AFL's rubbery white shorts policy

Remove this Banner Ad

So when they AFL allowed Collingwood to change from it's traditional strip to the black strip, it actually had the effect of creating clashes with Carlton, Essendon, Richmond, Adelaide, Port and St Kilda. had the AFL used common sense and not allowed this change there would have only been a potential clash with North and Geelong. Interesting decision.

Why did Collingwood change strips anyway?

So when they AFL allowed Collingwood to change from it's traditional strip to the black strip, it actually had the effect of creating clashes with Carlton, Essendon, Richmond, Adelaide, Port and St Kilda. had the AFL used common sense and not allowed this change there would have only been a potential clash with North and Geelong. Interesting decision.

Why did Collingwood change strips anyway?

Collingwood have a mainly black strip and a mainly white strip. With a home game they will wear the dark, with an away game they will wear what clashes less. Its not rocket science.

Irrrelevant.

Collingwoods home jersey is mainly black. Its dark. Hence white does not clash.

How so?

To me it seems yet again, Collingwood are exempt to any jumper clash rules that the AFL make and its unfair.

There is no reason why they should not have worn white shorts vs WCE, it's only fair. It happened in the QF last year as well.

Collingwood have a mainly black strip and a mainly white strip. With a home game they will wear the dark, with an away game they will wear what clashes less. Its not rocket science.

yes i know that. I actually think they work very well together.

what i asked was, why did Collingood change their strip, and create a bunch of unneccessary clashes?

How so?

To me it seems yet again, Collingwood are exempt to any jumper clash rules that the AFL make and its unfair.

There is no reason why they should not have worn white shorts vs WCE, it's only fair. It happened in the QF last year as well.

Our home game.
Our home strip.
Our home strip is dark, hence black shorts are the best choice.

Its up to the away team to avoid clashes. And as yellow shorts are sinfully ugly, the choice is white.

Our home game.
Our home strip.
Our home strip is dark, hence black shorts are the best choice.

Its up to the away team to avoid clashes.

But the new "rule" (if you can call it that!!) makes that void. Look at Freo for crying out loud.

If what you say is more correct than the new white shorts policy, then the Bombers should be wearing a clash and/or be forced to make one. Only fair.

But the new "rule" (if you can call it that!!) makes that void. Look at Freo for crying out loud.

If what you say is more correct than the new white shorts policy, then the Bombers should be wearing a clash and/or be forced to make one. Only fair.

Personally I think if the home jersey is predominanltly light then the shorts should be white.

Not sure what the rule is exactly but its not fair to ask a visiting team to provide a clash outfit when the home teams jersey shading doesnt match the shorts.

Personally I think if the home jersey is predominanltly light then the shorts should be white.

Having said that, Geelong and North would be wearing white shorts 90% of the time unless they play each other, Sydney or Cold Roast.

Not sure what the rule is exactly but its not fair to ask a visiting team to provide a clash outfit when the home teams jersey shading doesnt match the shorts.

The way I am interpreting it is this:

If the home team has a more or mostly white jumper than the away team, then the home team wears white shorts.

Having said that, I make point of earlier comments: WHY didn't Collingwood wear white shorts vs WCE, when they clearly have more white on their jumper, while WCE have virtually none (unless you count the outlining of the numbers). Why did Geelong wear blue shorts vs Richmond, yet wore white shorts vs Melbourne (both were Cats home games). Doesn't make sense either. North is another offender, wore white at home games vs Dons and Bullies yet didn't do the same vs Brisbane.

Home strip is the choice of any club to select what they want. The reasons dont matter.

yep, agreed. i also like the rationale that the guernsey colour should match the the shorts.

actually the most sensible option for this arvos game has been forgotten in this thread. why didn't west coast just wear their white clash guernsey today? do they still use it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Issue is here though, if the rule has been changed so the team with more white wears white shorts then why didn't Collingwood? Pretty unfair considering when St Kilda and Freo have been made to wear white at home.

Simple. We don't clash with West Coast's away strip. That's why! So we can drop that issue. The fact that Freo and St.Kilda were made to wear white shorts at home is unfair, but it was only done to prevent a clash. We do not clash with either of West Coast's away/clash jumpers, therefore, us wearing white shorts would be nonsensical, idiotic and ridiculous. It's very simple logic.

Issue is here though, if the rule has been changed so the team with more white wears white shorts then why didn't Collingwood? Pretty unfair considering when St Kilda and Freo have been made to wear white at home.

they probably should have. but we wouldn't even be having this discussion if the eagles wore their white guernsey today.

also, just because one stupid decision is made (tonight) doesnt mean that all the decisions should be stupid. Collingwood were at home, they should be wearing their home strip in it's entirety.

yep, agreed. i also like the rationale that the guernsey colour should match the the shorts.

actually the most sensible option for this arvos game has been forgotten in this thread. why didn't west coast just wear their white clash guernsey today? do they still use it?

Disagree with coloured shorts. Horrible idea.

As for why West Coast didnt wear their clash outfit, pretty simple...their home outfit doesnt clash.

All things considered, I much prefer to see flexibility in shorts colour as opposed to the AFL mucking around with club's jumpers too much.

I could care less if Collingwood wear white shorts for a home game against Carlton. If it helps contrast the teams on the field without messing with the jumpers, then it's a good thing.

This is how farcial the rule is at the St Kilda vs Hawthorn game, St Kilda was forced to wear white shorts even though Hawthorn wear a mostly bright yellow jumper with a white patch on the back and St Kilda wear a jumper that is 70-80% Black with only a relatively small white strip on the front.

Who ever is in charge of this bullshit should be fired. St Kilda have made an effort to minimise the white in their home jumper and they still get forced to change their kit at home games.

Fremantle just look ridiculous with the purple jumper and white shorts.

All things considered, I much prefer to see flexibility in shorts colour as opposed to the AFL mucking around with club's jumpers too much.

I could care less if Collingwood wear white shorts for a home game against Carlton. If it helps contrast the teams on the field without messing with the jumpers, then it's a good thing.
For a home game against Carlton Collingwood should be wearing their Dark kit and Carlton wearing their light kit.

Why does someone have to wear white shorts?

There was absolutely no clash today, but why can't we have West Coast in blue shorts and collingwood in black. Same should apply to most games.

Tonight Freo should of worn their full purple home and the bombers should of worn a proper clash strip. Simple.

For a home game against Carlton Collingwood should be wearing their Dark kit and Carlton wearing their light kit.

I'll use a different example- I wouldn't care if Collingwood wore its 'whiter' jumper with white shorts for a home game against Adelaide for purposes of contrast.

What would bother me is if we were forced to invent some god-awful 'clash' jumper because some bright spark sees a marketing gimmick opportunity. Teams got along OK without the need for clash jumpers for decades- I'd far rather see teams in their proper jumpers more often than worry about who is wearing 'home' or 'away' shorts.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL's rubbery white shorts policy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back