AFL's rubbery white shorts policy

Remove this Banner Ad

Another thing which gets me is the Derbies.

In the showdown, both Adelaide and Port wear home kits and whoever the "away" side is wears the white shorts, even though there is a clash with both sides having predominantly dark home kits. In Sydney, both GWS and Sydney wear home kits despite there being an obvious clash with the orange and the red.

In QLD and WA, the away side wears their clash kit. In QLD I can understand this as both Lions and GC have similar kits with Maroon and Red being close colours from a distance, however what gives with Freo and WCE? Why can't WCE wear their home kit with white shorts (like they did vs Carlton) vs Freo, and why can't WCE wear their royal away when they are the "away" side vs Freo?

Using the above example, both Port and Crows should also don their clash kits when playing as the "away" side.

In the showdown, both Adelaide and Port wear home kits and whoever the "away" side is wears the white shorts, even though there is a clash with both sides having predominantly dark home kits. In Sydney, both GWS and Sydney wear home kits despite there being an obvious clash with the orange and the red.

In QLD and WA, the away side wears their clash kit. In QLD I can understand this as both Lions and GC have similar kits with Maroon and Red being close colours from a distance, however what gives with Freo and WCE? Why can't WCE wear their home kit with white shorts (like they did vs Carlton) vs Freo, and why can't WCE wear their royal away when they are the "away" side vs Freo?

Using the above example, both Port and Crows should also don their clash kits when playing as the "away" side.
Another AFL inconsistency:
AFL deems Suns (bright red) clash with Lions (maroon and blue)
BUT
AFL does not deem Blues (navy blue) clash with Bulldogs (royal blue)

BUT

Personally, I'd say the issue is with the other states, not the derbies. This is the sort of crap that creates inconsistencies, that teams refuse to wear a clash against a rival, but they'll happily wear the clash against another team with similar colours to their rival (like how Adelaide/Port Adelaide would wear their clash in an away game against Essendon or Richmond, but they won't wear the clash in a showdown).

Personally, I'd say the issue is with the other states, not the derbies. This is the sort of crap that creates inconsistencies, that teams refuse to wear a clash against a rival, but they'll happily wear the clash against another team with similar colours to their rival (like how Adelaide/Port Adelaide would wear their clash in an away game against Essendon or Richmond, but they won't wear the clash in a showdown).
I know where you're coming from. Need to copy English Football on this, e.g. Man Utd v Liverpool is the biggest rivalry in English football and both teams wear red (Man Utd - red shirt, white shorts, black socks, Liverpool - red shirt, shorts and socks). The FA makes the away team wear a different kit and rightfully so, even if its a FA Cup final one team has to wear a different kit. None of the "it's our biggest rival in the biggest game so we must wear our traditional colours rubbish".

Another problem is teams changing their clash jumpers every second season. Some clash jumpers cause clashes!!

The main problem is when WB play away to Carlton, WB wear white clash vs Carlton's navy blue, problem solved. However when you flip the coin, Carlton can't wear their clash vs WB Royal home because it would cause a clash (defeats the purpose doesn't it!!) hence why Carlton wear home kit with white shorts vs WB. One could say that Carlton re-introduce their white clash for situations like this.

Why would we want to wear that? It looks awful and Freo have a perfectly good white strip they are happy to wear as the away team

Why would we want to wear that? It looks awful and Freo have a perfectly good white strip they are happy to wear as the away team

We shouldn't have to be happy to wear it - but thankfully we are haha

Home team wears what they want, away team has to wear something that doesn't clash (or have any chance of clashing)

I know, however I am making a point here, if WCE had to wear white shorts with their home jumper vs Carlton, then why can't the same thing happen when they play Freo?

Because we have a clash jumper, Carlton don't (not a proper one anyway)

We shouldn't have to be happy to wear it - but thankfully we are haha

Home team wears what they want, away team has to wear something that doesn't clash (or have any chance of clashing)
I agree with this.

So if Freo wear purple as the home team, we can either wear royal blue with white shorts which I don't think is a clash, or just wear our white.

There's no reason for us to ever have to wear our tri-panel with white shorts - not our fault Carlton's marketing department cocked up their perfectly good white clash strip.

No, but is it WCE fault for coming up with a home jumper that clashes even with Clash jumpers....

No, it's the rest of the competitions fault for not coming up with adequate clash jumpers

Home team wears whatever they want as far as I am concerned, away team has to have an adequate clash jumper or they should be forced to wear whatever the AFL wants them to wear and be fined a ****load of $$$$

BUT

Or Essendon (black with red stripe) clash with Richmond (black with yellow stripe)

Or Essendon and Carlton

Or Richmond and Carlton

The majority of clashes are caused by Victorian teams with too much 'history' to design a proper away uniform. And the AFL who don't have the stones to mandate teams have one primary uniform and one secondary with completely different main colours.

This white shorts rubbish has got to stop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Teams that should have to wear clash jumpers against each other:
(NOTE: This is assuming that Lions go back to their premiership jumper, Eagles go back to their premiership jumper and Collingwood go back to their traditional white with black stripes jumper)
Adel v BL
Adel v Carl
Adel v Ess
Adel v Frem
Adel v GC
Adel v GWS
Adel v Haw
Adel v Melb
Adel v Rich
Adel v Port
Adel v StK
Adel v WB
Adel v WCE
BL v Carl
BL v Ess
BL v Frem
BL v GC
BL v Melb
BL v Rich
BL v Port
BL v StK
BL v WB
BL v WCE
Carl v Ess
Carl v Frem
Carl v GWS
Carl v Melb
Carl v Rich
Carl v Port
Carl v StK
Carl v WB
Carl v WCE
Coll v Geel
Coll v NM
Ess v Frem
Ess v GWS
Ess v Melb
Ess v Rich
Ess v Port
Ess v StK
Frem v Melb
Frem v Rich
Frem v Port
Frem v StK
Frem v WB
Frem v WCE
Geel v NM
GC v GWS
GC v Syd
GC v Haw?
GWS v Haw
GWS v Melb
GWS v Port
GWS v Rich
GWS v StK
GWS v Syd?
Melb v Rich
Melb v Port
Melb v StK
Melb v WB
Melb v WCE
Rich v Port
Rich v StK
Rich v WCE?
Port v StK
StK v WB?
WB v WCE

Or Essendon (black with red stripe) clash with Richmond (black with yellow stripe)

Or Essendon and Carlton

Or Richmond and Carlton

The majority of clashes are caused by Victorian teams with too much 'history' to design a proper away uniform. And the AFL who don't have the stones to mandate teams have one primary uniform and one secondary with completely different main colours.

This white shorts rubbish has got to stop.

Agree!

The only clash's I can find between jumpers:
Carlton vs. Freo
Carlton vs. Melbourne
possibly Essendon vs. Richmond
possibly Essendon vs. Port
Gold Coast vs. Sydney
possible Port vs. Richmond

otherwise teams wear their home jumpers with white shorts when playing away, excluding Sydney and Sydney only, I don't remember any interstate teams wearing white shorts when playing away in the last 3 years :(

Agree re North vs Port. If Port wore black shorts, it would have been less of a clash. This would make the white stripes on North stand out more as well.

Then you have Carlton vs Bombers, Dons only had to focus on red, I think the clash made it more difficult for Carlton with Blues having to pick out non-red guernsey or white shorts. Blues should have chosen a proper clash strip. To me it's just plain is ridiculous, but it goes on and on.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL's rubbery white shorts policy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back