Game Day AFLW Round 4, 2024: West Coast vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amy Franklin an absolute chad for dobbing that goal with her finger bent in a completely different direction. Team's built different this year. I'm loving it. Said it before and I'll say it again, grabbing Daisy was the best thing this club did since whatever moves they did to get them the '18 premiership.

Thoroughly enjoying watching the girls right now. Love Drennan in the clinches, ability of Lewis and Britton to find space and Ella Roberts ground ball work and skill to lose her player is amazing.
Like the potential of Cleaver - bit lazy with her kicking sometimes but shows a lot for a tall 3rd gamer.
Look forward to a big test against Brisbane this weekend - can’t see us winning but would love to see us more competitive than we’ve traditionally been against the stronger sides.

So, so good to have the girls team doing this - has been a long time coming. Genuinely good to watch too, great play, great structure and outstanding pressure. Ella Roberts will be a superstar.

I said it last week, but i'll say it again. God, it is good to have someone coaching that actually understands the womens game.

We look so much more competitive and the players actually look like they are invested.

I have no doubt in Daisy Pearce’s extensive football knowledge, but the biggest impact in her hiring was her name. She’s probably the biggest name in this generation of women’s football and there’s no way that the contract players wouldn’t get a huge boost being led by someone of that stature. To me the biggest change is that they just look a lot more like a professional football outfit.

Full credit to the club for digging into the war chest and hiring her. The only thing that was really going to turn around the fortunes of the club was to have a high-profile coach (either female or male) sign on to lead the squad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BLOODY HELL YEAH THE GIRLS.

That was sick. Just finished the replay, nervous early, Pies are obviously very much struggling at the moment but wow. We played football, with a system. Daisy might be the one.

Ella Roberts in her early season Harley Reid ‘**** you, I’m better than you’ era. Franklin presented hard. Zakfer’s best game for the year. Drennan immense again. Hosking plays for the absolute sickos in the crowd. Cleaver was much more engaged and the shift to the ruck was a nice wrinkle.

Just can’t speak highly enough of the state of the program.

3-1 in an 11 game season should be finals, but I don’t think we’re anywhere near there yet. We’ve played who we’ve played and done the business. But it’s not about that, it’s about the fact that they are playing football with a clear plan, they’re all on the same page, you can see individual and team growth week on week.

Feel bad for the Pies with their injury situation, but honestly we should have won that by more, and any time you can throw out a 34-0 run at any level of footy you take it.

Just so pleased for them all, and pleased that the club is getting reward for taking this seriously for a change. Hopefully the investment and engagement continues now that we’ve had a taste.

Crazy thing is, of the active players we're missing Roux, Rowley and McDonald, all of whom would be starters if fit. Then the inactive players, Hooker, Kavanagh and Johnson would all make the team too. So from our actual list, we're missing six top players.

Frankie's starting to look like the genuine leading forward everyone's been hoping she could be, she'll only get better. If Daisy can perform a similar miracle with Roxy, we'll actually have a serious forward line, because Hosko's found her calling up there, and Gibbo's good too.

Zoe's a proper player now, she looked properly good tonight. Schilling's not just a good mark, she's becoming a good footballer, nice kick, good game sense. And Rentsch looks great, plus Thomas as always. The backline when McDonald gets back could be seriously good.

Midfield's still the concern, could have been a very different game if the Pies had Davey and Bonnici, and we still got beaten in Clearances 37 to 28. But I think some of that was Daisy took advantage of no Davey and Bonnici to put Ella forward a lot more. We won't do that against Brisbane, and when Ella's on the ball, the midfield looks least okay by AFLW standards. Get Rowley back, it'll be better again.

Maybe time to start reassessing what draft pick we'll get.

Brisbane coming at a great time. The momentum is good, the vibes are immaculate, but truthfully they should really comfortably get over the top of us.

Which makes it something of a free swing, and a litmus test as to how we stack up. The fixture has been kind thus far, but I want to see how the short kick-mark looks against a better drilled outfit, and if we can keep the immense pressure up against the fittest sides in footy.

Huge opportunity at essentially the best time you could design.

Brisbane coming at a great time. The momentum is good, the vibes are immaculate, but truthfully they should really comfortably get over the top of us.

Which makes it something of a free swing, and a litmus test as to how we stack up. The fixture has been kind thus far, but I want to see how the short kick-mark looks against a better drilled outfit, and if we can keep the immense pressure up against the fittest sides in footy.

Huge opportunity at essentially the best time you could design.
Our wins have been in messy, congested games against messy, congested teams. It's great that we can do that, because that's a big chunk of the AFLW right now, meaning we could get more wins against those kinds of teams. But Brisbane aren't that, so it'll be interesting to see if we can stick with a team that plays expansive football. My guess is we'll lose, and possibly by a margin, but I'm hoping we'll have good competitive stretches and will learn something about what's needed to compete against THOSE teams.
Any draft experts know who'll be available at 18?
Ha. For what it's worth, Draft Central says Grace Baba, who I don't know, but Georgie Brisbane at 19 (they guess) and she's terrific.

It's a crazy draft, there will be players picked at the end of Round 2 who would have been top ten a few years ago. I just want another gun midfielder. If we can't get Centra or Fish, then Sara Howley would be an amazing get, or Lou Painter, Jas Evans, Sierra Grieves or Lily Patterson. They should all be available somewhere between pick 6 and pick 15, and would all have been top 3 in most previous drafts.

So was playing 2 games in Melbourne over a 5 day period a trial for the mens team doing the same? I'm assuming they didn't fly back after the game vs Bulldogs? I've heard in the past excuses about needing to be home for family (by mens team), but that seemingly wasn't an issue for the females?

So was playing 2 games in Melbourne over a 5 day period a trial for the mens team doing the same? I'm assuming they didn't fly back after the game vs Bulldogs? I've heard in the past excuses about needing to be home for family (by mens team), but that seemingly wasn't an issue for the females?
Just part of the AFL condensing the everloving **** out of the fixture. Affects all sides (as far as I’m aware), wasn’t an Eagles or non-Vic initiative, they’re just trying to squeeze 11 games into 10 weeks.

Playing off a four day break against a team who has a three day break PLUS travel is dangerous and negligent. Shouldn’t be emulated in the men’s and shouldn’t happen again imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back