AFL's rubbery white shorts policy

Remove this Banner Ad

Either the AFL want the more predominant white team to wear the white shorts OR the away team.
They can't have it both ways.

Personally? I think the home team should wear whatever they want. West Coast shouldn't be wearing white shorts against Carlton, nor should Freo against Essendon.

Good t see the clash issue beginning to be addressed sensibly.

Mind you, north could have work royal blue here.

White shorts should only to help where there is a clash

ipad-art-wide-ROOS_CROWS2-420x0.jpg

Am I the only person around here that doesn't see the need for one of the teams to be forced to wear white shorts?

This is a tradition from a long gone era now that all clubs have clash jumpers (albeit some aren't a big change).

Why would Collingwood in black v West Coast in blue be a problem for anyone. Essendon in black, freo in purple shorts no issue. In the above picture Adelaide in navy and Roos in Royal would look great. It's just bizarre.

Let the home team wear their uniform (including the shorts they choose) and the away team shall wear their uniform that clashes the least (whatever color the shorts are).

Jumper/shorts colour tips for Round 14:

Carlton (home jumper/navy shorts) v Hawthorn (home/white)
Collingwood (home/black) v Fremantle (away/white)
Adelaide (home/navy) v Richmond (clash/white)
West Coast (home/navy) v Gold Coast (away/red)
Essendon (home/black) v Western Bulldogs (home/white)
Sydney (home/red) v GWS (home/charcoal)
Geelong (home/white) v Port Adelaide (home/black)
Brisbane (home/maroon) v Melbourne (clash/white)
St Kilda (home/black) v North Melbourne (home/white)

Either the AFL want the more predominant white team to wear the white shorts OR the away team.

I agree, this is where the confusion lies; hence my point about the Collingwood vs WCE game in comparison to Freo vs Dons.

As I said, it is very inconsistent.

Am I the only person around here that doesn't see the need for one of the teams to be forced to wear white shorts?

Yeah, same, guess it's "tradition" vs modernisation of the game.

Why would Collingwood in black v West Coast in blue be a problem for anyone. Essendon in black, freo in purple shorts no issue. In the above picture Adelaide in navy and Roos in Royal would look great. It's just bizarre.

Point taken, Home vs Home should be worn where possible, just like in the finals, and IF there is a clash then the the team with the most white wears white shorts, or if that is not possible then the away team finds an alternative, eg, Dons in red shorts, Richmond in yellow shorts (or they can just make a proper clash jumper for once).

Although I don't like North in Blue shorts unless they have their clash, even then it looks better with white shorts. To me they just look better with white shorts.

Some folks NEED to realise sooner or later that the AFL LOVE CONTROVERSY!! They have back-flipped, told BS to all and the media lap it up and make fun of it then forget it.. nobody died. It's a hypocritical/ inconsistent (amateur hour) saga that extends to many other aspects NOBODY is ALLOWED to DARE question... the minions of society (cashed up fans who pump $$$ into clubs) are treated with upmost contempt.. (along with the dills (footballers) on twitter never learn.... $7500 for ????)... bwaaahah! Such a precious dainty bunch dem AFL snotheads.

bottom line... AFL don't give a flying F**** at the calamity/ grief they embarrass themselves with... they know the minions are addicted and will keep on coming rain, hail or shine.

Personally? I think the home team should wear whatever they want. West Coast shouldn't be wearing white shorts against Carlton, nor should Freo against Essendon.

The home team should wear the shorts that best match their home jerseys. Its impossible to ask a visiting team to provide a clash outfit if the home team is wearing a light strip and black/dark shorts.

This is what we are heading towards and they arent far away from getting it right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually think Carlton need to bring back a white clash for that reason. Either that, or WCE should ditch their current home and either wear a navy version of their royal blue jumper, or have their away kit as their home, because their current home can cause clashes with clashes.

Do you realise how many Eagles supporters on here agree with that? The home jumper is terrible. It's like Collingwood moving away from stripes.. has no relevance to our club at all besides the "modern"* eagle on the front.

To address the OP, who knows. The VFL seem to say one thing and do another based on who the rule is applied to. Bring the game into modern times and have home and away jumpers. Simple.
For the record, Collingwood's clash is good enough as it does the trick, i.e., distinguishes from the darker side.

*Ridiculously weak looking

I prefer Collingwood's away jumper, I think a lot of the criticism levelled at the pies is because they don't actually need to change, plus, of course, Eddie.
I would be more concerned about Essendon and Richmond, both need something that is markedly different from the home jumper. I did like the yellow on black jumper that Richmond used previously, and who cares if it looks similar to a WA guernsey that has been used (note, there have been different designs used, so it's not proprietary). I certainly don't.

Bombers should look in the jumper design threads here, some good ones knocking about.

I am surprised Melbourne dont have one though - with hard nuts like Morton in their midfield, rubbery shorts could be a blessing.
Don't you know James Magner built Melbourne's entire road infrastructure himself?*

*May be an exaggeration.

I prefer Collingwood's away jumper, I think a lot of the criticism levelled at the pies is because they don't actually need to change, plus, of course, Eddie.
I would be more concerned about Essendon and Richmond, both need something that is markedly different from the home jumper. I did like the yellow on black jumper that Richmond used previously, and who cares if it looks similar to a WA guernsey that has been used (note, there have been different designs used, so it's not proprietary). I certainly don't.

Bombers should look in the jumper design threads here, some good ones knocking about.

CONSTITUTION!!!

/essendon fan

Sorry to bump a thread here, but speaking of Collingwood, who wears what on Friday night?

Surely it won't be Collingwood wearing home vs Carlton Home with white shorts?? Unless Carlton wear their clash, which I can't recall happening over the years.
Perhaps, like WCE, Collingwood will have to wear white shorts at home for a change. If they aren't, surely there must be some sort of favouritism here?

Sorry to bump a thread here, but speaking of Collingwood, who wears what on Friday night?

Surely it won't be Collingwood wearing home vs Carlton Home with white shorts?? Unless Carlton wear their clash, which I can't recall happening over the years.
Perhaps, like WCE, Collingwood will have to wear white shorts at home for a change. If they aren't, surely there must be some sort of favouritism here?
Should be Collingwood "clash" and Carlton home.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL's rubbery white shorts policy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back