Women's Footy AFLW Fremantle - 2020 #1 Team - Season Cancelled

Remove this Banner Ad

Love that Roux got a rising star nomination. Well deserved.

Also was listening to Whatley yesterday and he said Freo was his favorite team to watch...of course that was all he said and they gave almost no coverage beyond that. But Pies, Blues and the usual Vic teams got a shite ton of air time. The AFL mindset of the media is so 1980s NFL. Some day they will realize that promoting all teams equally will actually result in more people being interested. Whatevs. They all deserve a kick in the a$$ like this.

91c4e63caea9bc97387125a893fc7463.jpg

Fremantle Dockers AFLW (@freodockersAFLW) Tweeted:
Rising Star alert Roxy Roux has earned herself a NAB AFLW Rising Star nomination after playing just two games in the #AFLW Congratulations Roxy #Foreverfreo
https://t.co/rp3R1yZp7D

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
Some interesting info as AFL HQ credits AFLW for booming profit levels. Now it is time they invested some of that in player welfare (S&C at each club) to reduce the incidence of injuries.

The AFL has recorded a booming profit as fans flock to the footy in droves, and one key competition is credited with boosting the code’s popularity.

Footy supremo Gillon McLachlan will spend $22.4m on AFLW this year compared to $16.4m in 2019 as he ploughs booming profits into growing the women’s game.

The news comes as the code confirmed its status as a money making juggernaut, delivering a $48.5m profit on the back of booming attendances, higher broadcast income and commercial sponsors.

This is slightly down on the $50.4m in 2018 as more money was spent on the growth of AFLW from 10 to 14 teams, boosting funding for country footy and expanding the game in the north.

Overall AFL revenue leapt by $15.3 million to $793.9 million on the back of income boosts, including an increase in broadcast income of $5m to $6m.

It is understood the income from the finals series — a key driver of AFL income — was even with the previous year.

And AFL clubs also had a profitable year with their aggregate profits expected to increase by $2m to $4m compared to last year.

Clubs also reduced debts by a collective $8.3m in the last year.

And in the last year it can be revealed the AFL handed $314.7 million to AFL clubs — which is a mixture of base payments all clubs receive and special variable payments.

The AFL has had a strategy of trying to get the clubs to stand on their own feet through a number of equalisation strategies.

Distributions to clubs only grew $4m — or one per cent — and this is believed to be related to the AFL covering increased total player payments.

It is believed the variable funding allocated to help clubs in need has not changed much in the last year.

And the bosses wages were flat with the total payments to AFL executives and commissioners coming in at $10.57 million in 2019. This compared to $10.73 million in 2018.

Other expenses by the league included an additional $18m investment in country football across the next three years to 2022.

The AFL also gave $37.7 million to the AFL Players Association to cover things ranging from operating grants to cash for the players retirement fund.

Local footy is also set to be a big winner in the coming year with the AFL budgeting $64.8m in 2020 after spending $58.8 million on Community football development in 2019.

The club coffers benefited from an all-time attendance record for the Toyota AFL Premiership Season.

Clubs collect revenue from the home and away season and this record was broken for the third consecutive year with 6.95 million people attending the 198 AFL matches.

AFL club membership — which combines club and direct AFL membership — hit its 19th year of consecutive growth.

This also surpassed one million members — hitting 1.06 million — for a second-straight year.

Participation in the sport also boomed with growth in female players significantly contributing to that increase with 586,422 women and girls playing football nationally – an increase of almost 11 per cent.

The expansion of AFLW saw record attendances with a total of 244,000 people attending matches in 2019.

The league’s overall “consolidated result” figure which includes its other businesses — such as ownership of Marvel Stadium and Champion Data — came in with a profit of $27.9 million, compared to $25.9m in 2018. This is lower due to having to depreciate assets like the stadium.

In his review of the year, AFL chairman Richard Goyder said it had been a significant year for the league.

“The success and popularity of the game can be attributed to so many at all levels – both community and elite – who contribute so much,” Mr Goyder said.

“Our men’s competition continues to be strong – a year of records across home and away attendance, membership … and participation – but the desire of women and girls to be part of our game at every level drives our growth.”

No she was a Essendon supporter.
Fair enough. Apparently her parents are die-hard weags, and give her a fair bit of lip about playing for Freo, but she loves the club, and has no intention of going anywhere. Reckon by that celebration, she's a Freo convert now. :thumbsu:

I see us beating Collingwood comfortably this week, these two weeks have filled me with high optimism that this team can contend for a flag.
I hope so :) The only thing that concerns me is an 18yo Strom having to battle it out in the ruck week after week. Thought she was great against Geelong but struggled a bit against WC. There are going to be tougher assignments than both of those two. Bowers and KJG being tackling machines helps though I suppose.

As a side note I'm a little bit over reading about WC being such a young list. They are the 4th oldest list. Their list is about a year older than ours on average. They have 4 players under 21, Freo have 7. I think a lot of WC fans share the concerns I have about their recruiting/drafting but really I think this shows how well Freo has done with its recruiting, retention and drafting. Crossing fingers the positivity continues.

I hope so :) The only thing that concerns me is an 18yo Strom having to battle it out in the ruck week after week. Thought she was great against Geelong but struggled a bit against WC. There are going to be tougher assignments than both of those two. Bowers and KJG being tackling machines helps though I suppose.

As a side note I'm a little bit over reading about WC being such a young list. They are the 4th oldest list. Their list is about a year older than ours on average. They have 4 players under 21, Freo have 7. I think a lot of WC fans share the concerns I have about their recruiting/drafting but really I think this shows how well Freo has done with its recruiting, retention and drafting. Crossing fingers the positivity continues.
You make a great point about Strom. We need to manage her work load.

The main reason why Fremantle is younger and more players under 21 is that we have had more drafts.

West Coast needed to make up her squad with ex pats, older women not already in the system, ex Dockers who couldn’t make it or Fremantle borderline players and experienced players in Hooker, Gibson and Swanson.

Over the next few years West Coast will get the picks to get younger.

The main reason why Fremantle is younger and more players under 21 is that we have had more drafts.
And that they chose to pick up mature players at the expense of investing in younger players coming through. Last draft they only picked up 1 player under 21, Freo drafted 5. Three of the players they drafted were over 30yo. Freo only have one player over 30yo on their entire list (Clifford). It seemed a strange strategy but if they weren't drawing from the same pool of talent I probably wouldn't even pay attention - good luck to them. I am very happy with how Freo have shaped their list, particularly in the past two years.

It seemed a strange strategy
They needed to be competitive. They are coming up against a team in an established market, trying to draw back their fans to the brand.

West Coast AFLW can't afford to finish with one or two wins a season for a few years, especially if Fremantle AFLW are achieving.

Generally speaking, I think that supporters float around until they get locked in by success. Once you've supported a side through a ride and success you're rusted on chasing that dragon again but mediocre performance you can shift over to the other side.

So the plan would be to be competitive so as to not watch AFLW fans nailing their flag to the mast at Freo with the Women's Dockers bringing home a flag.

They needed to be competitive. They are coming up against a team in an established market, trying to draw back their fans to the brand.

West Coast AFLW can't afford to finish with one or two wins a season for a few years, especially if Fremantle AFLW are achieving.

Generally speaking, I think that supporters float around until they get locked in by success. Once you've supported a side through a ride and success you're rusted on chasing that dragon again but mediocre performance you can shift over to the other side.

So the plan would be to be competitive so as to not watch AFLW fans nailing their flag to the mast at Freo with the Women's Dockers bringing home a flag.
The most profitable club in Australia with a massive membership base and a premiership in the past two years needed to see immediate success in AFLW? Sorry but I just don't buy it. Not complaining though... it meant we got a bunch of gun young players on our list because they didn't grab them.

The most profitable club in Australia with a massive membership base and a premiership in the past two years needed to see immediate success in AFLW? Sorry but I just don't buy it. Not complaining though... it meant we got a bunch of gun young players on our list because they didn't grab them.

The brand is more important the bigger it is.

I think the prospects for the AFLW team, not the club as a whole, are different.

It's one thing to support the mens like they always have. But how many are going to sit and watch the Womens get belted every week? Particularly if you're not inclined to see values in the AFLW to begin with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the prospects for the AFLW team, not the club as a whole, are different.

It's one thing to support the mens like they always have. But how many are going to sit and watch the Womens get belted every week? Particularly if you're not inclined to see values in the AFLW to begin with.
But they are getting belted each week anyway with the 4th oldest list. I strongly doubt they'd be dumb enough to think they'd be highly competitive with that mature list they've put together.

I haven't ventured much onto the WC board but I suspect a lot of them are holding on to young Mikayla Bowen as their one positive from what they've seen so far. If they'd been selective about the mature players they brought in I could understand but it appeared they just opened the doors to anyone willing to come at the expense of surrounding Bowen with similar aged peers.

Meanwhile we've got Garstone, O'Driscoll and Sergeant going crazy in the box whilst Stewart, Roux, Duffy, Webb, Strom are all out on the field. Grieve, Sharp and Stannett are all only 22yo as well.

And that they chose to pick up mature players at the expense of investing in younger players coming through. Last draft they only picked up 1 player under 21, Freo drafted 5. Three of the players they drafted were over 30yo. Freo only have one player over 30yo on their entire list (Clifford). It seemed a strange strategy but if they weren't drawing from the same pool of talent I probably wouldn't even pay attention - good luck to them. I am very happy with how Freo have shaped their list, particularly in the past two years.
Based on what they have said, they have a 3 year draft plan. So year 1 isn't the team they have in mind. They got 2 kids with priority selections. None were really available from Freo in the pre draft period.

The draft meant Freo were always going to get Roux. They prioritised the young mid Cameron over Strom.

Then they target older players, these older players are to set standards and culture, but will be replaced over the next 2 years.

Remember, clubs are going to have to delist maybe 6 or 7 players next year, and the year after. Eagles are likely to get 2 picks before Freos first, at least for the next draft.

I doubt they thought they would win a game this year, regardless of the drafting strategy this year, so why not plan over 3?

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

I doubt they thought they would win a game this year, regardless of the drafting strategy this year, so why not plan over 3?
Completely agree they should plan for the future - that was my original point. Invest in the future not try and buy immediate success.

I suppose the question is, how many players do you need "just to set standards"? Who are they setting standards for? There are only 6 girls under 23 on WC's list.

I think there are a bunch of girls that would become far better players in 2-3 years if they were currently on an AFLW list. I personally would have gambled on a few of those rather than picking up at least half a dozen list cloggers. I felt a bit the same with Freo's recruiting in their first couple of years (ie the Cowan years).

But they are getting belted each week anyway with the 4th oldest list. I strongly doubt they'd be dumb enough to think they'd be highly competitive with that mature list they've put together.

I haven't ventured much onto the WC board but I suspect a lot of them are holding on to young Mikayla Bowen as their one positive from what they've seen so far. If they'd been selective about the mature players they brought in I could understand but it appeared they just opened the doors to anyone willing to come at the expense of surrounding Bowen with similar aged peers.

Meanwhile we've got Garstone, O'Driscoll and Sergeant going crazy in the box whilst Stewart, Roux, Duffy, Webb, Strom are all out on the field. Grieve, Sharp and Stannett are all only 22yo as well.

I agree they've made a mistake in not gunning for the younger players at the draft, and the results will probably show that they made a mistake looking to be competitive season 1 and failing rather then investing in their future (although keep in mind they've gone against two of the best sides in the AFLW in the first two weeks, and the beltings may not be reflective of how they finish up overall.)

I don't see the beltings helping them establish their AFLW team as something their fans should care about though, and I can see why they acted to avoid that (even though they probably made it a lot worse.)

I hope so :) The only thing that concerns me is an 18yo Strom having to battle it out in the ruck week after week. Thought she was great against Geelong but struggled a bit against WC. There are going to be tougher assignments than both of those two. Bowers and KJG being tackling machines helps

Richmond men’s have shown that winning the hit outs shouldn’t be an impediment to success.

The thing that impressed me about Strom at the weekend was towards the end of Q3 she had three ground ball efforts in a row on the edge of our defensive 50 - and ended up spoiling the ball to our advantage. That sort of effort is what will take us deep into the comp this year.

Did Roxy win the Rd 2 MOTY, or was she just nominated?

And didn’t Duffy get a nom for one of her off the ground goals in Rd 1 or am I imagining? If I’m not imagining, did she win it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back