Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

Roxy was desperate to go to Freo. She was in both academies (as quite a few of the girls were) but didn’t enjoy it at West Coast and told her East Freo teammates that she hoped Freo would use their first pick on her.
That's exactly the same thing I heard from one of her good mates. I've also heard there has been a fair bit of banter within her group of family and friends because there is quite a mix of Freo and WC supporters :)

Women's footy is in a place where a close good game is more important than who wins.

I would take a close Freo win in an exciting good quality game over a big WC win in a low quality snooze fest.

The league has been cursed by having some of the most highly publicised and high profile games also be some of the worst.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Women's footy is in a place where a close good game is more important than who wins.

I would take a close Freo win in an exciting good quality game over a big WC win in a low quality snooze fest.

The league has been cursed by having some of the most highly publicised and high profile games also be some of the worst.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

I swear that some of the nuffies who responded negatively to the 1-goal-each game on the weekend didn't actually tune in ... otherwise they would have noticed the conditions the match was played in.

Roxy was desperate to go to Freo. She was in both academies (as quite a few of the girls were) but didn’t enjoy it at West Coast and told her East Freo teammates that she hoped Freo would use their first pick on her.
That was going to be my question... seriously - why all the conjecture that Roxy is after a potential move to WC. I know she was in their academy but so were a lot of WA players. Was she a die-hard weags supporter pre-draft? Where is it coming from? She looked pretty happy with her Freo guernsey after her first goal today. I’ve been quite perplexed by all the ‘will she/won’t she’ stuff going on.

nah, I'm Freo through and through but have someone at WC so currently a Frweagle. But it means I have seen a lot of both girls clubs and can take my purple glasses off to compare.

Yes we had a better application and program set up whereas WC I think just assumed they would be given the first WA license - you can tell that by the shock they showed when they didn't (see doco last Sat). But after that Freo certainly didn't throw much money or focus on the girls for a few years and it showed. Much better now but most have no idea how much WC is throwing at this new team. WC are doing everything in their power to pull in the best players asap and score a cup before Freo. And as I said, unlike the men's we will see (until they play as much and earn something closer to the men's) more movement between Freo and WC. It will be a big fight for the up and coming future WA stars, for example like Roux - a WC supporter from Gero who was in the WC academy and wanted to be picked up by WC before Freo drafted her. But, as with any recruit, Freo have the chance to turn her so she doesn't want to leave (i.e. in the next 6 games or so, remember 6 month contracts which started last Oct). But IMO, Freo really need to score a cup in the next year or two to hold their position as an attractive place for the girls to come and stay.
1581783382158.png

That was going to be my question... seriously - why all the conjecture that Roxy is after a potential move to WC. I know she was in their academy but so were a lot of WA players. Was she a die-hard weags supporter pre-draft? Where is it coming from? She looked pretty happy with her Freo guernsey after her first goal today. I’ve been quite perplexed by all the ‘will she/won’t she’ stuff going on.
No she was a Essendon supporter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My maths is clearly failing me. I thought 60 + 15 was more than 40 + 27 but apparently not :)

Highest scoring match
  • Adelaide 6.4 (40) def St Kilda 4.3 (27). Once again, the highest scoring match was in the last timeslot, with a free-flowing, uncontested affair at Hisense Stadium.

My maths is clearly failing me. I thought 60 + 15 was more than 40 + 27 but apparently not :)

Highest scoring match
  • Adelaide 6.4 (40) def St Kilda 4.3 (27). Once again, the highest scoring match was in the last timeslot, with a free-flowing, uncontested affair at Hisense Stadium.
Sarah Black seriously don’t have clue or she just doesn’t put enough time into.

Sarah Black seriously don’t have clue or she just doesn’t put enough time into.

The latter. I've got in touch with her on Twitter before regarding a mistake she made on a piece, and she was happy to correct. That was the "Tighe injured against West Coast" one.

Could be worth popping her a message.

Hey, I was just as excited as anyone to see that on Sat. What a night. But, I had to keep my mouth well shut sitting amongst West Coast parents 🙊...for the whole game...after every goal...and every hard tackle :). Not a peep. I was a Buddhist monk. You can support your family the best you can, but when that opening siren goes, you quickly realise you can only get excited (under your breath) about one colour jumper. However, unfortunately with a bunch of cool stories about the night (which ended late) I have been reminded to keep my trap shut so I'm going to have to keep my input on here to a minimum for the rest of the season (unless I can make it down to training) except to say, I think this is Freo's year. No one has a forward line that potent and mids and defense to back it up. Peace out.
I always wondered how easily knowing a player would sway your opinion, safe to say not very easily!
I wish your Eagles playing family member all the best... but only her, GO FREO :purpleheart:

Hey, I was just as excited as anyone to see that on Sat. What a night. But, I had to keep my mouth well shut sitting amongst West Coast parents 🙊...for the whole game...after every goal...and every hard tackle :). Not a peep. I was a Buddhist monk. You can support your family the best you can, but when that opening siren goes, you quickly realise you can only get excited (under your breath) about one colour jumper. However, unfortunately with a bunch of cool stories about the night (which ended late) I have been reminded to keep my trap shut so I'm going to have to keep my input on here to a minimum for the rest of the season (unless I can make it down to training) except to say, I think this is Freo's year. No one has a forward line that potent and mids and defense to back it up. Peace out.
edit - oh, I just realised you meant sitting amongst parents of WC players. Not your own parents :) lol... I would pretend I have work and can't make it, then go in disguise and enter the stadium from the other side.

Definitely some momentum with the women's team... Bowers up for player of the round after Duffy won it last week. Roxy Roux up for mark of round. Leah Mascall getting recognition for the great chase down tackle below...

Huge game against the Pies on the weekend. Two top teams on the ladder. Certainly not expecting it to be as easy as last time we met them.

I forgot about KJG's hit on Atkins in the 1st qtr - she got a reprimand. As expected the Hooker and Swanson incidental contact didn't even get looked at.

Gibson got off for her forearm high on Cuthbertson. Extremely lucky.

Katie-Jayne Grieve, Fremantle, has been charged with engaging in Rough Conduct against Ashlee Atkins, West Coast Eagles, during the first quarter of the match between the West Coast Eagles and Fremantle, played at Optus Stadium on Saturday, February 15.

In summary, she can accept a Reprimand with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Intentional Conduct with low impact to the body. The incident was classified as a $400 sanction. The player can accept a Reprimand with an early plea.

Kellie Gibson, West Coast Eagles, has been charged with engaging in Front On Contact against Janelle Cuthbertson, Fremantle, during the fourth quarter of the match between the West Coast Eagles and Fremantle, played at Optus Stadium on Saturday, February 15.

In summary, she can accept a Reprimand with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Careless Conduct with low impact to the head. The incident was classified as a $400 sanction. The player can accept a Reprimand with an early plea.

Now that I realise you meant WC players parents, not your own parents, I commend you on your thoughtfulness.

Fremantle getting plenty of love in AFLW this week.

Roxy Roux with a Rising Star nomination! Very well deserved.

Three players in the Team of the Week - one in each line. Evie Gooch, Kiara Bowers and Gabby O'Sullivan.

Coaches votes from the game...

10 Kiara Bowers (FRE)
8 Katie-Jayne Grieve (FRE)
5 Evie Gooch (FRE)
3 Chantella Perera (WCE)
2 Philipa Seth (FRE)
1 Janelle Cuthbertson (FRE)
1 Jasmin Stewart (FRE)

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

Back