Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

IP? How much of an influence do you think Michelle Cowan had on a number of our former players rolling over to the dark side?

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think there are a few on here who might have the good oil on that one more that I do tbh, but I don't think a lot. I think many of the girls thought she was a bit average, and weren't impressed much with her game plan trying to emulate the big successful men's clubs, with a bunch of girls still trying to get their heads around playing at that level and intensity. So I'd say, pretty much nil as a guess.

Most of our girls signed on pretty quickly - so other than Hooker, Atkins and Gibson, they really just had the pick of what was left. I see that now, where as at the time, each new signing pissed me off no end. :tearsofjoy: Turns out Laurie, and possibly Guard have come on nicely, but there's plenty of cover for all the others, except Hooker.

Hooker was offered the huge $$$, employment, chance to be the face of the club etc, etc. I've heard there were a few tears when she told Cooper (from her, not him... although quite likely both) that they'd put a 'godfather' offer to her, and she'd seen that for long-term security as a single mum (money, employment, development position etc.). Freo couldn't match what they were offering, but she wasn’t desperate to move and may well have stayed had the offer not been so good. She wasn't the 'WC is here, I'm jumping ship' type.
A couple went because they had been part of the WC Development Program and wanted to 'repay' them, plus had been long-term WC fans - Laurie as an example (I know her brother). She was bloody lucky to get the year at Freo - her development was exponential. She went from being an undersized ruck who we used because we had no choice in 2019, to having the #1 hitouts in the comp in 2020.
Freo was just a pitstop for die-hard WC supporter Gibson.
Guard's aim was to be drafted, but couldn't get to WC quick enough after being a supporter forever.
Atkins? Guessing money.
The others - I'm thinking opportunity?

If you go down the list, there's prob only the 'Big 4' that we'll actually miss - Hooker, Atkins, Gibson and Laurie - Gibson is questionable. Hooker is the only irreplaceable player on the list, but so far, we've done ok without her. ;)

Last edited:
Hooker is being hurt trying to carry the side. She gets the hard ball, is the best at getting into position on the spread, and takes marks on the last line of defense.

My concern is she is going to work herself into the ground trying to plug holes, and it's making her less effective.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

I reckon Dana has shortened her career by a couple of years by moving to WC. She gets hammered every time she goes near it. I’m sure she would have rathered to be playing with, rather than against, Turbo last week.

The first couple of years there weren’t the skills or the pressure that there is now, then as it went on she had the protection of Bowers, Miller, K.Antonio etc. Opposition coaches couldn’t cover all of them, so even if Hooker was getting lots of attention, Turbo was there to bury the opposition player, and the others were there to take the ball away.

My (humble) opinion is that Swanson is playing as well as she is because while Hooker might be getting lots of the ball, she’s always under so much pressure she’s nowhere near as effective as she has been in the past three years.

And, I really really really hope I’m wrong because she’s absolutely elite, but with so much attention, and like you said, carrying the team, her best might be behind her. :(

Last edited:

I think there are a few on here who might have the good oil on that one more that I do tbh, but I don't think a lot. I think many of the girls thought she was a bit average, and weren't impressed much with her game plan trying to emulate the big successful men's clubs, with a bunch of girls still trying to get their heads around playing at that level and intensity. So I'd say, pretty much nil as a guess.

Most of our girls signed on pretty quickly - so other than Hooker, Atkins and Gibson, they really just had the pick of what was left. I see that now, where as at the time, each new signing pissed me off no end. :tearsofjoy: Turns out Laurie, and possibly Guard have come on nicely, but there's plenty of cover for all the others, except Hooker.

Hooker was offered the huge $$$, employment, chance to be the face of the club etc, etc. I've heard there were a few tears when she told Cooper (from her, not him... although quite likely both) that they'd put a 'godfather' offer to her, and she'd seen that for long-term security as a single mum (money, employment, development position etc.). Freo couldn't match what they were offering, but she wasn’t desperate to move and may well have stayed had the offer not been so good. She wasn't the 'WC is here, I'm jumping ship' type.
A couple went because they had been part of the WC Development Program and wanted to 'repay' them, plus had been long-term WC fans - Laurie as an example (I know her brother). She was bloody lucky to get the year at Freo - her development was exponential. She went from being an undersized ruck who we used because we had no choice in 2019, to having the #1 hitouts in the comp in 2020.
Guard's aim was to be drafted, but couldn't get to WC quick enough after being a supporter forever.
Atkins? Guessing money.

If you go down the list, there's prob only the 'Big 4' that we'll actually miss - Hooker, Atkins, Gibson and Laurie - Gibson is questionable. Hooker is the only irreplaceable player on the list, but so far, we've done ok without her. ;)
I am pretty sure Hooker was on the way out anyway. The Eagles offer didn't prise her out of Freo, it kept her from whatever Vic club she would have ended up at. Not entirely sure why she was intent on leaving, don't think it really had anything to do with Freo itself.

Gibson is overvalued imop for her skill, but if your not playing well and she isn't getting fed the ball, she doesn't do much. I wouldn't have wanted her for a startup team.

Laurie is OK.

Guard and Atkins are decent foot soldiers.

I'm torn between thinking Eagles selections sucked, and thinking that maybe they got the best they could given the situation. Theye have said for a while that the strategy year 1 was done with an eye for year 2 and 3, but that means this year, we are playing some of the worst players on any list getting actual games.

Devlyn has no redeeming features as a footballer, there is not one thing she is even sort of ok at. Radan is not much better.

Anyone got the text? Seems like some fun drama.
only actual relevant quote is below, somewhat underwhelming

“It is a mix of experience and youth that complement each other in all aspects,” she said.
“We kept 20 players from last year and we kept some really good characters who wanted to stay for the right reasons. (Coach) Trent Cooper and the team have recruited really, really well.”
“Young kids that have great character, great skill are going to be the future of this football club. They have bought in really quickly to the game plan and what we are about.”

I am pretty sure Hooker was on the way out anyway. The Eagles offer didn't prise her out of Freo, it kept her from whatever Vic club she would have ended up at. Not entirely sure why she was intent on leaving, don't think it really had anything to do with Freo itself.

Gibson is overvalued imop for her skill, but if your not playing well and she isn't getting fed the ball, she doesn't do much. I wouldn't have wanted her for a startup team.

Laurie is OK.

Guard and Atkins are decent foot soldiers.

I'm torn between thinking Eagles selections sucked, and thinking that maybe they got the best they could given the situation. Theye have said for a while that the strategy year 1 was done with an eye for year 2 and 3, but that means this year, we are playing some of the worst players on any list getting actual games.

Devlyn has no redeeming features as a footballer, there is not one thing she is even sort of ok at. Radan is not much better.

The criticism of West Coast list build is unwarranted.

They really didn’t have much to choice from and every team makes mistakes list wise.

The only major stuffy up was not selecting Roxy as a pre Draft selection.

Irish girls were ok pick ups but Flood and Tighe are better.

only actual relevant quote is below, somewhat underwhelming
How unusual for The West to try and make something out of nothing?

I have zero ill feelings toward Hooker for taking the opportunity and moving over to WC. Hope she's ok.

As for who on WC's list I would want on Freo's list. Bowen would be my first choice. She deserves a RS nom in the coming rounds. Obviously Hooker and Swanson are good players. I wanted us to draft Imahra Cameron and she'd be a perfect fit for Freo. That's the 4, and that's it.

I wouldn't touch Gibson or Atkins now. Gibson is talented but a massive front runner and I just don't think mercenaries are good for culture - especially for a startup team.

I'd also rather give Strom the opportunity than have Laurie or Janz still. Strom is getting experience you can't buy and we're still ticking off wins. The way she stepped up in the second half on the weekend was amazing for an 18yo. She'll be one of the best rucks in a few years - she is miles from her ceiling. I could see us using both Tighe and Strom together in games next year - Cooper said it was likely this year prior to Tighe's ACL.

WC were never going to create a competitive side for this year imo. I still can't get my head around some of their pre-draft selections like Devlyn and Pisconeri nor some of their senior citizen drafting but they'll turn it around in time. I feel bad for saying this, because her agent is a champ (also Bowers' agent) but I think WC also made a big mistake grabbing Cowan as an assistant. I think they should have looked outside the bubble for coaches.

jatz14 - what's happened to McGuire? Has something happened with her relationship with Bowen?

In relation to coaches for the women’s game, I’m musing that a development type coach might be better than a high performance coach for the game at present.

The game is still developing along with the girls skills. eg. Kicking, handball, positioning, marking etc. The girls still need to taught what to do, rather than mind blowing tactics.

The point is, recruiting coaches from a development background, may be better than ones engrained with coaching in the tactic driven boys game.

In relation to coaches for the women’s game, I’m musing that a development type coach might be better than a high performance coach for the game at present.

The game is still developing along with the girls skills. eg. Kicking, handball, positioning, marking etc. The girls still need to taught what to do, rather than mind blowing tactics.

The point is, recruiting coaches from a development background, may be better than ones engrained with coaching in the tactic driven boys game.
The tactics they are employing are suited to womens football. Very bulldogs 2016 vibes without the ridiculous amount of handballs. Push the ball forward press up the defense (cause turnovers) and the repeat entries cause goals.
The establiched teams with skill are starting to diversify and have more kicking and run style games.

How unusual for The West to try and make something out of nothing?

I have zero ill feelings toward Hooker for taking the opportunity and moving over to WC. Hope she's ok.

As for who on WC's list I would want on Freo's list. Bowen would be my first choice. She deserves a RS nom in the coming rounds. Obviously Hooker and Swanson are good players. I wanted us to draft Imahra Cameron and she'd be a perfect fit for Freo. That's the 4, and that's it.

I wouldn't touch Gibson or Atkins now. Gibson is talented but a massive front runner and I just don't think mercenaries are good for culture - especially for a startup team.

I'd also rather give Strom the opportunity than have Laurie or Janz still. Strom is getting experience you can't buy and we're still ticking off wins. The way she stepped up in the second half on the weekend was amazing for an 18yo. She'll be one of the best rucks in a few years - she is miles from her ceiling. I could see us using both Tighe and Strom together in games next year - Cooper said it was likely this year prior to Tighe's ACL.

WC were never going to create a competitive side for this year imo. I still can't get my head around some of their pre-draft selections like Devlyn and Pisconeri nor some of their senior citizen drafting but they'll turn it around in time. I feel bad for saying this, because her agent is a champ (also Bowers' agent) but I think WC also made a big mistake grabbing Cowan as an assistant. I think they should have looked outside the bubble for coaches.

jatz14 - what's happened to McGuire? Has something happened with her relationship with Bowen?
Staggered she hadn't played. Would prefer her to Devlin. Commentators said on the weekend Eagles were missing 4 with injuries. Green is one, perhaps McGuire as well.

I don’t begrudge Hooker for leaving - but I do believe she’s shortened her career by going to the eagles. She’s getting smashed unmercilessly every time she gets near it. If it’s true she was heading east, I think she made a mistake going to the eagles purely from a playing point of view. Imagine her in the Collingwood, Dogs or North midfield. She’d be the best player in the comp (with Erin Phillips still out), as oppo teams couldn’t cover all the stars they have running around.
And yes, they wayToGo_ the weags do have some desirables that would be great to have playing for us, but in terms of ex-Freo players, I’m down to Hooker as the only player we truly miss.

(btw - Anyone know if Sabreena Duffy’s gf is related to Ashlee Atkins? Her name is Tamara Atkins. Just curious)

Great analysis. Thanks!

Atkins? Guessing money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Podcast with Ange Stannett being interview by Sarah Black.

Podcast with Hayley Miller, Sarah Garstone and Trent Cooper

I think we need some perspective on where we really sit. With conferences, and no overall accurate ladder for all 14 teams, Power Rankings kind of show where you are compared to all teams.

I know many think it's a load of BS, but there is some merit in looking at who's travelling well, and who's a pile of poo. I also know that all this talk about "you've only beaten someone ranked 12th" crap means that they are ranked 12th and we are ranked higher, partly because we beat them, so chicken/egg. But it is what it is, and at the end of the day, their ranking (and ours) is based on 4 games so far, not just a game against us.

We've beaten Geelong, after finally shaking them off, at home, in the last quarter (11th).
We were all over a pathetic WCE outfit (13th).
We had a lucky 'get out of jail' win over Collingwood, thanks to an immense effort by a defence under siege. We really had no right to win that game (6th).
We had an 'escape from Alcatraz' win over the Saints. Another expansion club. We did not deserve that win (10th).

We are currently ranked 1st, which isn't a bad thing at all. Brisbane are currently ranked 2nd. A blockbuster perhaps??

We then have WB away in Rd 6 (12th); Melbourne at home in Rd 7 (5th); Carlton away in Rd 8 (4th). Not an easy draw.

We gotta get our shit together big time, because otherwise we're set for a bit of a lesson in how to football properly on Sunday, playing second placed Brisbane, who jumped up from 4th to 2nd from Rd 3 to Rd 4 (we've been first since our big win over the weags). We're at home, and if we lose, watch us start the slide down these rankings. If we win this, I'll believe that we're the real deal in 2020.

After Rd 4:

Power rankings to Rd 4

1. Fremantle (first in Conference B, 4-0, 167.7%, ranking last week: 1st)

The only team to have four wins on the board, the Dockers used a get-out-of-jail-free card against St Kilda on Sunday. They lost 20 per cent in the space of a week, but are still sitting very nicely halfway through the season.

2. Brisbane (first in Conference A, 3-0-1, 165.2%, ranking last week: 4th)
The Lions have still only dropped two points for the season, and made light work of a disappointing GWS. Promisingly, a lot of improvement this year has come on the back of recruits like Cathy Svarc, Dakota Davidson and Maria Moloney.

3. North Melbourne (second in Conference A, 3-1, 189.5%, ranking last week: 3rd)
Consistency is key for the Roos, who had a few heart-in-the-mouth moments against Gold Coast but got over the line against a very competitive side. Currently one of the premier sides in the competition, this weekend's match against Adelaide looms large.

4. Carlton (third in Conference B, 3-1, 143.2%, ranking last week: 7th)
Bounded up the rankings on the back of a very impressive win against reigning premiers Adelaide. The Blues are capable of clean, well-structured footy; if we see it consistently, they should be a lock for finals.

5. Melbourne (second in Conference B, 3-1, 148.1%, ranking last week: 6th)
Melbourne finally shook off its goalkicking woes to record a valuable win over fellow Conference B side Collingwood. A big win against West Coast would be very handy in boosting the team's percentage.

6. Collingwood (fourth in Conference B, 2-2, 116.7%, ranking last week: 2nd)
Slid four places due to a disastrous weekend. A loss to fellow Conference B side Melbourne, season-ending injuries to key defenders Ash Brazill and Ruby Schleicher, and a Carlton win over Adelaide pushed the Magpies out of the top three.

7. Adelaide (third in Conference A, 2-2, 102.2%, ranking last week: 5th)
Positives: Erin Phillips and Rhiannon Metcalfe got through unscathed in their return from torn ACLs. Negatives: A poor loss to Carlton in a very winnable game, and were beaten in contested ball, usually a strength.

8. Gold Coast (fifth in Conference A, 1-2-1, 97.2%, ranking last week: 9th)
The scoreboard said Gold Coast lost to North Melbourne, but the Suns gave the Roos one hell of a scare. Will cause some headaches in the second half of the season, and a strong chance of seeing off Geelong this week.

9. GWS (fourth in Conference A, 2-2, 84.5%, ranking last week: 8th)
Just have the edge over Geelong and St Kilda by dint of an extra four points, but it was a worrying loss against Brisbane. The Giants' two wins have come against expansion sides Gold Coast and West Coast.

10. St Kilda (sixth in Conference B, 1-3, 70.9%, ranking last week: 10th)
Came oh-so-close against competition leader Fremantle, losing in heartbreaking circumstances. It's not a pretty style of footy by any stretch, but it gets the job done. Carlton next week may be a challenge, but Richmond is very achievable.

11. Geelong (sixth in Conference A, 1-3, 86.4%, ranking last week: 12th)
The Cats finally got their first win on the board against the lowly Tigers, smashing their previous highest score of 38 by finishing on 67. Still ringing the changes in trying to find their best forward mix, but Kate Darby made a difference on Saturday.

12. Western Bulldogs (fifth in Conference B, 1-3, 84.3%, ranking last week: 11th)
The Dogs had a young side in against West Coast as injuries begin to mount, but it was still a very costly loss. Finals look a tough ask now, with games against Collingwood, Fremantle and North Melbourne to come.

13. West Coast (seventh in Conference B, 1-3, 42.2%, ranking last week: 13th)
The relief was palpable as West Coast recorded its first AFLW win. Still a fair way off the pace, but confidence and momentum are very important in a short competition.

14. Richmond (seventh in Conference A, 0-4, 45.1%, ranking last week: 14th)
Now clearly last overall, the Tigers did manage to improve their percentage by 9.4 this week, and comfortably recorded their highest score of 45. Improvement is obvious, but there's a big gap between Richmond, West Coast and the rest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

Back