AFL's rubbery white shorts policy

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok 1974 seems to be the last season

I think you are right of the period.
There were a few movies made somewhere in mid 70's and remember some black shorts worn in them.
Might see if can find some footage. I think most of 1974 tv coverage was in black and white so the fact a movie in colour was how can notice or even photos if in colour then.
We see what I can find on youtube.

Found this. A weird movie from mid 70's. Real cult classic with the main actor famous for Wolf Creek decades later...
Says 1975 but I assume some match stuff from 1974. Fitzroy look to have black shorts v South. Assume South home team?
I seen Fitzroy in yellow shorts in some old colour tv around this period too. Maybe a year or so later?

Found this. A weird movie from mid 70's. Real cult classic with the main actor famous for Wolf Creek decades later...
Says 1975 but I assume some match stuff from 1974. Fitzroy look to have black shorts v South. Assume South home team?
I seen Fitzroy in yellow shorts in some old colour tv around this period too. Maybe a year or so later?

I think the move away from black shorts wasn't a coincidence with colour tv, teams wanted to stand out with more colour on the telly. Fitzroy and Melbourne even changed guernseys to be brighter colours.

I think the move away from black shorts wasn't a coincidence with colour tv, teams wanted to stand out with more colour on the telly. Fitzroy and Melbourne even changed guernseys to be brighter colours.
I think we are off track from my original query was when was this so called black shorts and white shorts policy specifically started and for how long was this policy clearly in place. I cannot see anywhere that tells me where such a policy was announced by the VFL. All I can see in a small period of time in 70's where I can see a few teams in black shorts. So it still a mystery to me, if it just a small window in time or something a lot more that you alluded to first.

So far, from what I can tell in mid 70's with colour television in vogue was it was a make it up as you go along.
75 grand final shows Hawks not in black shorts but brown. 78 shows them in white when another poster claimed they never wore white.
75 Anzac Day match shows Carlton and Essendon in a match with neither team in white or black shorts. Essendon red and Carlton dark navy blue. Later in season in repeat meeting of two teams at Windy Hill it shows Carlton in white shorts as away team. I think 70's they were making up their mind each season but in early 80's it tended to be more like white shorts for away team and home team wore whatever they liked.
But this black shorts and white shorts so called policy I still want to find if it actually is a thing I can bed down in time out of interest for football history. If it did exist I assume it was in all the 60's, 50's 40's etc etc, well away from colour footage times.

I think we are off track from my original query was when was this so called black shorts and white shorts policy specifically started and for how long was this policy clearly in place. I cannot see anywhere that tells me where such a policy was announced by the VFL. All I can see in a small period of time in 70's where I can see a few teams in black shorts. So it still a mystery to me, if it just a small window in time or something a lot more that you alluded to first.

So far, from what I can tell in mid 70's with colour television in vogue was it was a make it up as you go along.
75 grand final shows Hawks not in black shorts but brown. 78 shows them in white when another poster claimed they never wore white.
75 Anzac Day match shows Carlton and Essendon in a match with neither team in white or black shorts. Essendon red and Carlton dark navy blue. Later in season in repeat meeting of two teams at Windy Hill it shows Carlton in white shorts as away team. I think 70's they were making up their mind each season but in early 80's it tended to be more like white shorts for away team and home team wore whatever they liked.
But this black shorts and white shorts so called policy I still want to find if it actually is a thing I can bed down in time out of interest for football history. If it did exist I assume it was in all the 60's, 50's 40's etc etc, well away from colour footage times.
It was longer than a small period in the 70s, it was like that for thirty or fourty years prior.

Point is it was a policy for a fair while, half that policy has been ditched and half still seems to hang around unchallenged, against logic and context.

It was longer than a small period in the 70s, it was like that for thirty or fourty years prior.

Point is it was a policy for a fair while, half that policy has been ditched and half still seems to hang around unchallenged, against logic and context.
You keep saying that but I actually after some proof of this black shorts/ white shorts policy.
You maybe right but where is some league record of this being the case and is there a record of it in some VFL/AFL football history book or the actual AFL site that shows it actually was a thing and specifically when?

You keep saying that but I actually after some proof of this black shorts/ white shorts policy.
You maybe right but where is some league record of this being the case and is there a record of it in some VFL/AFL football history book or the actual AFL site that shows it actually was a thing and specifically when?
I get what you are saying, but it's like, probably not gonna happen, that someone pulls out a copy of the policy from a 80 year old state league rulebook. It must've been a thing because prior to that teams wore shorts matching guernsey colours.

I get what you are saying, but it's like, probably not gonna happen, that someone pulls out a copy of the policy from a 80 year old state league rulebook. It must've been a thing because prior to that teams wore shorts matching guernsey colours.
I think you are wrong. There are a few genuinely good football historians that on this site. If it exists, they will find it.
In them I trust...

I think you are wrong. There are a few genuinely good football historians that on this site. If it exists, they will find it.
In them I trust...
1977 VFL Yearbook states: Home team black shorts and away team white shorts were introduced for the 1924 season. This was the rule until colour TV arrived in 1975.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So apparently it was so important to maintain the white shorts in making all red Essendon wear white against red black and WHITE St Kilda but not today in getting predominantly white Geelong to wear them against Gold Coast.

So apparently it was so important to maintain the white shorts in making all red Essendon wear white against red black and WHITE St Kilda but not today in getting predominantly white Geelong to wear them against Gold Coast.
Adelaide wear white shorts with their red, yellow, and navy striped guernsey, against Port in their black and white guernsey and black with white striped shorts.

Who cares Geelong wearing either shorts v a red team is fine.
The point is more why is it considered necessary in games in which the home team has white in their uniform.

Another example right now we have Melbourne wearing red and blue against Sydney in red and white. What’s the obvious choice for Sydney as the away team? Red shorts of course since this is the AFL

St Kilda wearing black shorts with their away Guernsey? Collingwood wearing white as home team?

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
Yep and it’s perfect

White = away shorts needs to go way of the dodo.
Only wear white if it is a club colour. And if mainly white jumper, wear white shorts like geelong does often.
Chefs kiss

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL's rubbery white shorts policy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back