the public are willing to pay high entry costs to attend top female tennis matches (admittedly, usually only 2 players on the court at one time to "gobble up"all the gate receipts -AFLW will have c.44 players).

Last edited:
AFLW is like GWS/GC...They lose money, but the idea is to subsidise them now as an investment to bring about long term growth which will, hopefully, pay off at some point in the future.

Until that time, the women need to be paid, both because they're doing a job that places considerable demands on them and because, as others have suggested, it's how you attract the more talented female athletes which should flow on into improved standards and bring about that payoff on the investment.

As with GWS & GC, I'd suggest their should be criteria that need to be reached along the way in order to attract more funding (including pay rises), but any benchmarks that would have been put in place for year one have almost certainly been met, so yeah, give more money to the ladies.

Future benchmarks might be more challenging, including an increasing share of self funding, but for now, they're doing all that can reasonably asked of them.

How so?

And what do you mean, can't get supporters to pay to watch a game?

You make it sound like they tried to get supporters to pay, and failed. They haven't tried. That should tell you something.

I got a Freo women's membership 2017, and didn't get the pack until 2018 because they were totally unprepared for the demand, and women's membership doesn't get you anything other than a card, and a certificate, and I don't even follow Freo.

Rubbish they tried to get crowds even offering free entry

The game will never make money and the AFL will have to carry it forever which doesn’t bother me they have the cash but it will never make it own money

Rubbish they tried to get crowds even offering free entry

The game will never make money and the AFL will have to carry it forever which doesn’t bother me they have the cash but it will never make it own money
Building interest with free entry is a loss leader. Also, if the men's game relied on gate takings, it would make a big loss. So basing future earnings potential on crowds is misleading. It made a loss, but it also generated quite a bit of cash first year, and will generate more second year

When the standard rises , gate takings should be a significant source of revenue for AFLW pay.
It will depend on how big the average AFLW crowd is, in perhaps 10 -15 years time; & the entry fee for fans. Standards will improve every year, with more female Academies/ elite TAC-style comps.

The other unknown factor, when trying to predict future skill levels & how big AFLW crowds will become, is what % of elite female athletes will be attracted to the AFLW. The bigger the %, the higher the skill levels & crowds nos.
It should be remembered that the public are willing to pay high entry costs to attend top female tennis matches (admittedly, usually only 2 players on the court at one time to "gobble up"all the gate receipts -AFLW will have c.44 players).

The Matildas support your conclusion Torp, get better, draw a crowd.
Cricket has followed:
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/swoop/matildas-crowds-give-womens-cricket-something-to-aspire-to/news-story/2dce440c2fa816e8d0e3768d15611a9f

No chance, it will just be part of the broadcast rights that whoever does the men’s must put the women’s on also. It has no value sold separately at this point.

The afl rights are to 2022. The aflw signed a two year deal with 7 and fox with production costs covered. There will be at least another four years of independent deals

The Matildas support your conclusion Torp, get better, draw a crowd.
Cricket has followed:
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/swoop/matildas-crowds-give-womens-cricket-something-to-aspire-to/news-story/2dce440c2fa816e8d0e3768d15611a9f

The Matildas were competitive for several years and could never pull over 5k. Something happened that made Australian soccer funnel a lot more energy into the Matildas than they had previously and they pulled a couple of 15k crowds. I wonder what it was?

Meanwhile, I was at the first aflw game that got 25k to it before a ball had been bounced

"Quality" is secondary to passion, meaning and investment (of players, fans, clubs and league)

The Matildas were competitive for several years and could never pull over 5k. Something happened that made Australian soccer funnel a lot more energy into the Matildas than they had previously and they pulled a couple of 15k crowds. I wonder what it was?

Meanwhile, I was at the first aflw game that got 25k to it before a ball had been bounced

"Quality" is secondary to passion, meaning and investment (of players, fans, clubs and league)
Profile, and engagement of fans trumps quality every time. Quality helps the sales pitch, but it isn't the core of the issue.

Its why AFLW had to be aligned to existing clubs, and not stand alone teams. Twice the quality in teams no one cares about is a fail.

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Womens pay increases for 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Back